7mm One from the Atlas works - Peckett X2

Dave

Western Thunderer
The Sentinel build is on hold at the moment as I am awaiting the milled parts, so here we have another one to keep me amused for a couple of weeks.

Peckett X2 class 0-6-0ST. This is the largest loco I have built to date and although it's far too big for Bury, Thorn & Sons I just wanted one so there! :p

5809989992_7c17a8b409.jpg
Ackton Hall No.3 is the only survivor of the class and the pic above shows her in 1972

GVBs-009.jpg
And how she was last week at the National Coalmining Museum, just a few miles away from my home.

So...

Onto the model. I'm not building an actual replica of Ackton Hall No.3 as that lining is way too difficult for me so it'll be another, unidentified, X2.

Here's the kit.
X2-001.jpg
I made a start yesterday so I'll post some more laterz. :)

Simon

Flying Squad
Can't beat a Peckett:thumbs:

I'm a bit disappointed though, when I saw the thread title I thought we were getting a pair of Bristols:p

I look forward to seeing this develop.

Simon

(Still on track building fatigues)

Dave

Western Thunderer
Sorry to disappoint you, Simon. :D

Here we go then...

The kit as it comes doesn't have any springing or compensation built in so I've made it up as I've gone along. I've seen other people's locos, on forumseses and at shows, that have beam compensation but as this is only my second build of something with more than four wheels I've never had the need for it - until now.

The last but one loco that I built was a Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST and for that I sprung the centre axle, leaving the others rigid, but for this one I decided to have a go at having all wheels compensated.

The worry I have when doing anything like this is that I'll screw the wheelbase up and then the rods won't fit or will bind. How do I make these beams with the centres exactly the same as those in the frame plates? That's what I was thinking since I bought the kit last week...

My cunning plan involved turning the gadget on the left, which slots into the bearings.
X2-002.jpg

With the bit of sheet brass that I want to turn into a beam, and a frame plate, with bearings fitted (but not soldered) into the holes, I clamped the whole lot together and put the gadet in place to drill the pilot holes in the right places.
X2-003.jpg

The holes were then opened out to accept the bearings.
X2-004.jpg

With the bearings soldered into the sheet the shape was cut out.
X2-005.jpg

With a couple of pieces of brass bar drilled and soldered on to act as bearings the beams were installed after opening out the holes in the frames to allow for about 1mm of up/down movement either way.
X2-006.jpg

Maybe my cunning plan isn't all that cunning and my gadget isn't revolutionary but I've never seen anyone tell exactly how to make the holes in such things line up so I had to work it out for myself and it works, so that's all that matters. :thumbs:

STOP PRESS!

X2-007.jpg
After tea today I laminated the rods, fettled and fitted them. The chassis rolls quite freely so my gadget did work. :)

daifly

Western Thunderer
After tea today I laminated the rods, fettled and fitted them. The chassis rolls quite freely so my gadget did work.
I see from the photo that the etched coupling rods are solid on the fret. Did you articulate them on the centre crankpin to allow the beam to do its stuff? Can't tell from the last pic.

Dave

Western Thunderer
They are made from 3 laminations so I cut them so that the second and third overlap and elongated the centre holes.

Dave

Western Thunderer
Has anyone noticed the mistake in the rods? I have been thinking that there's something wrong but now I realise what it is. If you look here - http://www.modelrailways.tv/uploads/8/5/2/3/8523381/2453849_orig.jpg?362
you'll notice that the sticking up bits that hold the brasses in (what are they called?) are at the front, so it would appear that I've got the rods on mine the wrong way round.

BUT... the spacing of the axles means that they can only be fitted one way round, or can they? Have I cocked up making the rods, or are the rods etched wrong? :rolleyes:

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Has anyone noticed the mistake in the rods? I have been thinking that there's something wrong but now I realise what it is. If you look here - http://www.modelrailways.tv/uploads/8/5/2/3/8523381/2453849_orig.jpg?362
you'll notice that the sticking up bits that hold the brasses in (what are they called?) are at the front, so it would appear that I've got the rods on mine the wrong way round.

BUT... the spacing of the axles means that they can only be fitted one way round, or can they? Have I cocked up making the rods, or are the rods etched wrong? :rolleyes:

Dave,

It looks to me that they're wrong - isn't the knuckle in the rod on the wrong side of the crankpin too? There is a way around this problem, but it's a pain to do (you'd have to cut every rod lamination into two sections and re-assemble them). So I'd suggest living with it if you can.

I really enjoy watching your builds, every one of them has got me wondering about building a model of Littleton No5, (a massive Manning Wardle) a loco I sort of grew up with at the GCR and which is now down here at the Avon Valley Railway...

Steph

Dave

Western Thunderer
Yes, Steph, you're right about the knuckle thing. If it was just the little bits I could cut them off and make some up but, as you say, it's a lot of work to correct this problem so I'll leave it and hope no one notices :D

I suppose I could get a set of milled rods made up sometime.

No pics (I've left the camera in my van) today but having little work today has meant a lot of modelling time and I've built up the cab and most of the boiler and tank. I have to say that the smokebox door that's provided with the kit looks nothing like a Peckett smokebox door. :rant: Needless to say that I'm not using it. I've sent Adrian (ABS) a PM to ask if he can provide one from his Peckett kit so we'll see what the outcome of that is.

Alternatively I could make one up as a flat home-brewed replacement. This would be absolutely prototypical as pictures of Manvers Main No.44, another X2, show exactly this feature.
Manvers44.jpg
Please note that this photo is not my copyright. I bought the print a long time ago and it has no name or any details on the back so if it's yours and you object to it being used here then I'll happily remove it.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
And how she was last week at the National Coalmining Museum, just a few miles away from my home.

That shows just how unobservant one can be. I use to do quite a lot of work at the mining museum (although I haven't been for 3 or 4 years now) but I never noticed any tank locos, only the below ground stuff when I was there.:(

Dave

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob,

I'm not sure how long it's been there but it may have been less than 4 years, which may explain why you've never seen it. It's in a closed off compound at the Hope Pit end and isn't accessible to visitors, which explains my rubbish photo - it was taken from the roadside.

Progress...

X2-008.jpg
I've built up the cab and the backhead. Before I fix the backhead in place I'll paint it and add the various pipes and make up some firehole door levers.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Thanks Dave, that would explain it. I was always at the main building in the conference centre areas.

Nicely detailed cab area:thumbs:

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Hi Dave,

As always i'm quietly watching from the wings and I have to say a little fire has ignitied for Industrial Steam thanks to yourself in the main with the lovely models and lovely prototype pictures. As such today we've had a 'family' day out at the NCM in search of the above X2. We had a fantastic time even though it was cold and Dad got some pictures of the family, but also sneaked some for himself:thumbs: . I initially couldn't find the X2 and was quite disapointed. However in the end I did but behind a huge spikey fence :headbang:which meant I had to zoom a long way,anyway apologies in advance for the mini hijack but here's what I snapped;

Copy of 2013_0317NCM1703130031.JPG

Copy of 2013_0317NCM1703130033.JPG

Copy of 2013_0317NCM1703130026.JPG

Copy of 2013_0317NCM1703130027.JPG

Copy of 2013_0317NCM1703130024.JPG
The X2 now looks in a terrible state which is a real shame but these other two brutes look a little better

ATB Mick

Dave

Western Thunderer
No worries about thread hijack as long as it's about industrial locos. :thumbs: I've never noticed that other loco before and I go there every year as I'm involved with the group that organise the classic Land Rover show there.