Mudhen's Workbench

Tim Humphreys ex Mudhen

Western Thunderer
There was some recent discussion on the Guild forum about the Walsworth Models coaler. This is based on the one that was at Hitchin although there were quite a few scattered around the railway system although no drawings and very few photos seem to exist of any of them. They were also subject to considerable variation in design. Anyway I remembered I had one of the kits and after finishing the Standard Tank and building the Grain wagons and Palbrick decided I should do something different.
This turned out to be a happy coincidence as I received a message that the Love Lane coaling stage crew were complaining about pay and conditions. We were told by them that they could do better working for Ford at Dagenham building the new 100E and that unless something was done they were off. In order to try and placate them we thought that if we could get a semi-mechanical coaler it might put them in a better mood. We were going to remind them of the recent speech made by Harold MacMillan saying that most of our people have never had it so good but decided that perhaps this wouldn't win them over.
Anyway here are my efforts at building the coaler, almost complete, and ready for a decent clean up and primer. Details of the equipment on the top platform are almost non-existent so I've made an educated guess but not fixed anything down in case I get some better info, that's why it might look a bit skew-whiff. The control boxes on the base are also loose.

Three views, front, back and with coal bucket raised.

all the best
Tim

Coaler 1.JPG

Coaler 2.JPG

Coaler view3.JPG

Last edited:

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Impressive little model, I like the cables and clips, nice detail :thumbs:

Does it come with any tubs as well?

Tim Humphreys ex Mudhen

Western Thunderer
Mick,

Just the one which is hooked onto the lift. It still need wheels under it. There were usually half a dozen or so filled sitting on narrow gauge track waiting to be used, unfortunately Walsworth didn't have any spare tubs.
Tim

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Mick,

Just the one which is hooked onto the lift. It still need wheels under it. There were usually half a dozen or so filled sitting on narrow gauge track waiting to be used, unfortunately Walsworth didn't have any spare tubs.
Tim
Ah, yes, I see it now, wasn't the form I was expecting....aka....no wheels :))

John K

Western Thunderer
There was some recent discussion on the Guild forum about the Walsworth Models coaler. This is based on the one that was at Hitchin although there were quite a few scattered around the railway system although no drawings and very few photos seem to exist of any of them. They were also subject to considerable variation in design. Anyway I remembered I had one of the kits and after finishing the Standard Tank and building the Grain wagons and Palbrick decided I should do something different.
This turned out to be a happy coincidence as I received a message that the Love Lane coaling stage crew were complaining about pay and conditions. We were told by them that they could do better working for Ford at Dagenham building the new 100E and that unless something was done they were off. In order to try and placate them we thought that if we could get a semi-mechanical coaler it might put them in a better mood. We were going to remind them of the recent speech made by Harold MacMillan saying that most of our people have never had it so good but decided that perhaps this wouldn't win them over.
Anyway here are my efforts at building the coaler, almost complete, and ready for a decent clean up and primer. Details of the equipment on the top platform are almost non-existent so I've made an educated guess but not fixed anything down in case I get some better info, that's why it might look a bit skew-whiff. The control boxes on the base are also loose.

Three views, front, back and with coal bucket raised.

all the best
Tim

No thanks. Fomoco at Dagenham has a subsidised canteen. You'll need to make a better offer than that.
John k

Tim Humphreys ex Mudhen

Western Thunderer
And a lot of attractive female employees they tell me. Not to worry LT are serious about extending the Central Line through Love Lane within a couple of years;)

Tim