Numberplates

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
This will have been asked before (too!:))), but what is the best way of painting numberplates with a black back ground and white lettering. I've painted the plates black and rubbed them down to give brass numerals but I'm now stuck about how to make the numbers white.

What's the consensus on the best route?

Brian

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Paint them gloss white first. Leave to dry
Then, paint black as carefully as you can; wipe the plate, face down, on grey card (e.g. inside surface of a cereal box) or some other slightly absorbent surface.

That's it - simples.

Steph

simond

Western Thunderer
Brian

Whilst Steph's proposal is going to work very well, it does require reverse gear from where you are.

I offer this as an alternative which might move you forwards: Stick your black-painted plates to something heavy & flat with some double-sided tape. Get a nice school pencil eraser, the whitish ones are ideal. Paint it white, with a thin even coat. Press firmly onto the plates, and lift off again without sliding sideways. You might want some card or something around the outside, to prevent your rubber going down at an angle. If you're lucky, it'll leave the white on the raised bits, with no runs onto the black.

If not, bung it in the Dettol and use Steph's method tomorrow evening.

Best
Simon

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Thanks chaps.

I'd thought that I'd maybe done this the wrong way round! However, before stripping them and starting again I'll try Simon's idea.

Fortunately the brass finish on the nameplates and accompanying smoke deflector plates can be retained.

Brian

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Brian,

as a last gasp alternative, you could try the new Railtec 3D printed smokebox door numbers (Shed code plates are also available) - they come ready finished and you apply them in the same manner as waterslide transfers and just coat them with Johnston's Klear when dry.

Just used one on a Jinty - brilliant.

regards

Mike

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the thought, Mike, but I prefer the 3D appearance of proper brass plates which I already have at considerable cost!

Brian