One Of Those Mornings..........

michael080

Western Thunderer
Scary! That shows how much craftmaship the professional drivers in the past had. Driving a steam engine every other week won't give you the experience needed to handle such a situation.
I remember a trip with 01 1066 on the "Schwarzwaldbahn" that failed to pull a 6 coaches train over a 1:50 grade. A Class 64 had to push it up. I heard its driver saying "We'd pushed the train up if there wouldn't have been this heavy lump of steel in front". :)

Michael

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
.....so was the banker breaking traction as well ?
I have no idea, but I got the impression from the video that he wasn't doing much at the back, maybe taking his own weight..

He may have been asked not to push as the lead engine wanted to make all the noise, but we'll never know.

JB.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Scary! That shows how much craftmaship the professional drivers in the past had. Driving a steam engine every other week won't give you the experience needed to handle such a situation.
I remember a trip with 01 1066 on the "Schwarzwaldbahn" that failed to pull a 6 coaches train over a 1:50 grade. A Class 64 had to push it up. I heard its driver saying "We'd pushed the train up if there wouldn't have been this heavy lump of steel in front". :)

Michael
I believe it's 1:37 up to Exeter St Davids, and for a Std4 to pull an excursion train up that (as good an engine as they are), unless both locos were working hard they were never going to make it without some sparks.

Looking at the way the lead engine is oscillating before it stalls, I do get the impression that the back engine wasn't doing much, but I wasn't there.

JB.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer

Also back in the day the drivers would have had intimate route knowledge and known where and when to apply extra power, speed, etc to get over grades.

On a general note I wonder how much route knowledge is provided to steam loco drivers today for mainline steam operation. Is there an additional crew member or pilot on the footplate who knows the route to provide advice?

Having seen these clips one thing which has crossed my mind is whether the mainline steam operators have insurance to cover track damage and any delay payouts if they cause delays for passengers on regular timetabled trains. Or in the latter case are the steam specials held in loops until a path becomes available?

Maybe it was this gezzer who knocked it over

Just goes to show there are numpties worldwide who are completely oblivious of their surroundings and inconsiderate of others :rolleyes:.

Then there are those poncing around with an air of superiority because they are wearing dayglo orange vests :D:):p (one of my photos taken on the GCR). It's quite entertaining watching peoples behaviour at these type of events. :D
Neanderthalus Linesidus.jpg

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
If it helps, all mainline steam drivers are full time drivers for insurance purposes. Some know the routes they drive but others have pilotmen.

I’m pretty sure the railway operating company will be hit with fines if they cause delays, and certainly will be held back to allow real trains to pass.

JB.