New Hornby smoke units - uses water

Bonky

I wonder if the technology will trickle down to 7mm?
"
Commenting on the new unit, Simon Kohler, Product Development Manager said, “These new units fitted inside locomotives vapourise water, not oil, and a full ‘tank’ of water inside the device will last between 30 and 40 minutes depending on running speeds. The smoke ‘chuffs’ are aligned with the steam sound. The intensity and volume of steam omitted is adjustable by altering CV values.”

Ultrasonic transducers?

From: https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/news/smoke-effects-become-mainstream-with-new-hornby-models?utm_campaign=135539_WoR Hornby Announcement 10th Jan 22&utm_medium=email&utm_source=dotdigital&dm_i=73DL,2WKZ,ZUT70,B9FS,1

Richard

(Probably works better in a cold room?)

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The chuffs arent aligned with the driving wheels revolutions, and so it would be interesting to see how things go with 6 chuffs per revolution. I am left wondering if the smoke could be aligned with a YouChoos or Digitrains (for example) sound decoder.

Longbow

Western Thunderer
It's good to see these ultrasonic smoke units making their debut on a UK RTR offering. I think they are a great step forward, being not only low maintenance but also much more realistic than the old oil-fired units.

They have been around for some time, most notably from TRS Trains. They have numerous demo videos on YouTube such as this one here.

TRS only provide them as part of a custom-fitted service and whilst some of the DCC suppliers have taken an interest there is still no aftermarket unit available.

I can't speak for the Hornby units but as the video demonstrates both chuffs and sounds are synchronised to wheel rotation. Any current high-end sound decoder should support this.