HO New York Central System Autumn 1957

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
As some of you fellow members may recall I have a small collection of NYC RR HO diesel locos and a few stock cars/hoppers, which have been in a large box for far too long. It was even proposed that I should sell the collection but having had very little interest and a dealer offering a very low price I have decided to “get” the models out into the open at least.
This has also been spurred on by the likes of Not Jack B (AKA Tim) who has a clear message in his salutation, which I totally agree with.
Nothing has been bought recently for the start to be made, it was just some prompts that I needed. Thank you guys.
The board is 1300 mm long by 30 mm wide and is made of 9 mm mdf. The reason why it has so many holes etc. on it is because it was made way back in 1998 for a 3 mm scale version of “Llanastr”, then it has been used for various non starter inglenooks and just sitting in the attic. It is well treated with matt varnish by the way.
Track is Peco code 75 with the points bought from fellow WTs a couple of years back. The flexi track has an even older ancestry but still very useable.
After much doodling, how much can one really do with the above, I decided to use a simple track off a loop. I have seen so many small shelf layout schemes and one board dioramas that I thought to get started I should just go for it on this one board.
The idea is that the line represents an NYC branch in September 1957. I have a couple of scenarios that seem plausible, somewhere along the Peoria and Eastern close to the Illinois Terminal or that the New York, Ontario and Western was taken over (partly) by the NYC earlier that year when it closed.
This would mean either a grain elevator or feed mill/ creamery behind the siding. In both cases the layout would be very simple which is something that is very obvious in the models on the various forums. This also means achievable in my mind.
Well just to show progress to date here are a few shots showing GP7 5765 with a 52’ gondola and SW8 9622 with an ITC flat car moving from front line to back testing the wiring.
I hope to add more thoughts (which I have many) and progress ( which will be slow) later.
Thanks for looking0C3F8642-98AB-476F-A206-1F9184CCEBFB.jpegECDE54FC-F7C4-4115-BB9E-8C031C595AC8.jpegD7F24EC9-F645-47F4-9C0E-046DD6BF79D5.jpegC4C53F6D-D503-4714-9670-80891FE91F44.jpeg

Last edited:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Yes, lots of thoughts and usual slow progress for me too as I unbox my Espee HO. I hope your locos are all capable of moving after doing nothing in boxes. But one spark of good fortune for me. My GS-4 Daylight bought in 2011 appears to have got a screw loose in the drive train and try as I could I was not able to separate body from chassis. So on Sunday I sent off an email to Broadway Limited Imports and received advice yesterday, less than 24 hours later. Hopefully I can now proceed with the repair. Good customer service is certainly one good reason for dusting off the old trains!

Good luck with the shunting plank! Paul

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Thank you all for the moral support and yes Adam that is the point I bought off you a while back!
The one thing about the locos I bought more than 15 years ago is that the two tried so far run beautifully, the Sw8 and GP7 are both Proto 2000, as are the flat and gondola. Very slow running and near prototype couplings....one of the things that attracted me to US modelling.
More later....
Cheers
Julian

Brian T

Western Thunderer
Good to see you making a start Julian.

Even with the shelf's limited capibilities it should at least provide you with some escapism and modeling to keep the interest alive.... :thumbs:

Cheers,
Brian.

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
The more I contemplate this scenario I am more attracted to something on the lines of the P & E / ITC as one of the influences in my thinking here is "Wiley City" by Andy Gautrey over on the other channel. This is a very simple layout using traction but it does give a very achievable model to run my locos.
I know the NYC and ITC had separate lines in Illinois but "what if?" It does also enable a small grain elevator to be located at one end, not over powering with a road and perhaps a small garage and food place. Less is more and not overwhelming.
A lot of photos that depict the Central in this area in the later fifties do show a very open scene, with very short trains being pulled by a GP7.
Those who are interested should seek Dr Louis Marre or Richard Leonard's photos on the various websites. But one of my initial finds was the "rr-fallenflags" website. I am so impressed how many quality images are available in the late fifties on the Internet and many are colour!

Last edited:

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Very sorry Brian and Richard for the late reply on my behalf, but thank you for the recommendation, will try this out. Guess plastic is difficult to straighten in this case.
Thank you
Julian

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
I have managed to set the shunting plank up again and have tried out some of the other locos I have in boxes. I will let the pictures tell the story but as you can see not much scenery or other progress, just "playing trains"!

IMG_20230210_200331.jpgIMG_20230210_202158.jpgIMG_20230210_201040.jpg

We have moved on a few years and this Proto 1000 C Liner is in later Cigar Band style, post 60s. Not really in keeping with the era I want to depict but I picked two up for a bargain. No. 6604 moves a 40' car in green with a late livery bay window caboose. I still haven't fitted the bag of fittings and have only notice one of the reporting numbers is missing on front of cab unit!

They run beautifully and even at a slow speed the headlight shines. I find the FM diesels fascinating dues to the unique engine design.

More to come later.

Julian

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
6603 teams up with 6604 on a test run having both been refurbished in the new Cigar Band logo. Although the Proto 1000 range is less detailed than the Proto 2000 models they are still lovely models and they are very heavy so haulage should be fantastic. When running they do have a certain noise that sounds quite "diesel", no it isn't a dry gear noise, I was quite taken by it.

I have to say I do like the later NYC logo and may not backdate these two. Guess with such a simple layout I could operate over two eras?

IMG_20230210_201900~3.jpg

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Now a GP7 5629, an Atlas model has arrived with an EL Gondola, Proto 2000 model in later style. As per the CLiners, I still haven't put the fittings on the GP7. Again running is perfect with very slow running.

IMG_20230210_205448~3.jpgIMG_20230210_205505~3.jpg

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
As a small boy I had many Matchbox cars and now I only these two trucks. A Hendrickson tractor that according to the Internet is 1/100 scale. I have the linking truck to make it into the two trailer version, which my original was but somehow I have two cab units.

I have taken this photo see how it looks with a fork lift truck and an HO figure. I think they look okay, what do others think. The fork lift truck looks a bit too large but the figure is close. These trucks are not worth a lot in this "played with" condition so I may use them as road vehicles. Not sure of their date but they look very early 60s.

IMG_20230210_222537.jpgIMG_20230210_222348.jpg

I must apologise for the oversize flowers in the background but a back scene is a long way away!

Thank you for looking

Julian