On Heather's Workbench - going wide

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
It's proving hard to get any sort of motivation going today, so let's review what I managed yesterday.

image.jpg

Each coach end has three holes etched in the folded base. These are originally intended to be used to fix the body to the underframe, but the outer holes handily match where the lighting wires appear. Some filing to open the holes for a fit that avoided crimping the wires later, and some styrene offcut spacers on the back of the seat unit, and the fitting is about as neat as any afterthought can be.

image.jpg

With a trusty clothes peg holding the seat against the end of the coach things look a little tidier. I've cleaned off the paint where the seat units need to glue to the floor. The seats will go in after the body is fixed to the underframe, which will be after I've lettered it, which might be today if I can get my mojo together.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Staying with my traditional method of doing everything bass-ackwards, I set about engineering a way of fixing the body the underframe.

:rolleyes:

image.jpg

Having already arranged the top step assemblies using a pair of bolts per side, my idea settled on fabricating simple brass clips that can be held under the nuts. Of course, I originally arranged things such that the nuts were below the floor, with the bolts soldered to the step plates…

A bit of rejigging, and some careful soldering later, and the bolts were refixed below the floor, pointing up. Now it was a simple matter to fit the clips to the body shell, apply a nut and washer, and tighten down.

Then, of course, I had to chop holes in the floor to clear the nuts, which are obviously higher than the original scheme with the bolts on top.

image.jpg

Some of this bodgery can be hidden by strategically placed passengers. The rest might need a suitable plate of styrene above the hole.

If there is ever a next time for one of these convertibles, I will know how to put it together. I am currently not best pleased with the underframe at all, but I am unable to see how it can be improved. I hope some careful packing, painting and weathering will hide the worst of the sins.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Finally, I am in a position to start the lettering. While the underframes have their initial dry after a dose of dirty gunge, let's look at my options.

The period of these models is late 1880s to the end of the Broad Gauge (1892). If I may, I'd like to call on the WT Hive Mind to help me pin down what I am expected to apply.

Beginning with the running numbers, this is fairly straightforward. The numbers are duplicated on each side. For the van, they seem to be applied to the upper eaves panels between the luggage doors and lookout, and the panel out from the guards door. This information is based on Fig 56, page 54, Great Western Coaches Vol 1 (Russell), which shows a contemporary narrow gauge V13 passenger luggage van in the livery I'm trying to recreate. For the S6, the numbers are again in the upper eaves panels, in the large panels nearest the ends between the outer compartments.

Now, we get complicated. I have read through as many times as I can the article Passenger Coaches by John Lewis, published in The Great Western Way (HMRS), which outlines liveries from the earliest days of the GWR. I will quote some of that publication to see if it makes any sense.

Starting with the S6, because it's the simpler of the two, it seems each door should have "THIRD" in the waist panel below each droplight. Company identifiers seem to be either entwined monograms or the garter device, if they are applied at all. The problem I have is the entwined monograms I have from CPL (item 1C) are mahoosive. In fact, I now note they are the same as the loco monograms.

image.jpg

I can't use these, even though they might be correct for the period, as they are simply far too big. Which leaves me the only other option, that of the garter device.

(For future reference, can anyone recommend suitable small entwined monograms from another source?)

image.jpg

These appear inverted because they are spirit fix not waterslide. They also include the supporters, which may or may not be suitable for the current situation. I think I can use the garter device, but I have enough in stock for two coaches provided only one device is applied per side. Where, on a five-compartment coach, would the device go? The central door?

Lewis says:

Until about 1904 GWR coaches could be identified by the use of either one of the garter devices or the entwined monogram in a small size. The problem with trying to define rules of how they were used is made difficult by the lack of clear, dateable, photographs taken in the 1870s or early 1880s. For some reason, too, the first garter device often did not photograph very well. It would appear that in the 1870s some coaches had no company identifier … Photographs show that by the early 1880s the garter device was in use on coaches with First Class accommodation either on the doors … or between the doors below the waist panels.

I am open to correction, but I read that to say a third class coach in the period being modelled may not have had a company identifier applied. The entwined monogram, however, was used on third class coaches. D'oh!

Back to the V8. According to Lewis, the word "GUARD" on the door waist panel didn't come into regular use until the early 1890s. I take this to mean it can be left off, and this is supported by some photographic evidence. Equally, "PASSENGER LUGGAGE" might also be left off, seemingly only applied to luggage compartments on passenger carrying vehicles. However, the V13 referenced above shows only the running numbers but does have the luggage door wording, though this is slightly earlier than the period I'm working to, being dated to the 1870s.

Summing up, if I letter the S6 with running numbers and a single garter device without supporters (possibly offset to the left of the central door), and the V8 with running numbers and the luggage door lettering, would I be in the ball park?

Last edited:

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I've just had a nice chat with the inestimable Mr Beare. Between us we think we've worked out a plan of action regarding the lettering. I think trying to work it through in my previous post also helped set things right in my head.

The train the client is trying to build up represents the last days of the broad gauge, where what had been main line coaches had been cascaded to secondary lines and branch traffic to live out their days. He has a photo, I believe, which shows a similarly motley collection of vehicles to that we are currently assembling. With that in mind, the liveries in use would have matched the random selection to some extent. I doubt there would have been much call for repainting older vehicles to the latest livery specification, so perhaps I can get away with some educated guesswork.

