NEW BOOK.....Covering Blaenau Ffestiniog area...

LarryG

Western Thunderer
A new book came my way, courtesy Dave Southern, co-author of 'Railways, Slate Quarries and Tramways of Blaenau Ffestiniog (D. Southern & P. Lawton, Lightmoor Press), and so I have been fully absorbed in its pages for the past week. If you ever wondered what was going on up in the surrounding hillsides atop the slate waste, this album-book has the gen and is profusely illustrated with maps and pictures in colour and monochrome along with bags of text.

On a personal note, I thought I knew the railways of the area pretty well having walked them in search of photogenic locations for many years, including dangerous adventures up into the slate waste. But I knew nothing of the quarrying activities nor the existence of folk living in areas that, frankly, give me the shivers when I consider the sheer isolation.

The surprise to me was that, despite its presence being recognised as early as the 14th Century, slate did not take off as an industry during the classic period of the Industrial Revolution (1760-1800), largely because of the geographical barriers that stood in the way of exploitation. The main period of expansion came later when the raising of large sums in the money markets brought speedy development and of course the railways and tramways.

Thoroughly recommended.

LarryG

WEB Festiniog slate book 1.jpgWEB Festiniog slate book 2.jpg