4mm P4 Jubilee challenge layout Menyon goods

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
As part of the scale four jubilee layout challenge I have decided to model Menyon (Minions) on the Liskeard and Caradon line above Moorswater.
I have ordered etched for the 3 locos that worked the branch which will hopefully arrive in the next few months.
In the meantime I'm planning out how I'm going to lay the track. The track was bullhead on two bolt chairs screwed into granite blocks. I'm not sure if points were the same or that was just running rail. Hopefully someone will know. Also not 100% sure the size of the blocks. Anyone?
Screenshot_20240819-165640.png
This one of the points
Marc

Last edited:
As part of the scale four jubilee layout challenge I have decided to model Menyon (Minions) on the Liskeard and Caradon line above Moorswater.
I have ordered etched for the 3 locos that worked the branch which will hopefully arrive in the next few months.
In the meantime I'm planning out how I'm going to lay the track. The track was bullhead on two bolt chairs screwed into granite blocks. I'm not sure if points were the same or that was just running rail. Hopefully someone will know. Also not 100% sure the size of the blocks. Anyone?
View attachment 221941
This one of the points
Marc
Marc, you might find Caradon & Looe, The Canal, Railway and Mines by Michael Messenger published by Twelveheads Press to be of help. Unfortunately Twelveheads Press are no longer in business, but you might find a 2nd hand copy on the usual sites.
Malcolm

Bob Essex

That pointwork looks ‘interesting’. It seems to suggest that it was nothing like what would be seen as normal, the ‘blades’ pivoting/sliding about to align with either road. Hm.

Bob

Rob R

Western Thunderer
Plenty more pictures here:-
Blocks Galore
I have tripped over a few sleeper blocks in my time but unfortunately I haven't had a tape measure to hand.
You should be able to get a good approximation from the photos linked above, it doesn't look to be an exact science.

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Hi MArc

That point in your photo has been taken out of use and plain track laid on the diverging route.

I would be very surprised if the S&C work was not laid on timbers. It is only fairly recent that you see S&C work on concrete sleepers.

Richard