7mm On Heather's Workbench - Prairie ago-go

Discussion in 'WR Action' started by Heather Kay, 8 January 2020.

1. richard carr

richard carr Western Thunderer

Heather I disagree completely, it is exactly what you need especially for coaches. I bought a similar spray gun a good few years ago and I wouldn't be without it for spraying larger O gauge items like diesels and coaches.

Richard

AdeMoore likes this.
  2. Scale7JB

Scale7JB Western Thunderer

Yes the Iwata’s are not ideal for spraying complete models, though I believe Warren gets on well with a larger nozzle..

JB.

AdeMoore likes this.
  3. Heather Kay

Heather Kay Western Thunderer

I disagree with your disagreement! :))

I have considered a larger airbrush/spray gun. It has been discounted for the main reason it would be just too big for most of the jobs I need an airbrush for. I’ve been quite happy using general airbrushes to paint coaches since I got into this malarkey. What I need in an airbrush is a good all-rounder, suitable for model railways and model aircraft, and dealing with enamel and acrylic paints.

Of course, if I found myself being asked to deal with Gauge 3 models…

I wish I’d never given my old Badger 200 to a mate. That thing was virtually bullet proof!

AdeMoore and Deano747 like this.
  4. lankytank

lankytank Western Thunderer

You'll need a bigger bench........ :)) :)) :thumbs: ;)

5. michl080

michl080 Western Thunderer

wow!

The reservoir has 125ml volume. I don't think that I ever needed more than 20ml for any modelling job.

Michael

6. Heather Kay

62F51B86-EF0C-4FC5-A73F-8DC49AFF4DF7.jpeg

New squirty thing. It’s been somewhere very cold during transit, so I’m letting it slowly warm up to somewhere near room temperature. I chose the model with the larger cup.

The currently broken thing will be carefully packed up and sent for repair/refurbishment when I think I can spare the money.

I liked the fact the box - yes, of course I’ve checked inside the box! - had a slip of paper that seems to have been used to test the airbrush itself. A neat squiggle of dark grey paint to prove it had been tested at the factory. I hope they cleaned it out properly afterwards!

AdeMoore, 3 LINK, michl080 and 3 others like this.
  7. michl080

michl080 Western Thunderer

This is a wonderful tool. I am sure you will love it as much as I love my HP-C without '+' .

Michael

8. Heather Kay

Right, I’m in need of some inspiration.

This loco, now it’s nearly complete, needs to be lightly weathered. Tidy, cared for, but a little grubby in the corners, some light track dirt up the sides, perhaps a light dusting of soot and grime along the tops of the boiler, tanks, cab roof... Only I can’t think how to approach it. Any ideas?

9. Longbow

Longbow Active Member

Take a look at Colin Dowling's step-by-step weathering notes starting about half way down this thread:

J68 for Monks Eleigh

10. richard carr

richard carr Western Thunderer

Hi Heather

approach it gently, don't put too much paint on and remember most of that will then have to come off again.

I was going to say here is one I did earlier, but I didn't, Martyn Welch did this for me, it was originally black, maybe it is what you are thinking of.

Richard

20210221_092141_HDR.jpg

20210221_092158.jpg

20210221_092212.jpg

Podartist79, Phil O, AdeMoore and 5 others like this.
  11. Heather Kay

Thanks gents! :thumbs:

I think I know how to do what I want - I’ve done it before. It’s just I feel a bit lacking in confidence at the moment.

12. LarryG

LarryG Western Thunderer

I have a jar of much diluted cellulose 'wash' the colour of dog poo between rusty rails and sleeper grome. It is sprayed on locos and wagon/coach underframes. Being transparent, it is built up to taste. Additional 'weathering' is done with Humbrol Weathering Powders (Dark Earth 16421 for example) brushed on and off to suit. Keep it simple is my moto, as with everything in business.

By steam-era standards, the locos are clean...
    WEB Weathered 2.jpg WEB Weathered 3.jpg WEB Weathered 4.jpg

4mm model (with needlessly clunky wheels)...
    WEB Weathering 2.jpg WEB Weathering 3.jpg

Mike Garwood, paulc, Deano747 and 6 others like this.
  13. Heather Kay

D313C1F7-87FA-4DA0-9D68-9E9C262F9A9C.jpeg

Blummen' heck! February since I last looked at this? Well, time to get weathering I suppose.

One of those massive doses of imposter syndrome doesn’t help. Now, where's Colin's thread? Ah, there it is. Be right back.

Last edited: 4 October 2021
  14. Heather Kay

I think I shall stop here.

4049A2A3-FD43-4576-9351-DA9906D800DF.jpeg

713FF319-4BF8-412D-9E3F-E0AD5D82A38B.jpeg

It’s grubby in all the right places, but looks like it’s had a good going over by the cleaning staff. They’ve succeeded in cleaning most off, and pushing the rest around into the corners.

I plan to leave it to dry, then review again in better light. I really don’t think I want to do any more, to be honest. At least it’s no longer factory fresh.

jonte, scfcphil, 3 LINK and 22 others like this.
  15. Pencarrow

Pencarrow Western Thunderer

I particularly like how you've weathered the turntable Heather.

jonte, simond, richard carr and 2 others like this.
  16. Heather Kay

17. Phil O

Phil O Western Thunderer

Heather,

I think that it looks to be in a suitable work a day condition.

Heather Kay likes this.
  18. Heather Kay

It all went very quiet. I’m afraid I fell out of love with the workbench, but that had the side benefit of allowing the weathering to dry properly.

8DE6C2C5-8D16-4FD9-B1A4-021B74E43BD8.jpeg

6E25A27B-38A0-4765-935E-E2D6ADA37D80.jpeg

Anyway, my mood improved sufficiently that I was happy to fit the crew, find some tools and a bucket, coal the bunker and attach the headlamp.

There is still the matter of some electronics to sort out, but at least the model is cosmetically complete now. Expect some gallery images over the weekend.

jonte, Len Cattley, Phil O and 12 others like this.
  19. Heather Kay

richard carr and Pencarrow like this.