4mm Monks: perhaps NOT a Classic Minories - for a grandchild.

jonte

Western Thunderer
“In all the years we’ve been married, I’ve never yet seen you build a train set with all the grass and trees (she means scenery) and moving trains like we’ve seen at the model railway shows!”, exclaimed my stoic other-half in a fit of disbelief when I announced my latest endeavour. And you know what, fellow Westerners, she’s right (as always; but don’t let on I wrote that).

You see, despite my litany of incomplete threads started with the best of intentions, it’s true that I’ve never built a layout - I won’t even say ‘finished a layout’ as, if truth be known, I’ve always been nearer start than finish. There are myriad reasons why, but the key is that I don’t have the skill or ability I like to think I have nor the stamina for maintaining an interest. So with the Mea Culpa done and dusted, what’s different this time?

Well, with the announcement several months ago of the joyous news that we are soon to be grandparents, and a long-held notion that all children like toys that move, I decided once and for all that this would be the opportunity to build something appropriate and see it through to the - I won’t write ‘bitter’ under the circs - end.

So, with the preamble out of the way, what to build?

The traditional roundy was an obvious choice, and for all the right reasons, but with only a realistic 5’ width or so available in my den, the choice of plan was limited. A mind to the future that would see my daughter accommodating it (she’s quite particular like her mother!), despite having a larger house than mine, soon put paid, so it was back to the drawing board. Now, I’ve always wanted to build Minories, but messing with the plan had me going round in circles before ending up with something gargantuan that bore absolutely no resemblance to the original. And this brought to light the main cause for my inertia over all these years: I’m plagued by indecision! So that was that.
But in essence, Minories unfettered, was something that had entertained generations of modellers, so who was I to alter it? (I did consider adding a couple of points from the kick-back out of platform three to join with the inbound line that would allow a train to enter the platform while allowing one to leave platform two simultaneously as per B’Head Woodside, but there I was going off on a tangent once more). So, with available space, design already worked out and a renewed determination to stick to the plan, all I needed to do was build it.

Easier said than done, but I got a head start when I mentioned being stuck for time to my brother-in-law, who in next to no time had the ‘carcass’ available to take away - I’m a little too dilatory for him, and my chopping and changing and delaying of working dimensions while work progressed, made him a little fractious but I’m pleased to report that, as you can see from the photos, I now have something to work with.

I’m still not sure about how the final scene will pan out, but eventually, I’m thinking of clothing the front in some sort of viewing screen possibly held with the use of magnets. I do however, have a number of old photos of Liverpool scenes which I’m hoping to incorporate.

Which brings me to the point of location, period and Company portrayed.

With it being just a train set for grandfather and grandchild to bond, I’m not going to be stuck too rigidly to prototype apart from to say that it will be a former GWR terminus, set in late BR days and based around Liverpool. Actually, I had Disused Stations: Birkenhead Monks Ferry Station in mind when I was thinking of a setting, but apart from the coincidence of also having had only three platforms, it will bear no resemblance to the original. I do have it to thank for the name, though; well the ‘Monks’ part anyway which contained no punctuation as far as I can tell.

In fitting with this contemporary plan, I’ve decided to use Peco Streamline (and what a job to acquire post-pandemic - thanks to Dave at Roxley models, here) opting for medium (electrofrog) points in keeping with the original design. I shall also be using standard Peco point motors. Fortuitously, the decision to build Minories as intended has provided the opportunity to use up all the point motors, flex track and wood I’ve accumulated over the years, so will keep it all topical in terms of carbon footprints.

Talking of using what I have and being relevant, I’ve decided to dig out from my wardrobe that Bachmann EZ Command controller that’s been waiting for it’s starring role for several years, so this will see me going DCC - control wise only; points and hopefully working signals will be SPDT switch operated with which I’m more familiar. As it’s new territory, I shall check that it all works by DC first, but I’m optimistic.

So, with all these firsts for me in my mind, fellow Westerners, I hope and trust you will permit me to introduce ‘Monks’, and while a little underwhelming compared to some of the very best modelling to be found here, I hope it might capture your attention and prove a little nostalgic for some.

Jonte

Folded. I've some clasps to to keep the boards attached (in the vertical) and yet to be fitted. The pattern makers dowel (male part) can be seen at the end of the fiddle yard board. Cassettes will be utilised here.
0C58505E-394F-45F6-8C8A-493A7C78FA75.jpeg

The frame including diagonals to prevent twist. These boards are bomb-proof, but care is still required to ensure that the board being lowered remains in one plain so as not to strain the pine hinge bearers.

8E283620-D243-44D5-9EAC-E24D9D497A99.jpeg

The assemblage laid out with fiddle yard attached (which still needs boarding out).

758E347E-B406-4A5F-A9DE-44D32DC1B8F6.jpeg

Track has been laid out and datum marks made on backboard and ends as the whole will be covered in thick cork tiles with the ends laid in more 12mm ply to make the joints more substantial. To further assist with the placing of the points, holes have been drilled below frogs and tie bar and matchsticks inserted so that when turned over, they can be removed and the holes redrilled through the cork.

EE7357BB-2FD2-4D00-823A-B5692F4AFFD5.jpeg 8FFA7EA9-9840-4DE2-A04C-A8A5F0368F69.jpeg

I wouldn’t have bothered corking the base as I’ve been at pains to keep everything flush at the joints, however, the track will have to be raised as I’ve decided to incorporate these redundant ‘supports’ into the station:

691ABE06-9D59-4881-8646-990F99518E88.jpeg

jonte

Western Thunderer
Cool - I'll definitely be watching Jonte!

Standing by.

Thanks Matt and Rob for your kind expressions of interest. I hope my lack of greenery in this urban scene doesn't prove too disappointing.

Incidentally, I’ve just realised that my assumption that everyone is familiar with Minories might just be pushing the envelope, so for those not so familiar or whose memories might have misted with the passage of time, here’s the design and plan gleaned from the ‘net which I trust nobody minds:

EB457F7C-30F1-4C16-BE42-5FD0A031EE38.jpeg

Jonte

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Urban is good, Jonte.

One day, I'm sure, I will do a little something in a similar vein. Always fancied a Bristolesque inner city something featuring ex-Midland Railway locos and infrastructure.

Few things "to get off my chest first"...........

Rob.

jonte

Western Thunderer
Urban is good, Jonte.

One day, I'm sure, I will do a little something in a similar vein. Always fancied a Bristolesque inner city something featuring ex-Midland Railway locos and infrastructure.

Few things "to get off my chest first"...........

Rob.

Many thanks for your kind endorsement, Rob. With your weathering skills, that would be a draw for me!

I rather suspect the contents of this would be of interest to you, then:

DF2C068B-E95A-40D8-861D-0A2B212C29CF.jpeg

Part of a recent birthday present from my brother. Now, loathed as I am to admit it, he unwittingly purchased two copies of the journal at different times from different sources without realising his error. I took him at his word when he advised me to ‘bin one of them!’. Reluctantly, I did so as I’m simply running out of space. If only I’d known of your interest, you’d have been welcome to have it, Rob. Oh well.

Incidentally, Temple Meads - which I think I’m right in saying was the terminus for your fondly remembered Midland stock (?), will be the inspiration for my terminus roof, although with my scratch building skills, a more bargain-basement version, probably utilising, in part - and perhaps fittingly - the fondly remembered Peco station roof kit. I hope Paul of Bambrick Studios doesn’t mind me posting this (I shall remove if so required), but oh, how I would love to emulate this....in my dreams of course!

348D908D-F48F-41E5-B55C-F15DCA424748.jpeg

Thanks again for your interest, Rob.

Jonte

jonte

Western Thunderer
Will watch with interest, I do like a good urban terminus.

Thank you, Alan.

As I mentioned, it will be more of a toy than a model, but nevertheless, I shall do be utmost to capture the urban grot.

Jonte

Reactions: AJC

jonte

Western Thunderer
Thank you all, fellow Westerners, for your kind expressions of interest.

Jonte

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I wouldn’t have bothered corking the base as I’ve been at pains to keep everything flush at the joints, however, the track will have to be raised as I’ve decided to incorporate these redundant ‘supports’ into the station:

I trust you'll also be usilising the trainshed roof you've built.

jonte

Western Thunderer
I trust you'll also be usilising the trainshed roof you've built.

Hi Dave and thanks for your interest.

Glad you remember it.

Unfortunately it’s a tad too big to accommodate at 30” width, despite some head scratching to try and make it fit (the boards I’ve used are only 14”, still a little wider than the original).

I’m afraid it will have to remain in abeyance as I’ve still to finish Seacombe, and at the glacial pace at which I work, an opportunity to utilise it could be quite some time off.

In one respect it’s a shame as the iron work is that of Monks Ferry from which I’ve taken the name and would therefore have been quite apt.

Cheers.

Jonte

MarkR

Western Thunderer
Hi Jonte,
Your project looks very interesting and has got my little grey cells working!
I see the it was originally published in a 1957 "Railway Modeller", would you know which month, as I would like to source a copy.
I watch with interest.
Many thanks
Mark

jonte

Western Thunderer
Hi Jonte,
Your project looks very interesting and has got my little grey cells working!
I see the it was originally published in a 1957 "Railway Modeller", would you know which month, as I would like to source a copy.
I watch with interest.
Many thanks
Mark

Hi Mark, and thank you for your interest.

According to a thread on another forum, it first appeared in April’s edition of Railway Modeller 1957.

I can not vouch for that, however, the poster appears to be quite knowledgable about the history etc. of the layout.

Perhaps a quick post in the ‘Members’ section here may prove fruitful?

Thanks again,

Jonte

Alan

Western Thunderer
Stewart the Minories plan is also in several editions of Peco's "60 Plans for Small Layouts"

jonte

Western Thunderer
A brief update, fellow Westerners.

The fiddle yard has been boarded out using offcuts, the raised section at the back wide enough - hopefully - to take two cassettes side by side 93690143-19F0-4BBC-8792-C85E481E36B6.jpeg

Next, the central boards where they meet are as plumb as a I can get them. The added wooden raised sections are 12 mm ply and were required to raise the level of the track as per my earlier post:

B12E6EC8-661A-4F87-B750-F05102C52DBF.jpeg

Finally an overall view:

B83110F4-39EE-4AD3-9989-392A20F99BCB.jpeg

The cork tiles are also in place and we’re weighted down while the glue set to ensure it’s as level as possible.

The ‘white’ is a sort of wax paper backing to protect the adhesive below, as these specimens were designed as notice boards. The adhesive would have been ideal to hold the track in place, however, I doubt it’s longevity and in any case, would have made marking out for the track a bit of an issue , unless a permanent marker would have helped. So I’m going to remove the backing and sand a smidgeon off to remove the glue. This will also make it easier to glue the track down later.

I’m hoping to have the track installed next.

Jonte

jonte

Western Thunderer
A little difficulty getting to sleep tonight fellow Westerners, so thought I’d post up a spot of work I did over the weekend with regard to commencement of track laying, and which continues on from my last post.

Not a great deal of work, mind, and as usual, my mooted intentions with the cork didn’t quite go to plan.

Briefly, when I removed the waxed paper coverings to reveal the adhesive backing, the sanding - in the main - didn’t, as I had hoped, remove it. I had some success on a couple of edges, but it tended to roll up into a sticky lump which sort of flied in the face of all I’d done up to this point to keep the surface as flat as possible. In the end - discretion being the better part of valour - I merely gave it a light sanding to provide a key for the glue. Quite honestly, I wasn’t sure whether it would react with the pva glue, with which I intend to glue down the track, so I performed a test on a scrap piece which I’m pleased to report dried without any ill-effects. That said, I really don’t know how long the cork and the adhesive backing will remain friends, but if they don’t, that’s life.

The next task saw me collapsing the hinged boards to reveal the track datum marks mentioned previously, so that I could mark out for track alignment. Easier said than done as 1) nothing in my possession marked it, so out I popped to purchase a permanent marker, and 2) the ‘sticky’ surface made it difficult to manoeuvre my straight edge (I also ended up with a partially waxed arm!). A quick test with a single point showed that I’m along the right lines if you’ll pardon.....

So here’s a photo to show where I’m up to:

0A92E1F1-03FB-4C03-9B0B-DBB4C8182E76.jpeg

Cheers for now.

Jonte

jonte

Western Thunderer
What a palava, fellow Westerners.

As luck would have it, I decided to see if the pins that accompanied the cork tiles could be of use in pinning the track whilst the glue set when track laying. My intention had been to drill the occasional sleeper each side of the rails and pin them using some dress making pins, as instructed on the Peco track laying guides, but the ‘wide’ collar of the aforementioned pins looked as though it would obviate the need for drilling holes as described. Thankfully, I decided to test the theory on a scrap piece of cork. Read on to see why.

Now perhaps this should’ve occurred to me before, but after pinning one of the points to the sticky surface to conduct my test, I decided to switch the switch blades for no other reason than that’s what you can do with a RTR spring operated point, and - to my horror - whilst it was fine in one direction, it seemed to stick to the surface on the other. I managed to unpin said turnout - although wrenching it from the tar-like surface without irreparably damaging it was another story - and transfer it to the baseboard where you may recall I’d sanded the sticky surface so that it wasn’t, well, so sticky. A little better, but still the odd ‘catch’.

On inspection, it appeared that although the tie bars were above the base of the sleepers, the bar itself was not horizontal in motion. I knew deep down that something had to be done as it would only get worse, and surely there can be nothing worse than a layout that doesn’t work......, but what? I’m no engineer.

I flopped into a handy sun chair on the patio, preferring to bake in the midday sun than consider the alternative to the problem. Ever had that sinking feeling?

Several options crossed my limited grey matter - none of them palatable - until I reached the unenviable conclusion that the sticky stuff just had to go.

Mustering the strength whilst sucking on an iced-lolly/lolly-ice, I considered that ‘heat’ might just be a useful ally in this pending war of attrition, so armed with madam’s hairdryer, I set about the task. If any fellow Westerner should unfortuitously end up in a similar situation, the secret is: not too much, not too little heat.

Having used up the last digit that still had skin covering its fingerprint, I resorted to an offcut of 2 x 1, rolling it up as I went. This occasionally went to plan and came off in a roll that covered the full width of a tile, but more often than not, it tore which involved scraping up strands of the stuff, which tended to gouge the surface in places.

Anyway, thankfully, I came out on top after a couple hours of total frustration, and apart from the middle area which required filling with some Wilkes(?) filler (roughly in the area across which the track will traverse), most of it remained fairly flush, especially where it mattered around the areas of the board joints.

Following some fine sanding the following day, I’m pleased to report that the cork where required, is as flat as a fluke and as unsticky as water - I spread some of the filler residue around just in case, but it wasn’t really required.

Luckily, my permanent marker lines survived the ordeal so it was a straight forward task to reinstate the datum lines.

So, now I’m back to where I started, but at least it’s a major headache eased:

E5D0656B-2A5F-4271-8CB3-BE7A02360264.jpeg

Jonte

jonte

Western Thunderer
Since my earlier post, fellow Westerners, I’ve managed to re-place the track on the cork to test the trueness of the lines. Thankfully, all seems in order:

1DA04A1D-D9CF-4EC4-AF70-D7AA504C3C7F.jpeg AD39E7C9-9E9E-4C7A-B2EC-330154DB0B90.jpeg

The furthest point from the camera has had the outsides of the sleepers drilled fore and aft, which I’ve pinned using those lace pins mentioned earlier. A couple more have been marked for sleeper trimming to fit snugly with their neighbours, which I’ll look at next. Once the feed points have been marked, I’ll lift the points and wire them for attaching to a SPDT switch.

Latest thinking is to forego gluing down with Pva, as the white of the glue masks the position lines, so I’ll drill and pin each in turn and let the glue for the ballast do the job instead.

Thanks for looking,

Jonte

jonte

Western Thunderer
Pressing on with track laying prep, fellow Westerners, has seen me cutting my first piece of track for the build, which consists of a short curve between the points on the top piece of track. Using the diverging road of one of the points as a guide, it saw me get it right first time, although more by luck than skill, and I’d forgotten what a tight fit those fish plates were:

4DACAD28-C565-4737-9A79-C33A47D758A8.jpeg 9959C321-3DB1-4E31-BB63-D3D56750836D.jpeg

Further marking out has resulted in ‘four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire’ (or is it now Greater Manchester ?), or what seems like it. Twelve milli ply takes some drilling! My den smells like it’s been ‘sacked by marauding Vikings, but seriously, I have to keep checking that the smoke from each hole caused by drilling has abated:

1EAB0088-943D-40A9-A4D1-F62DAE389318.jpeg

The largest holes are below the tie bars; the rest are for frog feed and power to the rails (I’m going to bond the stock with the crossing rail on each side). Larger than I would have preferred, but at least it gives me wiggle room. I’ll fill them once the track is layed.

Now for some soldering.

Jonte