Video Nbl Class 22s And Hymeks On Demolition Workings On The S And D

westernfan

Western Thunderer
looking to compare my sound decoder with footage with sound of the nbl d63/class 22 on the net i came across this link with some members of the class also a few hymeks as well. If you have a copy of Jeffery Grayers Sabotaged and Defeated then this link is a must . the recover of the runaway wagons from Chilcompton with the help of a rope and a hymek is of intrest the footage is in three parts all worth a look for the other two parts look at the menu on the right

not much luck with the sound though as the naration is overdubbed as a 22 trundles past

there is also a sound clip of Bristol tm in the 60s with a pair of 22s ticking over waiting to couple up to a southbound train

Neil

Western Thunderer
What a marvellous find. I've become tuned in to the possibilities of modelling a line undergoing the process of dismantling since I was lent a DVD showing the Morfa Mawddach - Ruabon line track recovery train. If we're looking for our models to bring forth an emotional response (I think we should, it's what all art aims to do) then this phase of a line's existance gives a mighty head start.

28ten

Guv'nor
What a marvellous find. I've become tuned in to the possibilities of modelling a line undergoing the process of dismantling since I was lent a DVD showing the Morfa Mawddach - Ruabon line track recovery train. If we're looking for our models to bring forth an emotional response (I think we should, it's what all art aims to do) then this phase of a line's existance gives a mighty head start.
There is a certain poignancy to the derelict look and it is something I want to explore in 1/32. I couldnt care less about operating, so the moribund line is an ideal subject.

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
With you there:) , I've always found run down or dissused line much more visually interesting :cool::cool::cool:.........I always liked the 4mm model 'Sheepwash' from the Hull MRC (I think), which modeled the Withered Arm in North Devon in the 70/80's complete with disused station........very nice IMO & seldom done ;)

westernfan

Western Thunderer
I forgot to mention to have a box of Kleenex to hand. I was subliminally affected by the demise of most of our branch line railways at a school boy age catching the train from Oakhampton to Exeter circa 69-71 seeing the overgrown sidings rusting signals faded paintwork no one alighting at the intermediate stops along the line the old rust spotted enamelled signs Car 1 Car 2 Car 3 etc watching it all fading away unaware of its demise till the notice of closure posters appeared adorning the notice boards at Oakhampton
My main thought on the matter then was oh no that means another hour in that smelly old petrol driven Bella Vega I was always a little travelsick from the fumes.

After school armed with an os map of the area I used to explore the nearest disused lines and stations namely Hole (for black Torrington) and Hatherleigh
Both structures were fairly intact apart from the tracks being lifted and although services had ended almost a decade before my visits I could somehow smell that railway scent. Tar, oil, etc. Quick pass the tissues its all coming back to me.

On a brighter note its good to see lines opening back up there’s been a few routes reopened to passenger services in the S Wales area over the last ten years or so admittedly the lines were still in place .Is this a trend in other areas

Re the demo workings I have a rake of macaws loaded with lots of peco code 100 and a few toad brake vans which need some airfix perm workers gazing out the back and some 5 plank or 13ton steel sided wagons filled with sleepers job done .

westernfan

Western Thunderer
With you there:) , I've always found run down or dissused line much more visually interesting :cool::cool::cool:.........I always liked the 4mm model 'Sheepwash' form the Hull MRC (I think), which modeled the Withered Arm in North Devon in the 70/80's complete with disused station........very nice IMO & seldom done ;)

Went to Sheepwash in my travels as a kid dont know if it was the time of year but it had the smell of a sheep wash the nearest stations iirc were Petersmarland and Petrockstow for the Steam/diesel traction a 2mt standard tank with a single coach and one or two clay wagons running to Halwill Junction followed on by a bubble car and a nbl 22 with a pickup freight train of milk tankers clay wagons and vent wagons . so much potential there is a plan of torrington on the net in a what if scenario circa 80s lots of blue yellow 31s and 25s as per prototype in the 70s after the demise of the 22s

28ten

Guv'nor
Jordan, I fully concur, it was depressing, dirty and rundown. Rose tinted spectacles of middle age and the present scene make it seem so much better, I would love to have been standing on that platform at Temple meads in 1962/3 though.

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
I've always thought that that Era (1960's), although fascinating to look back on, must've been - from a Railway point of view - quite awful to actually witness, as what had stood for often well over a century was swept away. :(
Even the BR Blue Era, whilst interesting to look back on, let's be brutally honest - didn't seem all that great at the time*, and I'm also convinced that the only people who model that Era are those who remember it.... which doesn't seem true of any other Era..?

