My EM workbench, western region action once again. The Yeovil 14xx

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
I've made a start this afternoon painting the GSWR wagon. Having looked around on the Internet at other models the colour has been a bit of a issue. It says light to mid grey & so I went with a mid grey I found by vallejo.

20220731_143035.jpg

Not sure it's correct but from what I can find it's a bit of a mystery anyway. I think it's acceptable anyway & its starting to come together.

Si

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
Not sure it's correct but from what I can find it's a bit of a mystery anyway. I think it's acceptable anyway & its starting to come together.

I am sure your chosen shade will be "satisfactory" if not technically "correct". There are no colour photographs and any scraps of paint remaining today will have faded. No-one knows the exact shade and this makes pre-grouping modelling a lot easier than later periods. If you do a second similar wagon you might make the grey a bit paler or warmer or cooler to add a little variety. The wagon works of the time mixed up paint on the day using whatever was to hand.

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
Your right Richard,

I read that someone once visited Gorton works & as they walked the rows of freshly painted engines no 2 shades of green were the same. Wagons would have faded over time too.

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
It's been a while since I last posted an update on my workbench so here goes,

Firstly it's been a while as I've had a belting holiday in the dales with all this sun, apart from going to watch the occasional steam special at Settle I've not left the campsite. The one thing I've had on my mind all holiday is the lnwr coaches.

My target for delivery is a week today at em north. I decided that after we had unpacked yesterday I would have a clean up in the workshop so I could have a session today.
I got cracking early doors as my workshop is south facing & with this searing heat I needed to be in & out by lunch otherwise I would cook.

I've had a very productive morning getting both the other two underframes completed. I was lucky enough to get the 2nd third class coach body built up.

20220813_152221.jpg

I've another morning booked in the workshop tomorrow to get the third body built & start to finish up the final details on each coach. I would like to think by Monday evening all three will be finished & ready for delivery.

The postman also brought me a present today,
20220813_115108.jpg

These kits are simply the best on the market. Specifically designed for EM, full compensation & all the parts formed including the cab beading. Peter Stanger puts a real nice kit together.
20220813_115125.jpg

I'm looking forward to assembling this one, this is a project for myself. I've a small layout in the early stages that's going in my workshop which I think could end up north british.

That's all for now.

Si

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
I've finally finished the lnwr coaches, a fun project although tedious at times. They just need wrapping up ready for delivery at EM north on Saturday morning.

20220818_181325.jpg

This week has also seen me finish the blackwork & transfers on the G&SWR wagon. That's now completed & ready for a layout.

The next item I wanted to start was a D&S Models NBR 6 wheel fish van. This evening I cleaned up the sides/ends & did the various folds required to create the basic box. I've also started to solder the droplights into the doors although I still have one of the sides to. As my eyes are straining a little I decided to call it a day today.

20220818_194206.jpg

I really like D&S kits I've built plenty over the years & they always go together without any trouble. I felt like doing this one before I started another loco build. I am however itching to start the 52f models kit that's recently arrived, it's a very nice looking kit.

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
Yesterday I had a very enjoyable morning at EM north. I handed over the LNWR coaches to John Redrup & he handed me my next project, a brassmasters precursor which I'm actually looking forward to making as I've always wanted to make one myself.

I didn't do much in the way of photos as I was enjoying the show. 4 layouts really stood out for me, Bawdsey, Culm, Crioch & Llanstr.
Llanstr was the one I really wanted to see. When I picked up Iain rice's finescale in small spaces book the photos of Llanstr & rice's own version set me off on the finescale road. I actually built Rice's version as a settle carlisle branch in 00 using code 75 peco points & smp track. It wasn't great but enjoyable to build & it was really nice to see Llanstr in the flesh. The layout is 30 odd years old & still performs brilliantly & I had a very enjoyable 20 minutes seeing the train moments & learning more about the brecon & merthyr.

20220820_115540.jpg
20220820_115233.jpg20220820_115229.jpg20220820_115225.jpg

I had a shopping list of bits I needed to get on with a variety of projects over the winter so a big shop at Alan Gibson & high level sorted that out.

This morning I've had a hour in the workshop & got a fair amount done on the North British fish van. This will be for my forth coming layout of North Leith citadel in Edinburgh.

20220821_113337.jpg20220821_113344.jpg

I've soldered up the body sections creating the basic box, fitted a couple of the door handrails & got the sole bars & first set of wheels irons fitted. So far it's been one of those kits where everything just falls together. I'm going to cut a new roof from brass & use that because I don't like the plasticard roof it's over curved & will be a sod to fit properly. My aim is to complete this over the next few weeks because I really want to get on with the nbr 0-4-4 kit.

That's all for now,

Si

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
I have just spent an hour making up the floating axle & I've made a slight modification to the original design. It's designed to float with a wire running the length of the chassis but the hole had a bit of slop in it making the whole van slope downwards. I've made the rocking axle work on a thicker gauge wire & the floating centre axle on a single wire that's angled down slightly. It has worked well with 30 grams of weight in the body & clears pointwork.

20220822_192356.jpg

The paint arrived today so I am working to get this one finished so I can paint it & finish off. Its been a nice kit to build so far.

Si

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
Tonights escapes have involved some industrials!

I purchased years ago a kit for a austerity from Pirate models? I can't remember if that's correct or not, anyway it's taken me years to actually finish it off. Its sat on a rt models chassis with some romford wheels & a markits gearbox & small mashima motor. It's a decent running model. I would like to do another although with gibson wheels, rt models chassis & I've a rt models lambton cab somewhere to go with a dapol body.

This one in the meantime is ready for weathering, totally fictious using some railtec transfers I had in my collection.

20220828_181432.jpg

20220828_181509.jpg

It's nice to finally have her finished, I might finish a few other industrials I've got sat in various states laying around the workshop. I feel the need to clear up all the unfinished builds I've got going off before moving on to something new.

Si

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Si,

Just to add how much I have enjoyed reading your brief description of the Austerity, a very attractive model.

TIm

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
Well tonight I sat in my workshop & I really couldn't decide what to actually work on! I've that much stuff I need to move some bits out of the workshop to keep me focused.

I've a few projects laying around & they are annoying me as I'm not one usually to have projects hanging about. They are usually built one by one. After a lengthy time buggering about I finally got on with something. I put the final parts on the 14xx chassis I built a while back.

I've added the white metal sandbox castings I got from wizard models & drilled them & fitted some brass wire. I've left it straight & over length so once the wheels have been fitted using a gw models jig they can be bent to shape.

The chassis was originally purchased with p4 wheels which I used too make sure the chassis worked correctly. A separate set of em wheels were purchased & are ready too be fitted.

I've split the chassis this evening & given the whole thing a good scrub in the time honored fashion of hot water, washing up liquid & a toothbrush. It's now sat in the water storage cupboard as it's always warm so it can dry off properly for 24 hours. I'm going to prime it tomorrow evening & then fit the body with a load of lead to give it some weight. I'm also going to add all the final details to the body & paint those too.

One thing I cannot fit into the body is the backhead! I cannot find a suitable gearbox & motor combo that's hidden in the boiler so I've added a nice flywheel to the motor unit which will sit in the cab. I'm going to paint that black & hide it with a crew member either side. Once this is all completed & I know the loco is running it'll be a final finish off with some light weathering. I'll post some photos of my progress tomorrow.

Si

MarkR

Western Thunderer
Hi Si
For many years I have had a Airfix 14xx body plus Ultrascale P4 wheels and High Level chassis and motor/gearbox, together with the Iain Rice detailing set, I might even build it one day...........
Mark

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
Hi Si
For many years I have had a Airfix 14xx body plus Ultrascale P4 wheels and High Level chassis and motor/gearbox, together with the Iain Rice detailing set, I might even build it one day...........
Mark

Mark I bought mine as a job lot off ebay. Comet chassis, airfix body & gibson wheels. The wheels were no good as they are p4 but they were great as a sacrificial set to test the chassis before putting the EM sets on. It was nice I managed to make a twin beam compensation unit too from the etch. The high level is a far better set up than mine but I got the lot for 40 quid so I'm not grumbling at that. Those Iain Rice castings are really nice all in lost wax.
I am looking forward to making the high level 64xx chassis after I finish this one off.

Si

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
I've not got as much done this evening as I would have liked. The children have been troublesome so I've struggled to get into the workshop earlier. I'm also doing 60 miles in September for Cancer research so I'm out each evening power walking & jogging.

I've got the frames & compensation beams painted & the wheels blackened. The power unit I built a while ago & it's been on test this evening to check all is well. As the chassis is 4 wheel pick up I've added a flywheel to hopefully just help it a little.
20220901_201619.jpg
20220901_201627.jpg

I'm aiming to have it assembled & running over the weekend. I need to get some araldite so I can add some lead to the body to give it some weight. The body still needs some details fitting but my main aim is to get it running.

Si

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
It's been a while since I updated this thread.

I left it with the 14xx chassis ready to assemble. It didn't originally go to plan. For some reason I had p4 axles in the packet instead of em & as I just grabbed them & put the wheels on it didn't turn out well. The wheels were wonky, not to gauge & a mess. This pushed me over the edge so to speak & I gave up on gibson wheels.

I then jumped onto my industrials. I tend to do this when I get annoyed with another project. Anyway the 14xx has been languishing about in the workshop & something made me return to it. I found some em axles & tried to re fit the wheels to see if they would work. Funnily enough they went on the axle perfectly sqaure & sat nicely. This gave me hope. I added some pick ups & tested the whole unit before going any further.

With a few very minor tweaks it came to life, it was running, I then filled every open space in the body with lead, fit it back together & tested it again. She was running sweetly & slowly. I added the remaining brake gear & pull rods & took her to the club to run in.

It's now run for an hour in both directions bedding the worm & gear in. Usually as a rule I'm not a fan of worm & gear boxes, I prefer multi stages but this runs beautifully well.

I've new handrails to add & some more details before she's ready for a light weathering. I'm pleased with how this is turning out. My toe dipping in compensation is paying off & I am seriously considering trying p4 again. I've a pannier chassis from high level to do & if I am successful with all wheel compensation them I am going to have a bash at a small western region p4 layout using finney & high level kits for the loco roster.

Si

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
Work has taken most of my time recently & modelling has taken a back seat for a while. The other thing has been christmas looming into view. I don't like it, my best friend took his life at Christmas some years ago & I just don't like it anymore so that's been playing on my mind.

This year was alway a very sad one in that I lost another of my friends, Wendy.

Wendy came to me earlier this year to see if I could build a loco for her dad who was terminally ill. A few days after she had given me a couple of kits he passed away, I was told to build to continue the builds at my own pace. Not long after Wendy passed too & so the kits were on the shelf. I made a promise that I would see them to the end as a tribute to both Wendy & her dad.

I had previously taken a look at a metro tank & after taking another look the chassis needs a rebuild as its been made a mess of by whoever originally started it.

The other kit I was given was a 1076 class pannier with outside cranks which had been started but it also had a load of etched brass parts for a chassis & footplate / cabs. This kit is m&l premier which I believe Alan Gibson took over which might explain the etched parts.

I've been thinking about my friends as I do as Christmas approaches & it's time to put one of these locos together. The pannier tank has had some work done this evening.

I started out by making up 4 hornblocks ready to go into the chassis. I've also riveted all the frames & footplate so it is nicely etched rather than chunky white metal. I've also made up the pannier tank from the casting & added the cab rear spectical plate to the bunker. I'm going to mate the best of the white metal parts with the etched parts I have to create a finer model in em gauge. In the box was some old romfords & a set of gibson wheels with cranks which I intend to use for the finished model.

20221213_212321.jpg
20221213_212224.jpg

I am going to have to shorten the tank about 1.5mm so it actually fits & a few mods to the etched cab & white metal rear spectical plate so that the 2 mate together correctly. I think the approach I'm taking is a good mix of using the best parts in the box to create a really lovely model. It's a real labour of love this one & I'm taking my time with this to make sure it is right in every aspect.

Si

Music tonight comes courtesy of this fine band

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
Slow progress with the pannier this evening but each part of a build does take time & so I had just one goal this evening.
20221215_211134.jpg

Fit the splashers to the footplate.

Once I had fit the splasher I sat the pannier assembly on the footplate & found both the front splashers & the pannier assembly needed minor modifications to get it to sit on the footplate level. I've taken extra away from the cutouts on the front splasher & some around the firebox sides.

20221215_211630.jpg

The next part that'll need a bit of material taking away is the spectical plate. Where it meets the splasher it needs a bit taking away to sit level.

I'm going to see if I can get a cast brass chimney & I'm going to replace the safety valve too with a brass casting.

Whilst the model is still in pieces I'm going to work on each of the separate parts before fitting them to the footplate. Not my usual route but I think it will make working on them easier especially when I come to fit fire iron brackets & lamp irons to the bunker along with coal rails & handrails.

I like panniers but these outside swingers are a pretty beast. I do have a lovely rake of 4 maroon gwr 4 wheelers which I think will suit this loco well.

Si

No music this evening, it's been nice to have some peace after a crap day in a noisy wagon.

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
I have been working on the pannier this weekend however I've not taken any pictures.
The kids have all got this virus doing the rounds & I've got it from them too. I've spent time in the workshop to try take my mind off it but I've not taken pictures.

I have built up the basic chassis with beam compensation & all seems well. At first I was concerned because it would randomly flip on the fixed axle without rods on. It was sat on some crappy scalelink wheels which I think were oval. I've never bothered with that brand of wheel after a friend trialed them. These ones I have came with a second hand kit & were used to test the chassis. Now I know all is well I can continue the build further.

I've also made a start on a north british loco kit I have, one of my goals is to build a version of North Leith citadel in Edinburgh. Although I can see some p4 on the horizon if my trials with compensation keep going well.

I shall take some photos later tonight.

I shall leave you with one of my favourite songs by arguably one of the best singers to have come out the 21st century.

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
Well it's been a while since I posted anything on WT,

I've had to make a very tough decision to stop making kits, my short sight is becoming pretty bad & I cannot see parts which has given me some rather bad headaches as a result.

I've had a real clearout & sold everything off. I'm resorting to what I did many years ago & that's modelling Swiss ho & East German prototypes. I might actually get a layout up & running now.

I shall be starting soon so I shall give you all updates on proceedings.

Si