Painting and lining

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
That is some stunning work you have done there, have you any tips concerning spraying in these colder months and what sort of spray booth do you use. You make the lining look so simple, hopefully it will give me the confidence to give it a go in the future.

All the best,

Martyn.

warren haywood

Western Thunderer
Martyn, Ive been painting professionaly for about 8 years now, prior to that i used to spray outside but with the weather here that was no good. I had my loft converted into a workshop and the painting is done against the back wall which has a large extraction fan to the outside. In the winter (and sometimes summer;)) i let the room warm ip for an hour or so
Regarding temperatures i would guess at a minimum of around 15-20 c. Colder than that, the air holds more moisture which condenses onto the model which causes blooming and inconsistant finishes. The model and paint should also be up to a reasonable temperature. Im not sure about the science of it all but experience has taught me this.

Hope this makes sense
Warren

warren haywood

Western Thunderer
Lining applied to crab and jubilee both look a little messy at this stage, a combination of overexposed photo and closeups, they are'nt too bad to the naked eye.

The black on the jublilee will be tidied up once it has dried with a cocktail stick and thinners.

The crab will need the smudges removed tomorrow witha cotton bud and the corners tweaked with the cocktail stick.
Then its on with the other side. When lining mixed trafic locos always start with the cream line, once its dry the red and an overlapping grey line can be added.

006.JPG

007.JPG

Warren

warren haywood

Western Thunderer
I have been comissioned to finish another Truro in pre 1906/preserved livery. Made a start a couple of days ago so thought i would show progress. First job was to respray the loco in celly deep bronze green and the frames in something resembling indian red. This is a mix of oxide and brown and looks close to the colour of the preserved loco.
I then lined the rear of the Tender and today made a start on the tender sides. The total width of the lining is 1.75mm, the close ups are not to kind:(. Hand painting all those corners really takes its toll, bit of easy listening music helps (went for Disintegration by The Cure) and made sure the wife was out:). Tomorrow i will do the coal plate and cab front.

019.JPG

020.JPG

021.JPG

022.JPG

Warren

AdamF

Western Thunderer
Amazing work - even more so when I think about what lies in store in that I have a pre-1906 livery to apply to my 517!

warren haywood

Western Thunderer
Frames lined out and black line added to tender sides. I have also lined the cab front and sides plus 3 panels on other side of the tender. Still need to line buffer beams in orange and black and paint the beading black. The livery is really coming together now. Its amazing how the black line seams to brighten up the orange lines. The orange is actually humbrol no9 gloss tan with a tiny drop of red added.

001.JPG

Warren

warren haywood

Western Thunderer
Rob and everyone else, thank you. Your comments are appreciated.
Today I have got a little bit more done including orange lines on cab and loco frames. The camera is really cruell, to the naked eye it looks pretty much spot on but enlarged by the camera well!!:confused:

003.JPG
Warren

warren haywood

Western Thunderer
Got a few more bits done after my snowed off fishing holiday:(

These came to me as a a rake of 5 early Bachmann brass in need of a good clean and then a coat of paint chucking on, both the blue and grey are cellulose which I had mixed by memory. They look about right I think:D

012.JPG

This 2P is in Midland livery and is a paint only commission, still waiting for plates and a tender full of coal to complete

007.JPG

Finished 7 of these in 'O' and 5 in G1, again all in celly.

008.JPG

Warren