* No doubt some here will wish me taken out and shot for such a controversial statement....:rolleyes:

Not shot Jordan, just tortured a little bit I personally like it as there was a lot of variety old and new types together very run down rubbing shoulders with pristine new stuff one of my own Personal recollections was 2 class 20's standing to BS one with a tops Number painted in green and a blue one with a 8000 number. I personally never liked Kettles but loved the sparks effect(as it was called) of the modern AC electrics, the transition period between diesel and electric on the WCML is of particular fascination especially the north of Crewe changes. So what if the era was a little bland where else can you see a 52 rubbing shoulders with an HST or a 44 standing next to a class 87, for me this was the railway and this is what I want to recreate.

PS I would love to recreate a renumbered 47 with the old D number painted out but still visible underneath with the new tops number just above it

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Totally agree with you, but that's the mystique a lot of odds and sods thrown together and made to work and then the worst weeded out hopefully to find the best to keep. The Deltics where a fantastic piece of kit but compared to the HST from an operational point of view totally sub standard but look at the following they gained, now it's the HST's turn they are also getting a big following.

There was a saying the British have never been fonder of anything than something they have given away

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
I don't know, there was plenty of interest to see in the 70's imo, if you knew where to look, for example the branch lines of Scotland still had loco haulage.....sometimes single coach or with freight added to the rear, the stations were beautifully maintained with flower beds & blue enamel signs.

img320.jpg

I'm not saying we didn't lose a hell of a lot thanks to Marples & Beeching, but we still had an integrated transport system that we could afford to use........although I agree things were worse than pre Beeching in the blue 70's, they have certainly deteriorated a lot further since IMO:(

I think modeling has always had a lot of people recreating their childhoods too, as a child there were a lot of big 4 layouts at exhibitions that I used to attend, then transition era seemed to take over & now BR Blue has gained in popularity ;)

Phill :)

28ten

Guv'nor
The surviving parts in the early to mid seventies were still really 'old railway' and if you put the 'bags' back in the water cranes then it could have been early sixties. I have fond memories of the North Scottish branches Phill mentions, the thought of modelling them has crossed my mind from time to time.

westernfan

Western Thunderer
those scenes of well kempt stations still exist on the cental wales line at some stops admitidly the structures on the platforms are now in private domestic occupation .

back in the 60s-early 70s it wasnt just the railways that were dirty most large towns had the pre north sea gas , town gas works along with the local coal fired power station and if one lived in the industrial areas steel works and mines to boot . another form of transport that bit the dust in the late 60s were the trolley buses i never understood why they were scrapped although the electricity was from coal fired power stations they were sort of a zero emission form of transport . perhaps it was to do with the fact that people kept getting knocked down by them as they were so quiet .

back to today the futures so bright we need sunglasses :))

westernfan

Western Thunderer
the Cardiff corperation trollies were crimson and cream they were introduced during the 2nd world war 1942 then painted battle ship grey guess there was lots of grey paint in those war torn times they superceded the trams which had gone by 1958. Cardiffs trolley bus service ended jan 1970 i was twelve i can rember them well especialy when their drivers forgot they were driving them and tried to overtake another trolley when the poles came off the overhead wires the sparks would fly .opps i forgot this is a model railway forum not a bus one .

Neil

Western Thunderer
I've always thought that that Era (1960's), although fascinating to look back on, must've been - from a Railway point of view - quite awful to actually witness, as what had stood for often well over a century was swept away. ....

I was born in 1960 and have reasonable memories of the end of the decade (I have a few hazy ones of steam) which at the time I found fascinating enough even without the added gloss of nostalgia. Top fave was being able to sit behind the driver in a dmu, watch him drive and look at the road ahead. Track rationalisation hadn't really got going so there were sidings aplenty even if they weren't much used. The most intriguing were those private sidings that sneaked off into factory yards, colliery sidings and the like. My parents not driving meant that rail travel was synonymous with holidays, and the implicit they brought. I'd trade the blacked buildings and uniform liveries of those days for today's scrubbed stations and rainbow trains in a heartbeat.

Pennine MC

Western Thunderer
.........I always liked the 4mm model 'Sheepwash' from the Hull MRC (I think),

Not a club layout Phill, but one of Ken (Gibbons)'s solo creations. Oddly enough I've been doing a Google for pics of it, which brought up this post:) - it was featured in BRM though, as long ago as June '99.