Mystery loco

warren haywood

Western Thunderer
I've just received this loco to paint by a friend who got it at an auction. I know it is GWR but what class. I thought it might be a 2251 but all the pictures I have found show a cab side window.
Is the model wrong? Is it another class? Were the windows added to 2251s at a later date.
I'm sure someone on here will have the answer :)
Thanks Warren

image.jpg

warren haywood

Western Thunderer
Just spoke to the owner and he wants it lined BR green, ah well an hours research gone to waste!!
Will do it as 2211 tho as photo, at least some of it is correct.
Just found out that the locos built during the Second World War had no cab windows for safety reasons. Wonder if that was the beginning of 'elf n safety' :)

adrian

Flying Squad
Just found out that the locos built during the Second World War had no cab windows for safety reasons. Wonder if that was the beginning of 'elf n safety' :)
If asked, I would have guessed it was to minimise light seepage for blackout reasons at night. So if you want to avoid getting targeted by enemy aircraft then I suppose it could be construed as safety reasons.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
If asked, I would have guessed it was to minimise light seepage for blackout reasons at night. So if you want to avoid getting targeted by enemy aircraft then I suppose it could be construed as safety reasons.

I think so, some of the B12's on the LNER had their forward cab side windows plated over and hung sheets up to cover the open section.

Col.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
I've no pictures - the period is a bit late for me - but it was common practice to black out/plate over the windows during the war and also to hang sheets over the space between loco and tender. The issue with this loco is, I suspect, that it was never in BR livery with the plated window although I've no evidence to support this. By 1948 I suspect the windows would have been opened out.

Brian

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
The issue with this loco is, I suspect, that it was never in BR livery with the plated window although I've no evidence to support this. By 1948 I suspect the windows would have been opened out.

The thing is, though, Brian, the customer is always right. ;)

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
Quite a lot of GW locos had the cab window plated over during the war and then had them removed so lined green is really a No No
But hey what the customer wants, should really be talked out of it!!

bogusman

Western Thunderer
Hi Warren I know one at least still had plated windows into the late fifties. I will try and find the article if this is any help.

Pete

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
The thing is, though, Brian, the customer is always right. ;)

Of course! Couldn't agree more. Just thought Warren might want to talk to his client about absolute fidelity.

However, from Pete's comments above it looks as though the answer may be forthcoming. It'll be interesting anyway. I have a huge quantity of photos, probably running in to the thousands by now, and none of them show plated over windows post 1948. I have pics of locos still in their pre Nationalisation lettering right up to withdrawal in the sixties but that's the best I can do. (And none of those are Collett 0-6-0s either, unfortunately).

Having said the above I am fully aware that locos with plated over windows may well just be a gap in the collection - these things happen.

Brian

daifly

Western Thunderer
Surely, this is not a plated-over window - this is 'as-built'. The whole cab side-sheet needs to be replaced, not just removing a temporary cover.

Dave

Bob

Western Thunderer
Hi Warren I know one at least still had plated windows into the late fifties. I will try and find the article if this is any help.

Pete

Yes, I've seen a photo of one in the late 50's too.

Daifly is correct. It wasn't a case of plating over, the modification required the cutting out of the window from the cab side sheet.

daifly

Western Thunderer
According to the RCTS 'Locomotives of the Great Western Railway - Part 4 - Six-wheeled Tender Engines', nos 2211-40 were built during the war years and came out with solid-sided cabs and although a start was made as soon as black-out restrictions were lifted, one at least (2239) was still unaltered in May 1955.
HTH
Dave

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
So still a good year before Swindon started on a lined green frenzy, youve got to imagine if it passed through works after that it would have had the window mod done before a repaint.