Trade New Products

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
JLRT Class 08?

Ressaldar said:
Hi Richard,

I was only going by the 'Latest news' page on the JLTRT website, but further investigation into 'Products' under 'paint & tools' it states that 'all other power units' - ?65 - so come off of flea-bay - it will cost you more that the real thing.

regards

Mike

see you tomorrow
that sounds reasonable assuming it does include the motor :scratch: .................I might get a couple for the Western kit :thumbs:

28ten

Guv'nor
JLRT Class 08?

CME & Bottlewasher said:
[quote=""28ten"":eek:ca6x5m8]I saw it earlier, if it's about ?250 it will do well. Personally I think the MMP is a bargain at ?130

Hi guys :wave:

So I understand MMP 08 due to go up in price soon - I am still debating whether to take the plunge or not....

I wish that JLRT had the '22' kit up and running.

CME :wave:[/quote:eek:ca6x5m8]
I have built two 08s it's a cracking kit. The only part I don't like is the laminated cranks - but that is personal preference. If it's going up I will have to get another one !

S

Simon Dunkley

JLRT Class 08?

28ten said:
I have built two 08s it's a cracking kit. The only part I don't like is the laminated cranks - but that is personal preference. If it's going up I will have to get another one !
John Taylor, professional Yorkshireman and profile miller, could probably produce you a set in steel.

If you don't know him, then you almost certainly know someone who does. (Well, me for a start!)
(I think he advertises in the G0G Gazette, but not being a member, I may be wrong.)

djparkins

Western Thunderer
JLRT Class 08?

Hi guys :wave:

So I understand MMP 08 due to go up in price soon - I am still debating whether to take the plunge or not....

I wish that JLRT had the '22' kit up and running.

CME :wave:[/quote]

There will be a price rise soon - not a huge one, maybe ?8-10 - but also its the VAT rise on 4th January which will further add to end-user prices. That will be the same for all VAT registered suppliers of course!

David Parkins
Modern Morive Power

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
JLRT Class 08?

28ten said:
I saw it earlier, if it's about ?250 it will do well. Personally I think the MMP is a bargain at ?130
I saw it today at Telford... ?375 I'm afraid. :shock: :rolleyes: :headbang:
I didn't ask if that was "all in" but I bet it isn't, judging from the rest of the JLTRT range.... :twisted:

28ten

Guv'nor
JLRT Class 08?

Jordan said:
[quote=""28ten"":131njm6z]I saw it earlier, if it's about ?250 it will do well. Personally I think the MMP is a bargain at ?130
I saw it today at Telford... ?375 I'm afraid. :shock: :rolleyes: :headbang:
I didn't ask if that was "all in" but I bet it isn't, judging from the rest of the JLTRT range.... :twisted:[/quote:131njm6z]
:shock: :laugh: :laugh: thats just plain silly :?

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
JLRT Class 08?

Hi Jordan,

great to meet you and all of the others today - despite being interupted by the evacuation false alarm.

You are right, it is plus wheels and motor - no contest with the MMP version, can't wait to get started on mine.

regards

Mike

S

Simon Dunkley

JLRT Class 08?

Simon Dunkley said:
[quote=""28ten"":2vxyp33u]
John Taylor, professional Yorkshireman and profile miller, could probably produce you a set in steel.

If you don't know him, then you almost certainly know someone who does. (Well, me for a start!)
(I think he advertises in the G0G Gazette, but not being a member, I may be wrong.)[/quote:2vxyp33u]
He can do them, but in nickel silver, not steel.

Temeraire

Western Thunderer
JLRT Class 08?

I think the point with the JLTRT 08 kit is that not everyone has the skill to build something like the MMP version. I know I
certainly don't. Don't get me wrong I'd love a MMP 08 (or two at the price) but it's simply too complex for me to build, my soldering
skills aren't up to the job.

As expensive as it is I'm reasonably sure I could finish a JLTRT kit. Thats the difference! Sorry David!

28ten

Guv'nor
JLRT Class 08?

Temeraire said:
I think the point with the JLTRT 08 kit is that not everyone has the skill to build something like the MMP version. I know I
certainly don't. Don't get me wrong I'd love a MMP 08 (or two at the price) but it's simply too complex for me to build, my soldering
skills aren't up to the job.

As expensive as it is I'm reasonably sure I could finish a JLTRT kit. Thats the difference! Sorry David!
Yes, that really is the reasoning behind JLTRT, and there is nothing wrong with that, but personally I think they are asking too much for it. MMP kits are a bit daunting, but the parts all fit and you will get an accurate replica. Whatever you build the hardest part is painting the wasp stripes!!!

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
JLRT Class 08?

Fox do a sheet of black overlays plus patches for around the radiator and MMP have etched guide lines to work to. I painted a Bachmann 03 last year and used masking tape, a long process but worthwhile. I'll let you know how I fare with the MMP solution in due course.

On another tack, did anybody look at the new Slaters in-line motor gearbox combination that JLTRT are 'promoting'? It looks quite good and the Slaters price is over ?5 cheaper than JLTRT :eek:

regards

Mike

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
JLRT Class 08?

Ressaldar said:
On another tack, did anybody look at the new Slaters in-line motor gearbox combination that JLTRT are 'promoting'? It looks quite good and the Slaters price is over ?5 cheaper than JLTRT :eek:

Mike

Hi Mike :wave:

I did a lot of deliberating at Telford for the power units for my Western at Telford, The power unit direct from slaters is just for the motor & gear box, but is complete with the delrin chain & sprockets from JLTRT, but JLTRT were advertising this kit for ?65 but charging ?89 at Telford :? ..........I sought the advice of Brian Daniels who recommended Roxey gears & gear boxes , which is what I decided to use :thumbs:

Cheers Phill

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
JLRT Class 08?

Hi Phill,

I've used the Roxey gearbox/ gears in steam outline locos and have been very please with the results. I was thinking about the Slater's unit in my MMP 08, just need to check a few dimensions though.

regards

Mike

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
JLRT Class 08?

Hi Mike

IIRC the MMP 08 is designed round an RG7. Why not use an ABC motor/gearbox? They do one that is a direct replacement, sizewise, for an RG7. You do need to specify when ordering whether you want the normal configuration or an in-line motor.

Cheers

Richard

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
JLRT Class 08?

Hi Richard,

yes, the ABC Mini 7E (motor end-on?) is the correct one to use (as in the MOK Q1), unfortunately, the one I have is a Mini 7S (motor side-on) so I'll get the E version and look out for something to put the S in - a Judith Edge Barclay perhaps?

regards

Mike

djparkins

Western Thunderer
JLRT Class 08?

I think that if JLRT were a bit better on price then others may be tempted into 7mm, younger converts too, yet JLRT are in it to win it so...[/quote]

Yes - I can see that.

But there is another group of modellers from whom we need to try and win some converts over to 7mm and those are from the EM & Scalefour fraternity.

To these guys an MMP or a Martin Finney kit would hold no fears and modellers like these would also make a major contribution to pushing up standards, as are many of the current members of forums like this.

To people who say our kits are beyond their capability, I say that until you try, you will never know. Try a wagon kit first so you don't waste a lot of money - not particularly one of ours but maybe a Connoisseur kit [look at 28Ten's build of their BR Brake Van]. Once you can build an etched kit sccessfully then whole new areas of the hobby open up to - not just locos and stock.

As I said on another forum - I get just plain fed up with all this 'MMP kits are difficult and time consuming' stuff. These guys should go to the IPMS Aircraft show at Telford in November and take a look at the competition models there. Outright winner one year was a 1/72nd Scale RAF F.4 Phantom. The guy had won a gold medal - he had fitted over 150 scratch built parts into the cockpit area [maybe 30-35mm in length] and it took him over 300 hours. All that and the model that did not move or do anything.

To give another example - If you use all of detail sets we produce in our Great Little Ships range for the 1/72nd Revell Flower Class Corvette boat kit it costs you ?300+ and the parts total is 6,000 and counting. We have sold well into four figures of these and not one person has said there is too much detail or that it takes too long to build. That is because for a military modeller the build is an end in itself and if he is going to spend over ?300 on something, he wants to know that its going to give him many many months of building enjoyment.

I'm going to run for cover after saying - surely we are in an adult hobby and all of those that I can think of have one thing in common - they test their participants and offer them progressive challenges to beat.

Regards,

David Parkins,
MMP

S

Simon Dunkley

JLRT Class 08?

djparkins said:
To people who say our kits are beyond their capability, I say that until you try, you will never know. Try a wagon kit first so you don't waste a lot of money - not particularly one of ours but maybe a Connoisseur kit [look at 28Ten's build of their BR Brake Van]. Once you can build an etched kit sccessfully then whole new areas of the hobby open up to - not just locos and stock.
This is sound advice. Yes, there is a lot of detail in an MMP kit, and therefore it will take time to put it all together, but it does go together, and go together well. The point is, the kits are designed to take time so that you get maximum sense of enjoyment and achievement from them.

