7mm On Heather's workbench - a trio of JLTRT Mk2s

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I've just been doing a ninterwebz image survey of the blue-grey livery as used on Mk2s in the late 1970s and early 1980s. :confused:

For a standard corporate livery, there are plenty of minor variations to throw spanners in the paint tin.

By the by, I am carefully considering not gluing the roofs on, in case Richard wishes to swap out the Kadee couplings for the shorter variants. I guess I could epoxy the fixing bolt in place so the nut can be removed without taking the roof off...

Bob Reid

Western Thunderer
Minor variations maybe Heather but never widely different than the plan! If you want to check out the accuracy of the JLTRT bodylight apertures - the large bodylights should measure 35 mm x 21.26 mm on the inside frame edges - and the smaller toilet / van bodylights 15.75 mm x 21.26 mm again on the inside frame edges. In both cases, the width of the frame should be 1.28 mm give or take a gnats.

Can't find the drawings to double check all of the vertical dimensions at the moment - in case I gave you some duff info however the (vertical) height of the coach side - from the bottom of the drop edge to the underside of the gutter should be 47.96 mm....

Mike - out of interest, what are the "HMRS pre-drawn ends"......

Bob

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Minor variations maybe Heather but never widely different than the plan!

Very true. I was only considering a variation on the colour of the roof dome at the ends, as some seem to be roof grey, and others blue to match the ends. Like the trio of Mk1 SOs I made last year, I made slight variations to details on each one, rather than make three identical coaches.

Oh, and thanks for the dimensions for the windows. I'll check the sides against them a little later. Domestic chores are foremost on this sunny Friday morning.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
If you want to check out the accuracy of the JLTRT bodylight apertures - the large bodylights should measure 35 mm x 21.26 mm on the inside frame edges - and the smaller toilet / van bodylights 15.75 mm x 21.26 mm again on the inside frame edges. In both cases, the width of the frame should be 1.28 mm give or take a gnats.

According to my digital vernier:

Actual bodylight (inside frame) = 35 x 21.26​
Model = 32.64 x 20.88 :confused:
Actual toilet light (inside frame) = 15.75 x 21.26​
Model = 15.39 x 21.26​
Actual frame width = 1.28​
Model = between 1.43 and 1.90 depending on side :oops:
Actual body height = 47.96​
Model = 47.83 :thumbs:
I think grey panels will have to fit as best they can, as the rest of the model is definitely in the NQLTRT territory. :))

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Mike - out of interest, what are the "HMRS pre-drawn ends"......
Bob

Hi Bob,

on the HMRS BR Coach lining Sheet - number 23, which includes the Blue/Grey period, there are 10 pre drawn ends which include the radii forming the corners. I normally apply the ends first and then join them up with the straight lines cut to length from elsewhere on the sheet.

Cheers

Mike

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Heather, thank you for providing a view of the window size re model versus prototype. I think that I could live with the frame discrepancy... more concerning is the smaller size of the opening for the model bodylight. Whilst the window opening could be enlarged to do so accurately and consistently is likely to be onerous if the only tool is a file and drill shank. Correcting the size of the opening then introduces another snorter... undersize glazing.

So where is the model window, relative to the prototype, in the vertical plane? Your photos suggest that the window might be a tad high.

regards, Graham

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Graham, I am none too sure. I suspect the windows are a gnat's too high in the body. Bear in mind the Mk2D/E/F windows didn't have ventilators, and were shorter and lower in the body side. I'm wondering if there's a common mould for the body and different window inserts.

Anyway, I've spent today painting up the interiors pending some blue paint being sprayed about.

IMG_4848.jpg

Here you can see the "prototype" sides on the left, with the remaining TSO and BSO sides with matt earth undercoat for the veneer sections.

IMG_4852.jpg

Here are the same sides after the mahogany colour is applied. I've assumed the central passenger door and vestibule on the brake was given veneer finish rather than the lurid GRP orange.

I've also been working on the guard's compartment and toilet compartments.

IMG_4851.jpg

Still nothing in the mail from sunny Irvine. It's been a week now...:rant:

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
While having a well-earned steaming mug of tilty elbow (deep, deep joy), I realised I ought to make a list of the tasks remaining on these coaches. If I don't make a list, I will most likely forget something chronically important, like fitting the bogies to the underframes or similar. Anyway, you might be able to read some of this. If there's enough interest (and I can be bothered :p) I will transcribe the contents.

IMG_4853.jpg

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Enjoying your thread Heather -you seem to encounter as many painting disasters as I do! They are looking very good.

Regards

Tony

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
... I ought to make a list of the tasks remaining on these coaches.
I do the same as you... and often write the notes on the computer using notepad (or equivalent) and then email the text to my own inbox... and save the contents on the e-mail web-server of my ISP. There are a couple of benefits of doing this...
1/ I can add to / remove / change the notes without either re-writing the paperwork or loosing same;
2/ I can access the notes when out of the house, say at a show, when I want to compare goodies on offer against goodies required.

The idea is used in August to ensure that I have a reasonable shopping list for Telford... and again at the end of November for the Reading Trade Show.

regards, Graham

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I'm old skool. I prefer having the notepad on the bench where I can scratch a nice thick black line through tasks done.

I like the idea of having the notes to hand while out and about, but my mobile phone won't let me do that. I think that's probably a blessing.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Hello again! A stern trunk telephone call to Scotland will be made shortly, as I am still awaiting the missing parts. :rant:

Nevertheless, I have been fettling odds and ends on the bench. All coaches now have their floor in place, and I've assembled and painted the partitions and guard's compartment. I've also assembled and mostly painted the guard's comp detailing bits.

Now, bearing in mind much of the detail won't be visible, even through the door window, I've concentrated on the bits you will see. Incidentally, if you're familiar with the detailing kit for the Mk1 brakes, it's the same thing for the Mk2. The desk needs to be shortened a bit so it clears the Mk2 window. Like I say, you probably won't even see it when the roof's on, but as it was provided it's been prepared for fitting. Here it all is, mocked up while I wait for those mythical missing bits.

IMG_4872.jpg

IMG_4873.jpg

IMG_4876.jpg

IMG_4878.jpg

Close-ups show the dust and messy paintwork horribly. Still, it'll be dark in there. This is why I am not even going to attempt that fine filigree letter rack etch. Sometimes, life is too short. :rolleyes: I do have this thing about scribing the inside of the doors. Such things will never really be seen.

I don't want to complete interiors until I've finished the underframes. It'll be easier to fit the missing bits when I can lay the floors flat on the bench.

Addendum: Just spoken to Laurie, who swears blind the bits went in the post. It seems we may have a nascent 7mm scale modeller working for our local sorting office...

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
Close-ups show the dust and messy paintwork horribly. Still, it'll be dark in there. This is why I am not even going to attempt that fine filigree letter rack etch. Sometimes, life is too short. :rolleyes: I do have this thing about scribing the inside of the doors. Such things will never really be seen.

I think the scribing is worth it. If someone does glance in, you'll make out the important door shape. What paint did you use for the interior grey?

Cheers

Tom

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
What paint did you use for the interior grey?

The brake end walls and cage are Humbrol Matt 1, which is a pale grey that seemed about right from what I can glean from the sources. The passenger compartment floor is Humbrol Matt 30, the brake end floor is Matt 27.

I'm currently working on the roofs. All the ventilators have been fitted. There are ten per coach, and it takes a while to pick out the cleanly moulded ones from the dodgy ones not worth cleaning up. Happily, JLTRT tend to put more than required in the bag, and I have a fair number spare from previous projects.

Tomorrow I hope to get some primer on the roofs, and then mask out the one which'll get the blue ends. I also need to get the masking for the bodysides sorted out. I should think the grey is dry enough by now!

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I have tentatively masked and sprayed one side of the BSO. I'm just waiting for things to harden before I remove the masking.

Photos will follow of the masking process later. Right now, I'm chewing fingernails in case the tape takes the grey paint off with it... :oops:

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
You may have heard the sigh of relief earlier. Most of the grey remained attached to the body!

