7mm On Heather's Workbench - North Eastern interlude

Brake compartment details getting there

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
You’ll be wanting a coffee stirrer then…

Old paintbrush handle. ;)

D8C51F03-A468-411F-9EC5-83A482A90125.jpeg

I have begun to fit brake compartment parts. Here is the brake third. The seat and ducket will be treated to a suitable moquette in time. Of course, I couldn’t resist fitting the roof to see how much of my hard work remains at all visible.

0DAFAFF6-391B-4916-8D5C-46DFF7113A44.jpeg

I think the answer is, along the lines of Rolls-Royce salesmen when asked how much power the car might have, sufficient.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I don’t like trying to draw three parallel lines along a coach that’s got beading in the way.

There’s a deal of mess to clean up along edges - and the brake third's corridor-side doors are just a gnat's lower than the panel beading either side.

I’ll get there. It may be a while, but I’ll get there.

While paint dries, time for some computer shenanigans I think.

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Wow! That pattern does fry the eyes a bit Heather!

It is interesting to note that London Transport had long been considered to be at the forefront on such matters of taste, yet the management were very insistent that none of the fabric designs submitted for any of it's rolling stock should be so bold as to cause any visual discomfort for it's passengers! Something that the "go ahead" LNER directors appear to have concluded was just old fashioned nonsense?!

I am really glad to be corrected about "Tollerton", and also willingly accept that the more "jazzy" patterns are infinitely preferable when reduced down to 7mm scale - as you so ably demonstrated with your superb Maunsell coach seating.

Pete.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I made up a version of the simpler pattern, which I’ve dubbed "cross and square".

E72C657E-A452-4CF3-8496-05707205B630.jpeg

6868744B-5991-429B-9C55-6CFFF61992B7.jpeg

With a pair of seats made up to see how it looks. The compartment wall has one of the veneer prints as well. It prints a bit lighter than the painted surfaces, but I think it’ll do with the roof on. If nothing else, it saves a good deal of painting!

Tom Insole

Western Thunderer
Is it strange to be able to smell what sitting in that compartment would be like? I can almost feel the big soft springs underneath me too! Beautiful. I think now looking at it I really like that bold pattern. it almost has the worn sit marks on it already. Really enjoying seeing these come to life.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Thanks everyone!

I’m pleased my experiments with printed seat patterns are working. I think I need to acquire more reference material for various companies now, and spend some time making patterns.

I upholstered all the seats yesterday, and "veneered" the compartment dividers. Almost everything is now in place to install the interiors. Before that, I must finish the lining and choose the running numbers.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Probably lost on a 4mm model, but so worth it in the larger scale.

Indeed. I have considered whether the patterns would work at 4mm scale. The print resolution of my inkjet would mean most would blend into a base colour, which is no better than painting. Some of the more brash patterns, like Flying Scotsman, might work.

Reactions: AJC

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Back in 2001 I was blown away by the potential offered by Microsoft Photodraw. So I designed and printed seat 'fabrics' for 4mm coaches, but the only partial success was in open coaches where there is more light swimming about.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Cheers Larry and Mike.

I let things lie fallow for a while. I really wasn’t happy with the cream lining, which seemed way too thick and wayward in places. Attempting to draw the pen across the gaps between beading, while not bumping into door bumps and hinges was very trying.

This morning, with the sun finally shining after a windy night, I took a closer look. A bit of tidying here and there with a sharpened cocktail stick soaked in thinners, a little remedial paint occasionally, and I think it looks okay. Pretty much a two-footer, but for being lugged around in a train it’ll pass. Some weathering would help, I think, but I’ll leave that for the client to decide.

Using a fine Indian ink felt pen I’ve managed to put the black line along the beading, and filled the gaps. Once I’ve tidied the rest, I shall consider lettering. I want to get this build moving and try and complete it soon. I’d like a clear bench for other work to take its place!

Last edited:
Lining trials and tribulations

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I suppose you’d actually like to see the mess I’ve been making?

E2F8164E-045B-4631-B34A-87895F0D0E92.jpeg

This is the BG. It’s still a bit ragged in places. It’s a slow process of refining until I’m satisfied I can refine (or muck up) no further.

913FE110-028A-49FF-9F6E-D730D8384C5C.jpeg

The TK in close-up shows the problem with working around the moulded door bumps, and clearing the gaps between beading.

5C8168C4-D072-4680-96AD-078A2426A407.jpeg

Further away, though, it becomes slightly less obvious. The difference in colour balance is the iPad camera app doing what it likes. The close-up is more accurate overall.

I'm going to leave things to dry again, before I attempt another round of refining.

Allen M

Western Thunderer
Hi Heather
I wish my effort could 10% of your mess (your description) and I would be very happy. :) :D :drool:
Please keep up you work and reports of it.

Regards
Allen