So, the V8 PLV, which would have been scrapped in a few short years, can live without any company markings. It will have the running numbers, luggage door markings but no marking on the guard's door. The S6 All Third, however, would have been a little more cared for, since it would have been destined to live on after the gauge switch. Although evidence of convertibles visible in the famous Swindon "Dump" photos seems to show a lack of company markings - though they may well be wearing the less visible small monogram - I am tempted to apply the garter crest. If nothing else, assuming I can find a supplier of entwined monograms, the S6 will give a little variation in the train.

That's my plan. I can't consult with the client, as he's somewhere in the UK right now, and may not be collecting emails. I just hope he approves of my decisions!

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Before piling into the lettering this morning, I wanted to find out whether extra weight would be possible. Following Steph's NMRA guidelines of +1oz for the vehicle, +1oz per axle and +1oz per inch over buffers, I dug out the kitchen scales and did some weighing.

The S6 tips the scales at 14oz, naked. If my calculations are correct, I need to find spaces to hide an additional 12.5oz of weight to bring it up to 26.5oz. This is fine, but there is no available space, save under the Slater's seat units, and a couple of gaps in the underfloor area…

The V8 came in at 11oz, so needs an additional 12.5oz to bring it up to a recommended 23.5oz. There is more space in the van body for the ballast, but if I can't weight the S6 to match, it'll be disproportionately heavy.

I'm open to advice here. My inclination is not to add weight to excess, but rather to balance things better. I can glue in weight on the S6 under the seats, and in various gaps, but it won't add much to the overall weight - perhaps 5 oz. I could add extra to the V8 to match the passenger coach.

Or I could just leave well alone.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Heather,

Your proposed weight for the S6 seems high to me. One ounce (vehicle) plus three ounces (axles) plus 9 ounces (length estimate) gives a target weight of thirteen ounces... so how do you get 26?

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Slow and steady.

image.jpg

The drop lights have been installed, and the main lettering done to the S6. On reflection, I have made an executive decision not to apply an company markings. Evidence from the Dump photos shows nothing as blatant as the garter crest, although there may be small monograms. As I can't see them, I shall leave them off. If the client decides they should be there, he will have to apply them himself.

Before the protective varnish application, I need to work out where the vacuum pipe stands fit. I really should have worked this out before painting began, but my motto does appear to be "all the notes are there, just not necessarily in the right order"!

farnetti

Western Thunderer
I make no apology, incidentally, for my appalling soldering. It's been one of those models. Plans are afoot for a better soldering station in the new year.

I bought an Ersa from Farnell which works wonderfully well, sadly in storage for a the time being. You can set 2 different temperatures (up to 400 degrees if I remember correctly) for different solders plus a standby. It goes from standby to either full temperature in a second or two. Worth a look.

Ken

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Ken, thanks for that info. I think something like that model came up when I did some research a month or so back.

Meanwhile, there's been a little bit of intensive work in and around the paint shop this afternoon and evening.

image.jpg

The V8 body has been united with its underframe, the glaziers have been in - including the guard's lookouts, and the roof has been weathered a little. The end handrails need fabricating, and the vac brake stands need fitting, and I think a little extra weight needs fitting inside. A spot of final weathering, just to make the vehicle look a tired but cared for, and this will be ready for its official portrait.

Tomorrow, hopefully, the S6 will be in much the same situation.

I think the Monday deadline might just be met!

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
image.jpg

With just the end handrails and some minor retouching - and the passengers to be seated - the S6 is now pretty much complete. This morning I fitted the V8 end handrails and brake pipes. I hate the end handrails. I got through four attempts before the shape was about right, and it's not quite there even now.

So, some final bits tomorrow, some mild weathering, and then the works portraits. I might get Sunday off!

image.jpg

Last edited:

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I'm afraid today's activities have been curtailed by a bad tummy. It seems to be passing on now, but while I was feeling a bit Tom and Dick, I set about finalising the four chosen seated figures

image.jpg

I went for the characters who might have frequented the third class accommodation. Two of the men have the look of older clerical workers, while the remaining man and woman (to the right here) can be assumed to be travelling as a couple.

I know I am supposed to have been documenting the decoration of the figures. I intend to begin a thread about it soon. However, the rather piecemeal way I approached these models meant they didn't get photographed at every stage along the way. What I will do is to dig out a figure from the collection not being used for this build, and show what I do.

Let's just say I've used Lifecolor acrylics for the flesh tones, and my preferred enamels for everything else.

Now, to install this mob, get the roof back on and sort out the end handrails.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
As I type, the coaches are all safely packed in their carry box for their journey to the West of England tomorrow. Hopefully I shall get some more images as they sit on a broad gauge layout, perhaps even attached to a loco! After that, they take a trip back down under to their new home.

So, here are the official "works" photos.

Dean BG 6-wheelers (8 of 8).jpg

Dean BG 6-wheelers (6 of 8).jpg

Dean BG 6-wheelers (5 of 8).jpg

Dean BG 6-wheelers (1 of 8).jpg

Dean BG 6-wheelers (2 of 8).jpg

Dean BG 6-wheelers (3 of 8).jpg

It does look like I'm going to have to rebuild my backdrop!