Trade New From Slater's Plastikard - GWR Tender Wheels

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Seems that there is no S7 tag in this sub-forum... so I have gone with "Trade" because money might change hands.

Slater's Plastikard, in conjunction with the S7 Group, has released some new wheels - using the S7 tyre profile and supplied with an axle for 33mm track gauge.... changing the axle for a O-FS version might make the wheel attractive for those who want the finer appearance of the S7 wheel whilst working in one of the narrower "Gauge O" track gauges, eg. 31.5mm. . Amongst the recent releases, described on this S7 Group web page, are the following:-

* driving wheel for a GWR Castle Class, pin-in-line with web between spokes;
* driving wheel for a GWR Star Class, pin-between spokes, crank pin offset for 26" cylinders;
* driving wheel for a GWR Saint Class, pin-between spokes, crank pin offset for 30" cylinders;
* tender wheel for GWR tenders (spoked, 4'3" diameter).

As well as being for a GWR Saint Class, the appropriate driving wheel is probably suitable for the GWR County 4-4-0 and the GWR 4-4-2T classes.

What no GWR standard bogie wheel? Well, join the S7 Group and agitate!

Finally, I think that the Star and Saint wheels might have different boss diameters which is prototypical.... :thumbs: ....except that there are photos of some GWR Saints which show small bosses on the leading axle and large bosses on the driving and trailing axles :confused: . More agitation needed.

regards, Graham

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
A neat and tidy jiffy-bag came through the letter box this morning... with a sticky label announcing the sender as being from Darley Dale - Slater's Plastikard to you and me. The contents are a delight... GWR tender wheels with a S7 profile.

An assembled wheelset... 5/32" axles and miniature machined Allen screws to retain the wheels. I understand that production wheels shall be provided with journal extensions for those who wish to have bearings in the outside frames. This move means that one product can be used for either outside bearings or inside bearings to suit the intended model (kit / scratchbuilt).

gwr-tender-wheel-1.jpg

Now this photo illustrates something which would have pleased Cynric (my apologies for omitting "the late" for I feel that he is still with us) - Slater's have moulded the wheel with a full depth boss and hence the rear of the tyre is not touching the surface upon which the wheel is resting.

gwr-tender-wheel-2.jpg

And as if a full depth boss was not enough... spokes with oval section and a wheel rim which is inset from the tyre! No Gibson ring, sorry about that. Eagle-eyed WTers shall notice that the brass bush in inset from the boss, the back of the brass insert is level with the back of the tyre so that the B2B is 31.5mm.

gwr-tender-wheel-3.jpg

As far as I know there is not a surviving drawing of this wheel, Slaters have used dimensions and sections which were taken from a wheelset at Didcot.

Hopefully one of the S7 Group committee - of which almost 75% are WT members - can provide information on price and availability.

regards, Graham

[PS - Slaters has advised that there has been some concern over the finish of the "standard" Allan screw for 3/16" axles such that all future retaining screws are to be machined rather than forged. This change in manufacture addresses the occasional comment about wheel wobble... the forged screws could hold the wheel at a cant relative to the shoulder of the axle.]

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Thank you Dagenham... ah! info from Paul Stokes (rather than Ron Pitts(?)).... regards "Barking".

David Taylor

Western Thunderer
Pretty good. I've wondered about using the S7 profile for FS models... anyone doing that?

It's a nice idea to do the proper boss at the rear.

How do you forge screws? Is that making the thread with a die as opposed to turning the thread with a threading tool?

AndyB

Western Thunderer
How do you forge screws? Is that making the thread with a die as opposed to turning the thread with a threading tool?How do you forge screws? Is that making the thread with a die as opposed to turning the thread with a threading tool?
Not quite - for most standard screws the basic shape and head will be die-formed, then the threads are actually rolled - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threading_(manufacturing). All cold-formed, so subject to much bigger tolerances than a fully machined item.

Andy