My 7mm dabblings

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Just whizzed up a very basic display stand and was thinking of some simple fundamental scenic work, the idea being to perhaps be able to do profile photo shoots now and again.

I'm basically after some line side clutter, ground signal, relay cabinets, walling and for one of the tracks 3rd rail insulator pots and have absolutely no idea where to start!

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

MD

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I'd be tempted to do a brick wall on the up stands behind each shelf I think..?

JB.
Absolutely and I though I'd written that above already :headbang:

So yes, ballast the track and add retaining walls behind but ones that go above the track level above so as to form a small wall, not enough to hid the wheels but enough to hold the ballast back and then a railing fence along the top. Sort of Belle Isle, Holloway type sort of thing.

MD

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I'd be inclined to paint the display stand a matt light grey (CSX) which will provide a neutral background. The track beds appear too narrow for brick walls.

For a scenic board it would have to be a metre long, about 15 to 20 cm wide and the track on a slight embankment - no backscenes although a detachable one could be built.

This is what I built for my P48 test and photographic track to allow photography from all angles against a natural backdrop. This is 1200 x 200mm

DSC_0672.jpg

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Yes, that is one option for open vista photos but at the moment I'm just aiming for urban brick wall profile shots with maybe a slight head on angle and a little track clutter.

One like your's will be the next project with scratch built track etc, not Peco flexi track as at the moment.

This one is 900mm long and each track bed is 90mm wide, which is just about inside the minimum clearance specifications (red and white squares) of 50mm, I'm presuming that's the minimum clearance value anyway, always seemed closer to me.

Besides, rule #1 applies :thumbs:

MD

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Clearance issue solved, just model a different scale :thumbs:

IMG_0149.jpg

Mind the view does show that the middle shelf needs pulling forward to even the overhangs out, or new sides that are the right depth :eek:, guess which numptie forgot to compensate for the saw blade thickness :rolleyes: Still it's only all screwed together at the moment so easy enough to fabricate new ends in due course.

Richard Spoors

Western Thunderer
"The next stage was some light front end work, cast sand boxes went in fine and I've added the massive cylinder fixing flanges fore and aft of the outside cylinders, the kit has tiny hinges for inspection covers but these massive plate work fixings are missing?"

Hi Mickoo, I'm in the process of improving the chassis of a DA A3 that was professionally built for me some 12 years ago, but to a poor standard of workmanship. Therefore this thread is very helpful. My objective is to replace the Walsall wheels with Slaters, have pick-ups both sides, unsolder the cylinder frame and expansion link bracket so that it can be rebuilt as a stand alone unit and fit a full set of Ragstone removable brake gear. Finally fit a sound decoder for DCC operation.
My question concerns the cylinder fixing flanges. Where they the same (mirror image) fore and aft? This is the drawing I have from Flying Scotsman in 1924.Cylinder Fixing .jpg

Richard

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Richard, let me get home and check on the frame GA for you. Off the top of my head I think it's the same but I will double check.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Richard, try this.

Image1.jpg

I've outlined the outside fixing plate and drill holes in red, hopefully you can see the measurements and get a reasonably accurate set up.

MD

Richard Spoors

Western Thunderer
Richard, try this.

View attachment 79796

I've outlined the outside fixing plate and drill holes in red, hopefully you can see the measurements and get a reasonably accurate set up.

MD
Excellent, thank you.
Adrian, I've had an eye on Mark Wood's castings for a while. I've a Peppercorn A2 on the shelf, so might be tempted if some new stock is cast. For my new Finney V2 I'm lucky to have an AGH set.
For the DA A3 I'll see if there's something worth posting in a new thread as rebuilding progresses.
Thanks again
Richard

adrian

Flying Squad
Adrian, I've had an eye on Mark Wood's castings for a while. I've a Peppercorn A2 on the shelf, so might be tempted if some new stock is cast. For my new Finney V2 I'm lucky to have an AGH set.
Extremely lucky to have a AGH set for the V2 it should be good to see. :bowdown: It really is worth contacting Mark to express your interest and he may well alter his schedule. I contacted him earlier in the year about the V2 wheels, and whilst I have no idea if I had any influence but by strange co-incidence the V2 wheels are one of the first LNER sets available. I got my set from Mark last week - hence the determination to clear the Midland 3F from the erecting shop.:rolleyes: