4mm On Heather's workbench - on a Holden to…Yarmouth?

Arun Sharma

Western Thunderer
I can't say, as I don't know about the long-term stability of the materials used in 3D printing.
Something like a roof design is readily 3D printed. Because, as you say, high definition 3D prints are not long term light stable, their shape lends themselves to be easily/readily used as masters for home polyester resin casting. The resultant product is both long lasting and pretty much impervious to any form of erosion/corrosion.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I had an LNER domed roof made by someone, but unfortunately it was a solid chunk of resin. Hornby eventually solved the problem when Gresley corridor coaches were produced. GER elliptical roofs are pretty well unique in shape.

Adrian Rowland and I bought the last stocks of Weeltappers extruded ali roofs ~ I still have a few yards some of the LNWR Cove roof.

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Hello Heather,

I took your advice, bought some acrylic fine filler from Vallejo, comes in a tube with a very fine applicator, squirted it into the gap, wiped off the excess with a damp rag - perfect. I also bought some putty for the ‘nibbled’ corners of the building that need something more substantial. I will post some photos of the products.

Tim

Western Thunderer
I've had very good results with the revell filler, which is basically a filler/stopper of the Humbrol variety. I use it for fine surface filling, deep filling requires something like P38.
Tony

The end? Perhaps. New

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
It feels rather strange drawing this thread to a close when I haven’t actually finished anything. Nevertheless, my part in this story has come to an end.

All the coaches have been carefully packed, all the remaining parts sorted and labelled, and the track has been lifted from the test plank. It only remains for the client to collect things and take them home. He has someone else lined up who is willing to tackle the final stages. I hope I might be able to get some photos of the completed models at some point.

For my part, I have one final commission to deal with. As it’s building three GWR coaches from JLTRT kits, I’m in two minds about whether to open a fresh thread to document something I’ve done several times before. It might be I’ll just drop occasional updates into the What's On My Workbench thread. I shall see.

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Hello Heather,

I took your advice, bought some acrylic fine filler from Vallejo, comes in a tube with a very fine applicator, squirted it into the gap, wiped off the excess with a damp rag - perfect. I also bought some putty for the ‘nibbled’ corners of the building that need something more substantial. I will post some photos of the products.

Tim
As promised

Tim

IMG_2262.jpg