There are no pictures to show here, but just to say that I've recently converted Old Parrock to DCC. I've bought a NCE Starter Pack which seems perfect for the job. Electrically the conversion was straightforward. I beefed up the main circuit a bit and fitted the little control panel on the front. It all went very smoothly. I've decided to have sound as well so converting my five locos is having to happen at 'saving up' intervals.
My reason for doing this was that I just wasn't achieving the smooth starts and stops that I crave. There's no doubt that it is a lot better with DCC. The first loco I converted, the Bachmann SECR C Class runs astonishingly well with DCC - such fun to play with.
Now to the Rails of Sheffield Dapol terriers. They're an absolute pain! So far I've worked on one of them. In order to get the running up to scratch I had to add my own supplementary pick ups, which I achieved on two sets of wheels, and open out the coupling rods (not too much luckily) which suggests poor quartering. The centre wheels still lurch. Getting the decoder and speaker in place was extremely difficult and hazardous. To anyone else attempting this, it's vital that the speaker connections are completely insulated because if you just put the body on without precautions they short against the motor frame, which I found out to my cost. I painted the connections with shellac and also covered them with kapton tape. Unfortunately I couldn't fit a stay alive capacitor so there is still the possibility of the occasional sudden stop (which I hate with a vengeance!).
Hi Rob,Hi Paul.
Further to our earlier observations, I've now have a few more courtesy of Dapol's Isle of Wight bunkered 32650.
Of the three I acquired from Dapol this was the one with the worst running characteristics that I decided to keep. After a few exchanges of poor running/damaged/assembled poorly locos it was a case of accept this or do without. Dapol set out their position in email. Take it or leave it !
Anyhow, I've been pottering this afternoon in the Room of Doom and pulled out 32650.
As luck would have it, I had a spare decoder, Bachmann/zimo as it happens. I popped it in and gave the little chap a run.
Good lord ! What a transformation! Much smoother and very, very creepy crawly. And that settles that. The Terriers will be certainly be DCC'd.
No all I've got to do is hold everything whilst I replace the body, including that flippin' speaker......!
Old Parrock has it's first 'actual' exhibition in October and I really want it running as well as I can manage. I saw that you've been out exhibiting and enjoying it - and getting a great response. Hopefully we'll meet up in person one of these days!