7mm Old Buffers Transformer Wagon

Old Buffer

Western Thunderer
This project is going to be a long drawn out affair as I am fitting it in with trying to get some other stuff finished.
This is the only drawing I have of the prototype, all the other sizing has to be made by eye from the photo’s on Paul Bartletts website. Using the measurements from the drawing and transfering to the photo’s to get somewhere near to being correct.
117_1742.jpg
This is one of the beams nearly finished, before I was kicked off the kitchen table and warned not to return or else.
113_1367.jpg
The beams are 3 pieces cut shaped and laminated together, I started making them from brass but when I got all 6 together they weighed far too much so they are made from thin strip timber.

117_1740.jpg
117_1747.jpg
The W irons were marked out onto a strip of blackened brass (12 to a strip) and cut out with a piercing saw, what you see is how many more I have to cut out.
117_1741.jpg
As soon as I have them all cut out I will clean up and start making the bogies, then the weight transfer carriers, as each one is carried on 2 bogies.
These are some of the bits already cut out for the bogies and weight transfer carriers.
117_1748.jpg
The axle boxes and springs were a bit of a headache as I couldn’t find any that are correct for the job, I managed to get some that look near enough, but they are LNER tender axle boxes and springs.
117_1749.jpg
More to follow as and when.
Alan

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
The thing that impresses me on this is the neatness of the fretting out of the W irons - and you've got 24 to do. I'd have given up at 4 I think.

That's a hell of a vehicle to scratchbuild. I'm afraid I'd have resorted to etches.

It's an impressive start Alan. I look forward to the rest of the progress.

Richard

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
The thing that impresses me on this is the neatness of the fretting out of the W irons - and you've got 24 to do. I'd have given up at 4 I think.
That's a hell of a vehicle to scratchbuild. I'm afraid I'd have resorted to etches.

It's an impressive start Alan. I look forward to the rest of the progress.

Richard

I think I'd have lobbed it through the window after attempting just one! I just don't possess that level of patience and would definitely have resorted to etching. Full marks to Alan though and looking forward to seeing it progress. :thumbs:

Regards

Dan

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Alan,
Great to see scratch built projects such as this, true modelmaking:thumbs: . From which railway company is the wagon?

ATB, Col.

Old Buffer

Western Thunderer
Alan,
Great to see scratch built projects such as this, true modelmaking:thumbs: . From which railway company is the wagon?

ATB, Col.
Col,
Built 1953 by Head Wrightson, there were only 2 of them. No's 901800 and 901801, they were both scrapped in the 80's I think.
Alan

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Alan, a truly mammoth task and one which you can only be admired for tackling, looking forward to more progress photos.

cheers

Mike

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Hi Alan, it just goes to show. It's not the wagon I was thinking of, I was thinking of the LNER one that someone on the LNER forum is building.

It's looking superb I wish I had the skill to fret out all those W irons and get them all looking so neat and similar - I am sure mine would be all sorts of sizes. I look forward to seeing this progress.

Old Buffer

Western Thunderer
Hi Alan, it just goes to show. It's not the wagon I was thinking of, I was thinking of the LNER one that someone on the LNER forum is building.

It's looking superb I wish I had the skill to fret out all those W irons and get them all looking so neat and similar - I am sure mine would be all sorts of sizes. I look forward to seeing this progress.
Rob,
For someone who can make such a superb job of the pipework on the tank wagon and other work a few w irons would not pose a problem to you.
Richard,
Heyside in particular, the turnouts you produce and also now getting your head around point rodding some w irons would seem easy.
Alan