Video North of Scotland Steam (mostly)

AJC

Western Thunderer
I've seen this posted in several places and it really is excellent, especially if you have a desire to model fish trains. Those featured in this film were surprisingly varied...

Adam

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
What a wonderful film, Richard. I thought I remembered train make ups in the transition years but I clearly don't! This is a really useful document for matching our stock to prototypical operation.

Brian

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Magnificent, more 26's and V2's than you can shake a stick at... Maybe I need to buy another green 26!

Reckon sales of the Heljan railcar might increase too!

JB.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Amazing to see the speed of an unfitted mineral train. I can only guess it was empties, but it was way faster than you think it ought to be.

TheSnapper

Western Thunderer
Heaven!

Can we rename Heyside to Speyside next year & run lots of lovely V2's, B1,s A3's A4's & Blue Spot Fish trains?

...(I'll get me anorak....)

Tim

Last edited:

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
I loved the fact that 1 minute 30 or so in there is a Midland 6 wheeled slatted Milk truck like the kit that Slaters do and I am sure that I read a post somewhere on RMweb had stated that they didn't reach BR days........:)

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
I loved the fact that 1 minute 30 or so in there is a Midland 6 wheeled slatted Milk truck like the kit that Slaters do and I am sure that I read a post somewhere on RMweb had stated that they didn't reach BR days........:)
It would be interesting to know exactly what that can was...

JB.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
I noticed at around 10 minutes when the A4's were on the turntable that 60031 was fitted with a buck-eye coupling and 60012 had a screw coupling - were many locos fitted with buck-eyes?

cheers

Mike

Bob Reid

Western Thunderer
Not "mostly" but all North (East) of Scotland - all of the film is shot from Stonehaven Northwards..... Although it's mostly circa 1962, there's a bit of jumping about Tardis style to the 1950's - and back to 1948 with 60502 in reasonably fresh LNER livery hauling "The Aberdonian" with an LNER twin set still in silver and blue ahead of a small pile of teak stock. The large station shots are all filmed around Aberdeen Joint station - there’s a lot filmed in the south of the city on the Caley main line and on the GNSR lines in the North East as far as Fraserburgh. The Queen is seen off to her Deeside pile I’d imagine on the Royal Train still in full LMS livery....

Speyside? That's for teuchters :)

AJC

Western Thunderer
That's saved me looking up what it was, thanks Rob. The vehicle in front of it, by the way, is a Great Western special cattle van or Beetle (dia. W7), Parkside do a nice kit, in 4mm. It's an attractive train all round that.

Adam

JimG

Western Thunderer
I noted pretty sharp signaller work just after 6.30 in - watch the points on the slip change just after the A4 has crossed it. He must have been hanging on the lever waiting to let it go back as the bogie wheels cleared the ends of the points. :)

I think I also recognise the St.Combs branch from just after 16 minutes in - a short light railway between Fraserburgh and St.Combs. The family want on holiday to St.Combs around 1950 and I remember going on the train to Fraserbugh for an outing. I think the loco might have been an the Ivatt 2-6-2 with a cow catcher which ran on the branch until diesel took over. I remember that I considered the coach to be very unlike the LMS and LNE suburban stock that I was used to on Clydeside.

Jim.

John Miller

Western Thunderer
Hi James - I don't know much about these things but, I think you need something called a 'proxy server' to get around that location problem.