Prototype Monochrome from the Fifties.

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
The tidying up continues - here are some monochrome pictures I took in my early days with fixed focus cameras and very little technical knowledge. I regret I have no specific dates for them other than that they were taken in the 1950's. I make no apology for the quality - they were the best I could do with the rather basic equipment that was all I could afford at the time, combined with commercial processing. I just trust that they may be of some interest and/or entertainment.

img011.jpg
D15 62509, fitted with a former oil carrying tender, enters Hunstanton station with a local train from Kings Lynn. The loco was not long for withdrawal.

img012.jpg

B17/6 61627 Aske Hall on the yard at Hunstanton having turned and watered, waits to back on to a return London passenger working.
img005.jpg
Standard (f 2-10-0 92153 blasts up Essendine bank with a fitted freight.

img013.jpg

One of Leicester Midland's 2P 4-4-0's, believed 40485 waits for the road at Cattle Market sidings, Leicester.

img015.jpg
An unidentified ex-LNWR G2a heads south through the outskirts of Leicester along the Midland main line'img016.jpg A Hughes 'Crab' at speed with a northbound freight heading towards Loughborough.
That's it, folks - but I do have a few monochromes of the DB in 1983-ish if anyone is interested...........?

Roger

PS apologies for the late edit on the last picture of the Crab - a senior moment (again!!) I'm afraid. :eek:!

Last edited:

cbrailways

Western Thunderer
Roger. I think that all of us of a certain age that tried to capture the railways on film, struggled the same way as you. I have several photos taken in the late 1960s/early 1970s that are of what we would now consider, very poor quality. But, the important thing is we captured things that historians find very valuable now and therefore we shouldn't apologise to anybody. My main focus (pun intended) was on fast disappearing infrastructure, and I'm sure I recorded for posterity things that otherwise would never have been recorded.