NanoCAD 5, a question

Tony Overton

Western Thunderer
Evening all
Has any one any experience of working with the CAD programme NanoCAD 5 and raster images, in my case a C & W drawing, to create scale drawings for etching? I keep losing the raster image part way through tracing over it and can’t work out why.
As I'm truly thick when it comes to CAD any replies will need to be in the most simple of terms for me to understand them...... :)

bambuko

Western Thunderer
Are you keeping the image on separate layer?
You have not moved files? image has to be in the same folder ...
I have used it in the past with no problem at all.

Tony Overton

Western Thunderer
To your second point. If I understand you correctly. The image (a .jpg file) is take from a separate folder to what the .dwg file is saved in.

Tony Overton

Western Thunderer
What I find is happening is that I have done some 'tracing' over what is a complex drawing, left it over night, but saving it before closing the programme, only to find next morning that when I open up again the tracing is still there but where the image was I'm left looking at a frame with a file name across the centre.

bambuko

Western Thunderer
last message points to the problem
keep your image on a separate layer
keep the file where image is in the same location
image is not inserted but linked
two files (your nano file and image file) have to be in the same folder ... forever, or else nano doesn't know whst the path to the image is ....

Tony Overton

Western Thunderer
Ah, I see. Okay, I'll have a play and see what happens. Thanks for your help and patience. I’m more at home with a pen and a sheet of paper.

bambuko

Western Thunderer
To your second point. If I understand you correctly. The image (a .jpg file) is take from a separate folder to what the .dwg file is saved in.
It can be anywhere, but it cannot change or else nano gets confused.
keep both files (nano file and "inserted" image file) in the same folder (or directory in Windows lingo) - it's easier this way

bambuko

Western Thunderer
Yeah, it's messy
Same as Autocad
Never liked this business of linking instead of properly inserting
Qcad is similar but more tidy.