IMG_4887.jpg

Masking: I use Tamiya 10mm masking tape for the edges. I chose the BSO for the masking test because of the extra doors and whatnot. The Tamiya tape has a nice sharp edge, and is flexible enough to be pushed down into ridges and edges, and is low tack so - in theory - it doesn't remove paint with it when taken off the work. Once the edges are done, I use normal masking tape to fill in the middle. Other tools are a standard steel rule, a scale rule to let me measure in scale feet and inches rather than strain my brain cell, a scalpel with a sharp 10A blade (and stock of fresh blades) and a propelling pencil.

IMG_4883.jpg

First up I marked out the panel. I marked a vertical centre point on a couple of window frames at 12mm, and then used my CPL scale rule to give me 1ft 10in either side. I joined the marks up to ensure they were more or less parallel with the body itself.

IMG_4886.jpg

Richard had agreed the end of the grey panel shouldn't wrap around the body, so I checked sources and worked out by guesstimation the panel stopped about 3in from the door window. The brake end was a bit harder to work out, but it's something just over a foot from the end of the coach. Pencil marks can be removed by the application of a moistened cotton bud; where blue was to cover it I didn't bother cleaning up.

IMG_4888.jpg

Here you see the Tamiya tape in place. Gentle but firm pressure around the window frames, door strips, and so on, using edge of fingernail and a cocktail stick, ensures as little paint works its way under the tape as possible. My big worry was the grey would pick off when the tape was removed - as indeed it did on the corrosion strips I made from Evergreen strip. (I know they look a bit thick, but they look better in the flesh.)

IMG_4889.jpg

The gap in the middle was covered by a standard strip of masking tape - which is ironically the exact width of the grey panel. If I could trust the adhesive not to tear off the paint it's masking, I'd probably use it throughout. You'll note I haven't bothered with the corner radii. I find it a bit easier to patch those by brush during the lining process later.

IMG_4891.jpg

Some time later, after a session in the spray booth, warming the rattle can with my hairdryer (I knew it would come in handy one day!), a brief excursion downstairs because I developed a nosebleed, and about four coats of paint in all, things had dried enough I could risk taking the masking off. It's out of focus because I was so excited. Not really. I think the camera was confused by the shine.

IMG_4892.jpg

I left things as long as I dared before I decided to take the plunge and remove the sticking plaster. Thankfully, the grey paint appears to be intact. There's quite a lip, though, where the blue met the masking tape, which is a bit disappointing. Hopefully a very careful scrape with a steady hand and sharp blade will clear that. The rest of the tape came away cleanly, apart from one patch by the passenger end door, and those pesky corrosion strips. Some brush painted remedial work will be required.

IMG_4897.jpg

IMG_4898.jpg

Some paint inevitably crept under the masking tape. The rattle can process means you have to be a bit closer to the model than really feels comfortable, and if the tape isn't securely settled this sort of thing will happen. Again, I hope a sharp blade, some T-Cut and some careful repair with a brush will sort this out.

IMG_4899.jpg

The "thin blue line" above the windows will need some more TLC. With luck, the white dividing line will hid the worst excesses. This side is now in the Paint Drying and Hardening Facility (A.K.A. the airing cupboard) to fully harden before further handling

Now to mask up the remaining five sides for a session tomorrow.

Did I mention how much I hate spray painting? It used to be I hated using the airbrush, but I think, on balance, I prefer the finesse of the airbrush over the brute force of the rattle can.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Hi Heather,
I have to say that since buying a decent airbrush I won't be buying any more rattle cans once the ones that I have are used.

Bob Reid

Western Thunderer
Sorry Heather but where on earth did the holes in the partition between the guards van and the adjacent corridor come from? there shouldn't be any at all........That's two Luggage Compt/van partitions you've been given.

There's definitely something funny going on with that grey panel - the lower demarcation between the blue & grey should run through the bottom bolt hole of the commode handles.

Bob.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Sorry Heather but where on earth did the holes in the partition between the guards van and the adjacent corridor come from? there shouldn't be any at all........That's two Luggage Compt/van partitions you've been given.

I did wonder. They both came off the same laser cut sheet. :confused:

There's definitely something funny going on with that grey panel - the lower demarcation between the blue & grey should run through the bottom bolt hole of the commode handles.

Hmm. Those windows must be too high then. *sigh* :oops::mad: