7mm On Heather's Workbench - wider and longer

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I like the idea of a transfer bank. Other modelling forums do a similar thing, I’ve noticed. The IPMS also has an official library that members can donate spares to, and ask for things if needed. The problem is, how would it work on WT, and who would want to administer it?

Food for thought.

Thanks to Larry, I think I’ll have enough Seconds to complete this batch of coaches. I’m waiting now the client to tell me what running numbers he wants.

The board clips are actually a little oversize, because they’re meant to be used on the roofs of 1930s coaches. They will, however, do the job - or rather they won’t do the job as I don’t expect boards to be fitted! I probably wouldn’t have bothered, but two of the kits had etched slots which I had neglected to fill otherwise. All four will now have clips fitted.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
I like the idea of a transfer bank. Other modelling forums do a similar thing, I’ve noticed. The IPMS also has an official library that members can donate spares to, and ask for things if needed. The problem is, how would it work on WT, and who would want to administer it?

Perhaps the easiest way would be for builders to say what is being built at the outset and ask if there are any 'spare' transfers available before they have to hit the panic button at the eleventh hour. Especially the case when a less popular prototype is on the workbench.

regards

Mike

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
53CAFF5B-D272-460A-9242-C0EBA5EC45C2.jpeg

It’s good to see these back on the bench again. All the board clips are on, and have an enamel undercoat applied. I’ll go over them with the livery cream tomorrow. Where I had "second" transfers, they’ve been applied. All the "guard", "luggage" and "first" transfers are done. The client has allowed me to choose the running numbers I like, so that’s the next job while I wait on extra "seconds" to arrive. There should be a garter crest, but none of the current transfers available are correct. The client has commissioned someone local to him to produce suitable artwork for the correct form, so I leave them off.

Once transfers are complete, a top coat of varnish to protect things, and then I’ll begin to think about glazing. Having made a rod for my own back by using microscope slide glass for previous builds, it may take a while to fit all the glass. Then I can get into painting and installing interiors.

I need to tone down the roof weathering a little. It might be an excuse to sort out setting up the paint shop downstairs.

adrian

Flying Squad
That is going to be one really nice rake of coaches when finished. :bowdown: Apologies if I've missed it but are you planning any interior lighting? With the extra width the interiors seem a little dark and dingy (probably prototypical) it'd be a shame to add all the interior detail and not see it properly.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
17640BB2-90B6-4969-9C93-E15E42670BD7.jpeg

We're off! I’ve got a small pair of flat smooth jaw pliers, with the jaws covered in masking tape. I use them to gently squeeze the handles to shape once they’re in place. I’m using a thick cyano on the pegs at the rear. The plan is to trim the pegs back a fair bit before I begin glazing operations.

With the ICC World Cup England vs New Zealand match TMS commentary burbling away in the background, the job isn’t so much of a chore.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The trouble with coach-building.....door & grab handles. And sometimes glazing if it hasn't been planned for during construction. Those door louvers look very effective.

paulc

Western Thunderer
View attachment 107833

There were spares, or they’ve been breeding.

All the coaches have door furniture. I’ve also replaced the odd hinge that had come adrift since all those years ago when I soldered them in originally. Next, some glazing.
A bit like coat hangers in the wardrobe Heather .
Nice job on the coaches .
Cheers Paul

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
A bit like coat hangers in the wardrobe Heather .

Very true. It’s one of those odd universal laws, isn’t it.

B1190D42-FEA7-4F96-88D1-C23062D0DAF7.jpeg

I’ve been dreading this bit. I’m using microscope slide glass for the glazing. Fitting each pane can be a bit tedious, but happily my wastage rate has been low so far. Canopy glue (PVA) dots hold panes in place. I made a bit of a rod for my own back with the longer coaches, as I used bent strip to make the door hinges. I’m having to careful grind away some of the fixing point inside the bodywork to allow the glass to slip in and sit flush.

03885861-467C-4DDA-83D8-4D394D22080D.jpeg

This sort of reflection, though, makes all the effort worthwhile.

Well, that’s one coach glazed. Three more to go.

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Hi Heather,

I have just caught up on this thread some great modelling!

Being a bit late to the party, it's a bit late for this build, but may be useful if you have to do some more beading in black, I also struggled to paint the beading, but in 4mm and I eventually hit on the idea of using a fine point black laundry marker, with great results. Sorry, but no picture at the moment as I am visiting my parents.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Absolutely brilliant Heather - you are so talented!

:oops:

Superb coaches Heather :thumbs:

Thanks Col!

I eventually hit on the idea of using a fine point black laundry marker

Phil, that’s a splendid idea. I shall investigate. I think my client intends to add two luggage vans to this ensemble, so it might prove useful. Other coach builds with fancy liveries in the queue are likely to head to professional painters.

paulc

Western Thunderer
If you go down the marker route for black lining which works really well , then check on a bit of scrap as to the type of clear that you spray over as some will dissolve the ink . I managed to recover the salt van that it happened on where I was blackening the strapping but it could have been a disaster .