2mm Oh well

Locomodels

Western Thunderer
David,

Thank you, product duly ordered. Naturally I will be watching your posts with interest as I will now be experimenting soon myself.

john lewsey

Western Thunderer
Hi a bit more progress on the brake van .The layout really is going to be british rail 55 to 60 but I supose inevitably there will be some pre group :cool:
John

adrian

Flying Squad
Hi a bit more progress on the brake van .The layout really is going to be british rail 55 to 60 but I supose inevitably there will be some pre group :cool:
John
Nice to see some progress - it's a nice little kit. The one bit I struggled with was getting the footboards soldered on in a straightish/parallel fashion, otherwise it went together ok. At least you can legitimately include a few pre-grouping items. I've set my era as pre-grouping but every time I place an order from Shop 3 I keeping hovering over the BR Mk1 57' GUV kit! So far I have managed to resist but I dare say I'll succumb to it at some point!

I've generally used brass milled angle from Eileen's, filed down as appropriate, for footboards. It has more strength and is less likely to go wavy than the etched pieces supplied. The outer edge can be chamfered gently to disguise the overscale thickness.

adrian

Flying Squad
I was ok forming the footboards, I used a hold'n'fold press and a few strokes with rawhide mallet removes the waves and gets it nice and square. It was more the little brackets for holding them in place, stopping them from falling off when soldering to the chassis. What I should have done is taken a leaf out of Giles' book and silver soldered them in place. @john lewsey I have a full photo build from the one I have done if you have any queries, I just never got round to writing it up. Handrails and lamp irons were entertaining too!

adrian

Flying Squad
Well I have the motor and gears for the beames and it would be nice to see it move
That would be something to see. I've struggled to get to the modelling bench this last couple of months for various reasons but I managed to get over to the 2mmFS Pennine Area Group yesterday which has re-invigorated my modelling interest. It helped with having a test track so I managed to get my rail motor trundling around for a bit.

adrian

Flying Squad
Some Video would raise your cred to amazing heights :thumbs:
Ha! I'd reserve judgement until you've seen the video. It was a bit erratic at times which was probably 50/50 dirty track and poor pickups - so following on from Jerry's suggestion I'll probably try to fit some pickups on the bogie as well.

David Varley

Western Thunderer
That would be something to see. I've struggled to get to the modelling bench this last couple of months for various reasons but I managed to get over to the 2mmFS Pennine Area Group yesterday which has re-invigorated my modelling interest. It helped with having a test track so I managed to get my rail motor trundling around for a bit.

And there's me down with the lurgy. Sorry I missed you Adrian.

john lewsey

Western Thunderer
Hi if you want to see something rather nice in 2mm have a look on rm web at pixies workbench and watch a working tipper lorry in 2mm
Really nice