New to the Neighbourhood

Hello all.

My name is Ian Smeeton, a returnee to the hobby a few years ago. I have been a very occasional lurker on here, but the RMWeb reboot has prompted me to find a new home.

I had always been fascinated by the appearance of 2mm Finescale, and after negotiating the takeover of the garage, started work on my layout.

Paisley St James has been built twice, the first iteration being abandoned due to my cack handed track laying.

The second version is coming along quite nicely. The scenic area is 12' x 3', with a 12' x 2' fiddle yard. All of these boards have been constructed using 6mm birch ply and softwood sandwich sides, and 18mm ply ends. 6mm birch ply tops and diagonal bracing. I have still to build the curved end boards. Maybe this year!

The period modelled is 1948 - 1965, pre electrification of the Inverclyde lines to Gourock and Wemyss Bay.

2017_0809Workshop0012.JPG

Fiddle Yard

2018_1225GranthamSteamFair2010003.JPG

The Scenic side. looking from the South Eastern end towards the NW, Underwood Yard in the foreground, with PSJ proper towards the rear. Sorry about the very poor photography.

Original inspiration

Britain From Above

1:1250 map of the area.

I will start a layout topic in due course to document further progress, but in the mean time, if anyone has any useful info, I would be very grateful.

I am particularly looking for photos or drawings of the station pre electrification, the Goods Shed and the Signal box.

Regards

Ian Smeeton

JimG

Western Thunderer

Ian,

Welcome aboard - another Caledonian supporter albeit a good few years removed. :)

I will start a layout topic in due course to document further progress, but in the mean time, if anyone has any useful info, I would be very grateful.

I am particularly looking for photos or drawings of the station pre electrification, the Goods Shed and the Signal box.

I would suggest joining the Caledonian Railway Society to dig out that information. There are a lot of people in the Association with that kind of information. I'll have a look through the archive material to see if there is anything applying specifically to St. James.

Jim.

JimG

Western Thunderer
Ian,

I've just been doing a bit of checking around on the Caledonian Association site and found your thread on Paisley St.James in the forum. :) I'm one of the many Jims on the forum. :)

Jim.

Hi guys, thanks for the welcome.

I had previously posted on RMWeb, and to a lesser extent, on the CRA Forum

I am already a member of the CRA, and have mined them for photos already. I will start a new layout topic in the next day or two, with links or photos to most of the info that I have.

In the mean time, I have just had a very enjoyable afternoon at the North Mercia 2mm Area Group listening to Tim Watson and admiring his models, and the (very)small part of Copenhagen Fields which was on display. Mons Meg is 'something else'.

Regards

Ian