Nameplate advice

mopar

I have a JLTRT Western (as yet unstarted) and was wondering who supplies the most accurate nameplates?

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
Thanks fellas, if it's not too much trouble, any chance of a close up pic of a Severn Mill plate?

These are close up photos of the plates for "Anne" and these are very close up,
Copy of image.jpg

The plates on the front and back of the catalogue are all photos of the 7mill plates,
7 mill nameplates.jpg
7 mill nameplates 001.jpg

None of the above photo are of real plates as far as I know. Only photos of the model plates. So are these photos close enough.
One thing that Chris is well known for is the research that he puts in if a plate has a bit missing out of a letter to miss a bolt it will be in the plate. He will also do plates that have been changed so you could have a pre 1945 plate or a post 1946 for the same loco (say).

IIRC in the old days he was known as C.G.W. nameplates in 4mm.

Is this any help?

OzzyO.

alcazar

As above for research: I've just got some plates for 60014 Silver Link. She was one of only two A4's** that had rounded corners to the nameplates. They are there on the model ones. The worksplates are TOTALLY legible, with the correct works numbers and the tender plates likewise. The writing on the worksplates is less than 1mm high.

**The other was 60015 Quicksilver.

mopar

They (Shawplan & S. Mill) seem evenly matched price wise as you get the worksplates included with S. Mill.
Now just going by the pics in this thread, I have to say the S. Mill plates look 'crisper' but that could just be down to focus :)

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
They (Shawplan & S. Mill) seem evenly matched price wise as you get the worksplates included with S. Mill.
Now just going by the pics in this thread, I have to say the S. Mill plates look 'crisper' but that could just be down to focus :)

Don't forget you have to paint, rub back/buff the SM ones too. There's a good choice - could you buy a set by both companies and do a side by side pic for us with a macro lens :thumbs:

Cheers

Tom