7mm On Heather's workbench - a trio of JLTRT Mk2s

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I'll tell you how rational I am. I spent ages fettling together a good representation of the Mk2 guard's compartment, only you can't see any of it with the roof on. :confused::drool:

IMG_5032.jpg

That's about all you can make out, even with good light - the brake handwheel. :))

IMG_5029.jpg

IMG_5031.jpg

Anyway, after a short break to compose my thoughts, I shall set about the remaining brass details (end steps, door handles, handrails - not for the guard's doors, as Tom has a nice etch that will be heading my way, though it won't get to me before Richard collects the coaches), and daubing some paint about on some of the parts that got missed during construction.

I'll sum things up in another post, once I've cleared the bench to make room for the next project.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I'll tell you how rational I am. I spent ages fettling together a good representation of the Mk2 guard's compartment, only you can't see any of it with the roof on...
And just how much have we enjoyed what you have done in such a small space? And how much have we all learnt about the fitting out of these coaches?

regards, Graham

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
And just how much have we enjoyed what you have done in such a small space? And how much have we all learnt about the fitting out of these coaches?

We know it's in there. We have the photos to prove it. Perhaps we should try and persuade Richard to fit lighting...

You are very correct. though. I believe we have moved the collective knowledge of Mk2 coach modelling on a notch or two. I'd like to thank everyone who contributed such useful information along the way. Unless there are any major objections, I'd like to post the various personal images I've gathered from various sources to the Mk2 resources thread.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Having completed all the final details and painting, I spent the rest of the evening running the coaches up and down our test plank to check things ran as smoothly as they can. It's a 6ft board with some horrid crossings, dips and sharp reverse curves. I have complained to the District Engineer that it needs to be made longer to accommodate these modern coaches - I had to jack one end up to throw the points! Each coach is reasonably happy to negotiate the nasty bits at near express speeds, but things got a bit hairy when coupled to each other. I fear final fettling for smooth running may have to be done by the customer on his own layout.

Okay, how shall I sum up this build? Well, having built a few of JLTRT's Mk1s I was prepared for all kinds of problems. It turns out JLTRT have learned a trick or two and applied them to the Mk2 kits. I actually enjoyed building them.

I like the way the roof bolts are designed to fit up through the toilet compartments (expect for the brake), so there's no faffing about trying to disguise them. I like the way the floor mouldings have holes ready to accept the various castings without needing me to drill them out (save for clearance, or to actually fit things like the bogie bolts). I liked the way the interior flooring was designed to accept the seats and partitions into precut slots. I liked the way the sides and ends fitted nicely together, and even fitting the roofs was a relatively stress-free operation. I liked the inclusion of alternate ends with gangway closed or open.

I didn't like the glazing. It feels like an afterthought, and the material used - while crystal clear - is easily marked and came somewhat bowed in the box. Where the laser hadn't sliced through cleanly, it took for ever to trim things out, and I also found some of the windows on the BSO needed further remedial work to fit. I didn't like the way the window sliding vents have to be trimmed from a laser-cut plastic sheet: this leads to differing widths, untidy edges and it detracts from the overall high quality found elsewhere. It feels - again - like an afterthought. I can't help thinking etched vents would have been preferable. (I can see why the chosen solution has been used, because the later variants of the Mk2 were air-conditioned and didn't have ventilators on the windows, but still.)

The kits, then, are a typical JLTRT curate's egg. When things are good, they are very good, but when things are bad you have to grow your swearing lexicon to cope. With some thought, care, and not a little scratchbuilding to add the bits that are oddly missing, very acceptable models of Mk2s can be made. I hope Richard will be happy with them, and I look forward to seeing them properly lettered at Brightwell.

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi Heather

A very enjoyable thread. I like the way you have faced the problems and shown how you have surmounted them. The finished coaches look very nice - and I have to admit, better than I was expecting.

What's next on the workbench, I'm just off to get the popcorn:thumbs:

Richard

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
Heather,

It's been great watching you build things so swiftly. It made me pull my finger out and get the etched details complete. I think you've contributed a huge amount to developing the JLTRT option from a battery egg into a more refined curate's egg :thumbs:

Lets hope JLTRT's MK3 starts life as an organic egg ready to be transformed into a golden egg and you entertain us with build progress :D

Cheers

Tom

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Heather

very enjoyable thread read and the 'tips & tricks' will be most helpful when I start my H33 conversion soon. Thanks for all opf the explanations.

cheers

Mike

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I'm glad you enjoyed my ramblings!

The next build will be another MK2B, but this time straight from the box with no added extras. It's for JLTRT's exhibition stand, so it wouldn't be fair to add anything beyond the box contents, save wheels and paint.

Equally, it'll probably make a very dull workshop thread, since I've already done three of the things, nominally to a higher standard. :))

Sometime fairly soon I will be starting a set of three ex-GWR Collett bow-ended coaches for a new client commission. I will document those as it begins. I also have some other projects that might see the light of day here - including a couple of kettles that have been lingering around the workshop like forlorn waifs for too long.

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
I too have enjoyed your builds of these JLTRT MK2's very much Heather:) .......I think your forthcoming build without extras would be interesting too, as we could all see for ourselves what the kit is like staight out of the box:thumbs:

Cheers Phill;)

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I think your forthcoming build without extras would be interesting too, as we could all see for ourselves what the kit is like staight out of the box:thumbs:

After I read your comment, I went to have a look at Richard's coaches to see if there was anything at all obvious. Apart from the bogie steps, lamp brackets, toilet filler overflow pipes and passenger communication flags - all quite small details - there doesn't seem to be much to show for all the work. :confused:

Anyway, Richard's just been and collected the coaches. Next time I'll see them will be at the S7 meeting at Brightwell in a couple of weeks. I shall nab them to get some proper photos done for the portfolio. There's a possibility of an MMP Mk1 RMB at some point. :eek:

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
There's a possibility of an MMP Mk1 RMB at some point. :eek:

Ooh, yes please. :thumbs: I have an MMP BCK to build, but as I've only managed one day's modelling in the past two years (children & DIY) and the foreseeable future will be just as barren, it'll be good to see someone else tackling one of these kits. :)

(A friend has built an MMP BSK and it looks excellent). :thumbs:

Regards

Dan

djparkins

Western Thunderer
There's a possibility of an MMP Mk1 RMB at some point. :eek:

No need for the 'eek'! - just remember though you are into a four figure tally of parts if you include the interior but as Darren Sherwood said in the MMP BSK kit review in Modelrail - you are only dealing with one part at any one time. It won't be anything like the JLTRT build though!

DJP/MMP

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Although Heather has passed these carriages to Richard... the following photos show aspects of a Mk.2 about which Heather asked questions on forum. The carriage is M5241 on the East Lancs Rly., hopefully someone can provide chapter and verse about this specimen... please provide comment / information about the images, especially the colour of the vestibule wall and the period for the seat upholstery.

First, the end vestibule:-
ELR Mk.2 M5241 28-03-2013 M web.jpg

ELR Mk.2 M5241 28-03-2013 T web.jpg

Then the wooden tables, a small table for the single seat bay and a larger table for the double seat bay.

ELR Mk.2 M5241 28-03-2013 N web.jpg

ELR Mk.2 M5241 28-03-2013 O web.jpg

Now the metal versions, as before a small table for the single seat bay and... must have been pinched - never mind, the second image here shows the wall sockets into which the table is fitted.

ELR Mk.2 M5241 28-03-2013 P web.jpg

ELR Mk.2 M5241 28-03-2013 S web.jpg

regards, Graham