7mm On Heather's workbench - a trio of JLTRT Mk2s

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Gubbins on the bufferbeam. Some of these bits will no doubt fall off between now and completion, which is one reason why I haven't affixed the corner steps yet. They're fragile wee beasties, so I'll leave them until later in the build.

IMG_4782.jpgIMG_4786.jpg

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I need to adjust the cocks - ooer, missus! I don't know the provenance of the castings, but the handles are separate parts that fit in holes. I've managed to glue mine in the wrong way. :mad::oops:

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
... I don't know the provenance of the castings, but the handles are separate parts that fit in holes. I've managed to glue mine in the wrong way.
Probably... actually I was commenting on the orientation of the body of the steam heat cock - the pressure relief valve on the prototype is at the bottom, not at the side (um, I did offer this image to you last month... for a small fee I can forget conveniently the gist of your reply ;) ).

When I can work out this Dropbox doobry-fangly thing then I shall put all of the Mk.1 grotofafs in there, maybe you might want to add yours?

regards, Graham

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
the pressure relief valve on the prototype is at the bottom, not at the side

I can only work with what my Bits Box disgorges. It just happened to have the required six identical castings in this form, rather than a hodgepodge mix-and-match of other dubious whitemetal blobs. Once it's all dark, dirty and mostly hidden by the coupling... :rolleyes:

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
Some MK2A pics for you Heather:
MK2A 2012_0502 sml.jpg
MK2A 2012_0502f sml.jpg

I need to sort out all the pics, but will start a MK2 thread soon.

Cheers

Tom

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Those Mk2 images are so sad... the rot and grot does not help. Interesting that the steam heat pipe has been blanked.

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
Those Mk2 images are so sad... the rot and grot does not help. Interesting that the steam heat pipe has been blanked.

Most of them are razor blades now. Never mind the steam heat pipe, pity the poo pipe wasn't blanked too:eek: It must have been a very mucky job being a shunter!

Cheers

Tom

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Excellent pics, Tom.

It shows well the variations from the 2A to 2C ends. Interesting that there appears to be a door bumper on the 2C. Presumably it's to stop it swinging into the end grab rail.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Today's update shows progress on the interior paintwork. I couldn't resist a mockup with the sides, partitions, seats and tables propped in position. The wonky tables will be fixed once they're glued in properly, and I plan on a lick of brown round the edges to simulate the wooden edging, then a coat of satin varnish all over.

I remain to be convinced by the orange vestibule colour, but that's what my researches tell me it ought to be. You have to love the colour choices of the late 1960s.

IMG_4787.jpg

IMG_4788.jpg

IMG_4789.jpg

IMG_4790.jpg

It's horrible how every minute speck of dust gets magnified in these shots!

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Hi Heather,

That looks great.:thumbs: I think you have done the seats very well:bowdown:.

Really looks the part. I look forward to the next installment;)

Rob:)

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Really looks the part. I look forward to the next installment;)

Thanks Rob! :)

The interior walls have all since had a second coat of the veneer colour, and are now in the Enhanced Paint Drying Facility, aka the airing cupboard. I don't think it'll be long before the air will be thick with blue and grey.

Now, if Laurie will just get his postal room elves to send me those missing bits, I can complete the underframes as well. :oops:

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I've fitted the seats, tables and partitions permanently now - well, as permanently as MEK seems to be with the plastic sheet JLTRT uses.

I couldn't resist mocking up the sides, ends and roof to see what the finished interior looks like in the gloom. I'm quite pleased with the effect.

IMG_4796.jpg

IMG_4797.jpg

IMG_4799.jpg

Those damned tables will be the death of me. Tops come adrift, they don't sit square in the floor slot, the slightest knock - even breathing near them! - dislodges them. I think some Evergreen strip reinforcement will be required to make sure they stay put once sealed inside for all eternity!

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Heather

It all looks great, except for those orange ends, where did that information come from as I don't recall that at all, I'm sure they were a wood finish by 1980.

Richard

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Those damned tables will be the death of me. Tops come adrift, they don't sit square in the floor slot, the slightest knock - even breathing near them! - dislodges them. I think some Evergreen strip reinforcement will be required to make sure they stay put once sealed inside for all eternity!
The table tops look a little narrow to me, no reflecton on your superb work though :cool:

Phill :)

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Harris' book, page 57.

The open seconds and brake open seconds perpetuated the interior decor and fittings of the 2As and their successors but in the vestibules of these, and also the firsts and brake firsts, the end walls and door internal skins featured GRP panelling of a bright orange-red hue.

Actually, having read that again, the toilet partition and end wall up to the door should be veneer, as you say. It's the end and door panels that are orange. I've sent this coach back to the paint shop for rectification. ;)

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
The table tops look a little narrow to me, no reflecton on your superb work though

The tables are what come in the kit. Looking at the diagrams in Harris' book, they seem about right in relation to the seats, but I haven't any actual measurements to check against.