Oz7mm's occasional meanderings - 5" Gauge Met Bo-Bo

Oz7mm

Western Thunderer
Brian - I think the added attraction was the train of 6 40 or 50 year old Dreadnought coaches in tow.

For me the saddest thing was that the H Class 4-4-4 tanks didn't survive into my lifetime. Seeing the changeover from a Growler to an H at Rickmansworth would have been a great.

On the other hand I'm glad I'm not so old that I could have seen that.

John

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Just for my own amusement I put a few handrails on this afternoon. They break up the sides rather well.

Everything transforms when you start adding details.... I presume you have the decals and nameplates.

I love those locos, Oz. Trainspotting at Northwick Park we'd call them "honorary steam engines". :)

Designed for a purpose which they carried out for 40 years - probably un-noticed by many.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Oh yes, John! I remember those Dreadnoughts as actually being quite comfortable (but probably not as comfy as the Pullmans) but there was a notable lack of toilet facilities. The loss of the original Met steam locos to the LNER which, of course made them non standard lead to their early demise. However there are recorded incidents of the Met 0-4-4Ts taking over trains at Rickmansworth. Ricky remains a lovely station as do those North although the loco sidings are not surprisingly long gone.

Brian

Oz7mm

Western Thunderer
Everything transforms when you start adding details.... I presume you have the decals and nameplates.
I have LT nameplates for Sherlock Holmes which is the intention. The estimable Met expert Ken de Groome also gave me a set of Met style plates for Sir Ralph Verney.

Decals are an issue. Though they are advertised as such, Fox's LT decals are far too big. In fact they are the same size as those advertised for the 7 1/4" gauge model. They have told me that it is on the 2024 to do list and I should probably give them a call to see if they have become reality.

I don't know where I might get the numbers though. Can anyone help?

John

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Here's how Fox printed my 7mm scale decals. This is one set and I had ten of each to make up my order.

LT 1.jpg

The lettering in the green boxes are for buses.
White: Goods rolling stock. (PH. = Power House wagon; HW. = Hopper Wagon; BW. = Ballast Wagon; SL. = Slurry wagon and A. = Ash wagon)
Yellow: Locomotives. The 2/ and 53 etc outlined in blue allow the combinations of overhaul dates to be added to the noses of the Bo-Bo. Usually it appeared on both A and D ends except for the one I modelled No. 3 Sir Ralph Verney where it appeared on the A end only - I had to check a number of photos.

Depending how far you go with the details there are subtle differences in the cable connections between the A and D ends.

A end
Met 118.jpg

D end
Met 119.jpg

Oz7mm

Western Thunderer
And that is the colour I'm trying to capture. You gave us a recipe for your 7mm Bo-Bo but mixing enough for this might be more difficult. I'd like to capture the loco in this form. It's one I have been using as a reference.

Which reminds me - brake hoses

John

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
John,
I have a feeling that although you say that is the colour your looking for it might not be achievable without weathering. If you had the same can of paint that the loco in this picture was painted with, your model would look different without the patina :)

Col.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Just to confuse matters here's one of mine at Baker Street in 1961. To my mind it has a more maroon look to the paintwork, so using a single reference to guide your colour choice may need reconsideration. As we've said on these pages many times before the colour will depend on the film stock and lighting conditions at the time. Your reference looks distinctly more brown than I remember.

5.  Baker Street Station.  Personal Collection.  10 September 1961.  Final.  2400 dpi.  Photo ...jpg

Of course, there's always the loco in the LT Museum as a reference.

Ken de Groome has always been very helpful in detailing colours. I have a feeling that the base colour for any locos he's done is ox blood - in fact Cherry Paints of some time memory made a London Transport Maroon which looked good to me.

Brian

Last edited: