Old Parrock

PaulR

Western Thunderer
For reasons that will become apparent in due course, this lovely layout appears to have exerted no small influence on plans for future sheep produced layouts........

Rob.
Now that sounds exciting Rob, and I feel honoured of course!

Paul

PaulR

Western Thunderer
There are no pictures to show here, but just to say that I've recently converted Old Parrock to DCC. I've bought a NCE Starter Pack which seems perfect for the job. Electrically the conversion was straightforward. I beefed up the main circuit a bit and fitted the little control panel on the front. It all went very smoothly. I've decided to have sound as well so converting my five locos is having to happen at 'saving up' intervals.

My reason for doing this was that I just wasn't achieving the smooth starts and stops that I crave. There's no doubt that it is a lot better with DCC. The first loco I converted, the Bachmann SECR C Class runs astonishingly well with DCC - such fun to play with.

Now to the Rails of Sheffield Dapol terriers. They're an absolute pain! So far I've worked on one of them. In order to get the running up to scratch I had to add my own supplementary pick ups, which I achieved on two sets of wheels, and open out the coupling rods (not too much luckily) which suggests poor quartering. The centre wheels still lurch. Getting the decoder and speaker in place was extremely difficult and hazardous. To anyone else attempting this, it's vital that the speaker connections are completely insulated because if you just put the body on without precautions they short against the motor frame, which I found out to my cost. I painted the connections with shellac and also covered them with kapton tape. Unfortunately I couldn't fit a stay alive capacitor so there is still the possibility of the occasional sudden stop (which I hate with a vengeance!).

More anon.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
There are no pictures to show here, but just to say that I've recently converted Old Parrock to DCC. I've bought a NCE Starter Pack which seems perfect for the job. Electrically the conversion was straightforward. I beefed up the main circuit a bit and fitted the little control panel on the front. It all went very smoothly. I've decided to have sound as well so converting my five locos is having to happen at 'saving up' intervals.

My reason for doing this was that I just wasn't achieving the smooth starts and stops that I crave. There's no doubt that it is a lot better with DCC. The first loco I converted, the Bachmann SECR C Class runs astonishingly well with DCC - such fun to play with.

Now to the Rails of Sheffield Dapol terriers. They're an absolute pain! So far I've worked on one of them. In order to get the running up to scratch I had to add my own supplementary pick ups, which I achieved on two sets of wheels, and open out the coupling rods (not too much luckily) which suggests poor quartering. The centre wheels still lurch. Getting the decoder and speaker in place was extremely difficult and hazardous. To anyone else attempting this, it's vital that the speaker connections are completely insulated because if you just put the body on without precautions they short against the motor frame, which I found out to my cost. I painted the connections with shellac and also covered them with kapton tape. Unfortunately I couldn't fit a stay alive capacitor so there is still the possibility of the occasional sudden stop (which I hate with a vengeance!).

More anon.

Morning Paul.

Interesting observations regarding the Terriers. I have three which may well be going the DCC route in due course, though not sound at this stage.

I also use a NCE powercab and find it really user friendly. Most important for this non-tech sheep.

Returning to the Terriers, one thing I noticed is the flappy-aboutness of the DCC board which I noted can press down on the centre drivers. I put a slight arched relief on the bottom edge of the board which has provided improved clearance.

I also agree regarding the speaker and in addition, I think the metal casting over the gears is questionable. I do believe that if this is not positioned correctly (difficult as there is no apparent way of positively locating it other than a pin) it will also adversly affect the slow running /halting of these locos.

All in all, innards of these locos seem poorly thought out.

Rob.

PaulR

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob,

Absolutely! Getting the body on without dislodging the decoder took huge patience and a lot of careful fiddling. In the end I packed behind it so that it didn't fold back and pop out of the connection (I say 'I', but actually my wife Helen helped me in the end to soothe my frustrations!). I've heard that Next 18 decoders have a tendency to dislodge easily.

I actually tried to send it off to two professional DCC fitters and both refused to handle Dapol terriers. Both said they are impossible to work with and one railed about the pick up method, which had also been frustrating me because they keep stopping for no apparent reason.

One of my terriers now has supplementary pick ups. I took the keeper plate off and drilled small holes in it. I then soldered wire onto the pickup leads underneath and fed them through - and replaced the keeper plate. Using short lengths of copper clad sleepers I was able to add extra pickups on the front and centre wheels which can't be seen. It runs better, but is not perfect.

I have a Hornby terrier which also needs a decoder and speaker, I'm hoping for better things with that one.

All best,

Paul

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Hi Paul.

Further to our earlier observations, I've now have a few more courtesy of Dapol's Isle of Wight bunkered 32650.

Of the three I acquired from Dapol this was the one with the worst running characteristics that I decided to keep. After a few exchanges of poor running/damaged/assembled poorly locos it was a case of accept this or do without. Dapol set out their position in email. Take it or leave it !

Anyhow, I've been pottering this afternoon in the Room of Doom and pulled out 32650.

As luck would have it, I had a spare decoder, Bachmann/zimo as it happens. I popped it in and gave the little chap a run.

Good lord ! What a transformation! Much smoother and very, very creepy crawly. And that settles that. The Terriers will be certainly be DCC'd.

No all I've got to do is hold everything whilst I replace the body, including that flippin' speaker......!

Rob.

PaulR

Western Thunderer
Hi Paul.

Further to our earlier observations, I've now have a few more courtesy of Dapol's Isle of Wight bunkered 32650.

Of the three I acquired from Dapol this was the one with the worst running characteristics that I decided to keep. After a few exchanges of poor running/damaged/assembled poorly locos it was a case of accept this or do without. Dapol set out their position in email. Take it or leave it !

Anyhow, I've been pottering this afternoon in the Room of Doom and pulled out 32650.

As luck would have it, I had a spare decoder, Bachmann/zimo as it happens. I popped it in and gave the little chap a run.

Good lord ! What a transformation! Much smoother and very, very creepy crawly. And that settles that. The Terriers will be certainly be DCC'd.

No all I've got to do is hold everything whilst I replace the body, including that flippin' speaker......!

Rob.
Hi Rob,

That's great news and thanks for letting me know. I have managed to fit one of my two Dapol terriers with a Zimo decoder and it is much better. The new generation of Zimo decoders has a small amount of 'stay alive' and I'm going to try one of those in the other one, and also supplement the pick ups. The stay alive is only momentary apparently, a second or two I'll let you know how I get on, which will be in the next fortnight - they're not cheap so I have to save up for them. If that is a further improvement I'll save up and put the new generation in both.

Old Parrock has it's first 'actual' exhibition in October and I really want it running as well as I can manage. I saw that you've been out exhibiting and enjoying it - and getting a great response. Hopefully we'll meet up in person one of these days!

Paul

adrianmc

Old Parrock has it's first 'actual' exhibition in October and I really want it running as well as I can manage. I saw that you've been out exhibiting and enjoying it - and getting a great response. Hopefully we'll meet up in person one of these days!

Looking forward to seeing the layout at Uckfield.

Adrian