7mm On Heather's Workbench - small and perfectly formed

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Thanks Warren. I'll take that advice on board, and I like the idea of a black coat first. :thumbs:

The garage bods said the most likely cause was the coolant level had dropped too far. I must admit to having been lacking in my weekly checks. I also think the heater matrix may be on the way out, leading to fluid loss. Apparently, after tests, nothing was found amiss. The car was left running for some time, the fan came on when needed, and no kettle impressions.

Best Beloved and I have agreed well consider upgrading to newer car in due course. I think the present one is beginning to show its age.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
I like the painting enough, but less sure about the quality of the castings :(
Has the chap on the left really got his nose coming out and down to meet the corners of his mouth?

Steph

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Has the chap on the left really got his nose coming out and down to meet the corners of his mouth?

It does look that way, but he has a walrus moustache. It's not helped by the way the light falls and my not-quite-finished paint job.

image.jpg

Both castings are from the Heroes Of The Footplate range.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Bill and Ben ? but not Ant and Dec:D ah I know Tom and Jerry..............sorry Heather I'll be serious now.
I must admit that I find painting figures very therapeutic, I can recomend the flesh coloured paints from Lifecolour.

Col.

Ian G

Western Thunderer
I will recomend Lifecolour Paints as I have the wood and rust sets, very easy to use.

Ian G

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
In than case, Colin, please ensure you bring some with you from Peter's emporium so that I may exchange them for coin of the realm. :)

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
While I wait patiently for the primer to dry - I had hoped I might get some top-coating done today, but the weather isn't playing nicely - I have been worrying away at sundry details.

image.jpg

The backhead has a first coat of black paint, ready for details to be picked out. I have a prototype photo I plan to follow for the look of the thing. Fire irons are just some scrap wire that had been a bit bent out of shape, with some scrap etch and some file work. A satisfying hour of fettling.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Heather,
No doubt Graham will be along in a mo to tell me I've lost my marbles, but I've got a niggling little thought that the cab backhead cladding might be green. I know the GWR tended to paint the rest of their cab interiors Green, rather than the pale wood or stone colours other railways used.
I also note that you've painted over the fittings that would normally be bare/bright metal, so I'm wondering why you've decide to go for a painted finish rather than leave them in their natural state?
Steph

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Hi Steph. I have painted everything, partly because of the mix of materials I used to build it. I have a couple of colour references I plan to follow for finishing. I have discussed this with Graham. ;)

Most of the resources I've found regarding the cab colours lead me to believe the backhead is black, with bare metal where it's non-ferrous. Despite the crew's attention, I suspect a wipe with the proverbial oily rag will lead to a general dulling of the copper and brass. The rest of the cab sheeting, including inside the roof, should be green, as you rightly say.

EDIT: I did some more checking, and you are quite correct that the firebox ought to be green. I wonder when it became the norm to paint it black instead?

EDIT 2: More checking, and two sources indicate the backhead should be black, while it's a little ambiguous in a third source. I think I shall play safe and paint it black, picking out the details with suitable dry brushing.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I believe that the cleading plates along the sides / top of the firebox are green whilst the cleading to the firebox front (the backplate) is black.

Polished copper pipework retains an orange/red glow over time whilst in use... tarnishes and then goes a dull colour tending to black when not used (or painted!). Just how bright the glow does depend upon the frequency of cleaning with the oily rag (and the pride of the driver).

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
R.e. colour of the cab, the 41xx at EOR is black for the backhead, and green for the insides of the tanks...

Was there not a hydrostatic lubricator in the kit? Maybe the 57's didn't have them, but I would be surprised..

JB.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Was there not a hydrostatic lubricator in the kit? Maybe the 57's didn't have them, but I would be surprised..
Yes there was... I recollect that Heather mounted the fitting on the inside of the cab front sheet... as that is where the fitting appeared in some of the reference photos.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I believe that the cleading plates along the sides / top of the firebox are green whilst the cleading to the firebox front (the backplate) is black.

I think that's the way I read the sources I mentioned above. I'm just happy there's no lining to do in the cab... :eek: