Modelu 3D Scanning & Printing

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Alan Buttler was in attendance at the recent 7mm scale Bristol show with his "Modelu" stand, so I finally decided to bite the bullet and get myself scanned. Here's me in my civvies....

_20160212_224338.JPG

A few months ago, Alan scanned a Colas driver for his modern train crew range and "Big Jim" is now available in three different poses. Being a driver for DB Schenker (and having all my uniform in the back of the car), I thought I'd offer my services too....

_20160212_224324.JPG

_20160212_224237.JPG

_20160212_224259.JPG

I must admit to feeling a bit of a twat whilst posing for the scans, especially in my hi-vis traincrew stuff, but when some other, previously scanned bloke showed up dressed like Sherlock Holmes (he was wearing a cape and a deerstalker hat), my inhibitions just melted away. :))

It's time to throw all those crude, blobby whitemetal figures in the bin, get yourself (and your family and friends), to a show where Modelu are in attendence and start populating your miniature world (in the scale of your choice), with realistic figures that will do the rest of your layout justice! :thumbs:

More details here....

Modelu

Regards

Dan

Last edited:

SimonT

Western Thunderer
I was talking to a couple at Warley who have on their train set scans of themselves and the grand children. They intend to get the kids scanned every year. Beats a pencil mark on the kitchen wall!

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
I was talking to a couple at Warley who have on their train set scans of themselves and the grand children. They intend to get the kids scanned every year. Beats a pencil mark on the kitchen wall!

Great idea - I'd like to have my daughters scanned, but trying to get a 3 year old and 5 year old to stand still for long enough could be tricky! :))

Regards

Dan

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
I picked up a loco crew at Bristol, very impressive, I shall be getting my self scanned at some point as well

Last edited:

Len Cattley

Western Thunderer
You look great in that scan Dan I can see it's you . Must speak to Modelu when I get to a show and ask if can 1/35 scale.

Len

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
I've just been reading an old RMWeb thread from 2009: RMweb Archive • View topic - Dan's 7mm Workbench - JLTRT Western S7 wheels
in which Dan wrote:
"Perhaps an enterprising manufacturer could use 3D scanning technology to scan some real people?"
Way ahead of your time, Dan. Way ahead!
Dave

I don't even remember writing that. Mind you, it was seven years ago - these days, I struggle to remember what I did seven days ago! :))

Regards

Dan