Once you have learned to draw file edges when cleaning up, and that when soldering you need cleanliness and sufficient power, then soldering them together involves more a degree of dedication and confidence than anything else: the skill required comes from using the right equipment, the right technique and lots of deliberate practice (see Lance Mindheim's blog) which is the only way anybody gets good, apart possibly from the Mozarts of this world. (Even Beethoven studied composition, for example). Starting with a PMK brake van is a really good way to start this process.

There is a great deal of fun to be had from owning and operating a decent model, but also a massive amount of longer-term satisfaction by looking at it and saying, "I made that, and I learned so much in doing it." (See Lance again on fun versus long-term satisfaction: they are not always mutual bed-fellows!)

Edit: PS. Although I do use 145 solder (overlays, etc, as it has less surface tension and also less mechanical strength), I have generally found that standard 60/40 tin/lead solder is ideal for railway modelling, combined with 70 degree low-melt for whitemetal. I use a single flux, 9% phosporic acid, and a single 50W iron, an Antex 660TC, generally set roughly at about 300 deg C. I have used this in assembling G1 loco chassis, and to add whitemetal details to an S scale wagon. The one really important thing I find is to scrub things clean with a bit of Scotch-brite before tinning or soldering, and to make regular use of those little tip-cleaner tubs one can get from Eileen's Emporium. Yes, you can use lots of different temperature solders if you like, but you don't need to: far better to spend your money on a really good soldering iron. I don't even change the bit for whitemetal - the standard solder serves as a good tinning for the 70 deg lowmelt, and I simply wipe it clean afterwards with a damp sponge, which came with the iron, when I turn the wick back up. Buying this iron improved my modelling more than anything else I have done, I would say. (Usual disclaimer - just a very happy customer.)

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
JLRT Class 08?

I followed Simon's route to the Antex soldering station - but the Digital version and find that 350 deg for 145 solder and 225 deg for whitemetal as ideal. I also use a London Roads Resistance Soldering Unit as and when I need to get detail in - quickly.

regards

Mike

Temeraire

Western Thunderer
JLRT Class 08?

I've built a few Connoisseur wagon kits which have gone together ok and currently have one of Jim's G5 kits on the go too for a different project. The G5 I am struggling with some aspects of and this is a simple kit. Of course I know it's me and my technique that is at fault. I'm just not sure I want to spend money on a MMP 08 and find myself stuck with no way of finishing it. Given the choice I'd have an MMP 08 over a JLTRT 08 anytime. Please don't misunderstand me I think the MMP kits offer excellent value for money for the level of detail, but if I can't build it......

This is my point, for some of us less skilled modellers out there, the JLTRT option while expensive is a way of getting a good looking, reasonably acurate model. I don't think that has any reflection on MMP kits, far from it. JLTRT kits are just a different approach that will suit different modellers. Yes, they could be cheaper, but they're not!

That said I'm very tempted to try an MMP Dog/Catfish kit.

28ten

Guv'nor
JLRT Class 08?

Temeraire said:
I've built a few Connoisseur wagon kits which have gone together ok and currently have one of Jim's G5 kits on the go too for a different project. The G5 I am struggling with some aspects of and this is a simple kit. Of course I know it's me and my technique that is at fault. I'm just not sure I want to spend money of a MMP 08 and find myself stuck with no way of finishing it. Given the choice I'd have an MMP 08 over a JLTRT 08 anytime. Please don't misunderstand me I think the MMP kits offer excellent value for money for the level of detail, but if I can't build it......

This is my point, for some of us less skilled modellers out there, the JLTRT option while expensive is a way of getting a good looking, reasonably acurate model. I don't think that has any reflection on MMP kits, far from it. JLTRT kits are just a different approach that will suit different modellers. Yes, they could be cheaper, but they're not!

That said I'm very tempted to try an MMP Dog/Catfish kit.
What are you struggling with on the G5? I know nothing about LNER locos but I have built a lot of steam locos so you if you post a few pics we could probably help :D Simon has built a Catfish and I have a couple to do, so maybe if you got one we could help as you go along?

As far a kits go, i am a fickle customer, I love MMP detail but I dont always want to spend so long on a build! but then I build a JLTRT and I feel unsatisfied, so I am just plain difficult :laugh: :laugh: