On Michael's Workbench - Air Loco

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Thanks for all the likes and kind comments, Rob, My stock of materials is because I am basically a pack rat and save all my offcuts and have been doing that for nigh on 50 years.

Hi Michael,
I thought that would be the case, sadly I am quite late to the party. I have only been gathering stack for about 15 years and most of that is more suited to hand tools rather than machine tools which are even later to the party as I have only had a lathe for about 4 years and to be honest the first 3 of those I did very little with it.

michael mott

Western Thunderer
I have only had a lathe for about 4 years and to be honest the first 3 of those I did very little with it.
Hi Rob I don't know if you have any collets for your lathe but if you get a chance to use them a C5 chuck and collets are a real boon for being able to use for multiple re centering especially since they will allow you to do multiple tasks over time on the same piece. being able to turn a piece end for end in the lathe and have it run true and concentric is an important capability, of course one can do this with a 4 jaw chuck but it takes a lot more time and one needs to either set up a good wiggle stick or have a dial indicator every time. there are also collets for hex stock and square stock. then a collet block is handy for switching stuff from the lathe to the mill........Oh it is endless, welcome to my world.

Michael

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob I don't know if you have any collets for your lathe but if you get a chance to use them a C5 chuck and collets are a real boon for being able to use for multiple re centering especially since they will allow you to do multiple tasks over time on the same piece. being able to turn a piece end for end in the lathe and have it run true and concentric is an important capability, of course one can do this with a 4 jaw chuck but it takes a lot more time and one needs to either set up a good wiggle stick or have a dial indicator every time. there are also collets for hex stock and square stock. then a collet block is handy for switching stuff from the lathe to the mill........Oh it is endless, welcome to my world.

Michael
Hi Michael,

I may have been a slow starter, but I am catching up. I have a set of ER25 collets (1-16mm) with chucks for both lathe and mill plus square and hex collet blocks.

I did have a collet chuck for the Unimat which I let go with the lathe, but I hung onto the collets.
Having used them I wouldn't be without them especially for the smaller modelling stuff.