'Pantone' reference numbers

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi all,

does anybody have the Pantone reference numbers as opposed to BS reference numbers for BR paint colours? I am particularly seeking the number for the yellow/gold used for the running numbers and 'signage' (Restaurant car) on Mk1 coaches.

cheers

Mike

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Sorry mate miss read the header I thought it said pantomime numbers and thought it was for fun going back to sleep now

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Now, having been in the print trade I do have a set of Pantone swatches. I'll see if I can oblige a bit later.

I know you said BR colours, but any specific colours? We can start from Brunswick Green and up if you like!

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Heather,

It's a bit more specific than 'Brunswick Green' - I'm afraid. It's the yellow/gold for the sign writing/running numbers used on the maroon and chocolate/cream liveried coaches.

I am attempting my own transfers (laser printing onto Crafty Computer Paper decal sheets) and there is an option on Microsoft Paint to use the Pantone range, as the colour options on the other 'palettes' are somewhat limited.

cheers

Mike

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Ah, okay. It's effectively the cream you're after. I don't think the "old gold" survived the 1956 livery revisions. Specifying a gold in Pantone would be hard, as it's a specific metallic ink, which really won't translate to home printing.

Give me a minute and I'll go and check out what the nearest cream reference would be.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Right, this is where it gets complicated.

If I was specifying the cream colour for a print job, it would be something like 15% or 20% tint of process yellow. That wouldn't be ideal for printing your own decals because you need a solid colour.

It took some while to locate suitable solid colours in the Pantone Matching System, but the nearest I could get to was 7499 or 7506. Most of the other yellows waver between lemon through to pink via green.

I hope that helps.

By the way, steam loco cab side numbers were the same colour, outlined in black. I can't verify this, but I believe the coach lettering and numbering had a thin black outline as well.

One more thing, don't forget the printer will make the colour up from the four inks, so the colour may be well off from what you expect. 7499 is the only colour that splits into the four colour print system (cyan magenta, yellow and black) the best.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Heather,

great information as usual, especially from my c++p information. I shall be going to a local 'digital print shop' for the printing as I do not run to a laser printer. I'm not sure what make/model they have, but it produced the EWS Inspection Saloon transfers ok.

The vehicle that I am intending the transfers to go onto is the 1962 Swindon built Diag 1/552 Inspection Saloon DB999509 (the Easybuild one) when running in the late 80's in Chocolate and Cream as the Area Civil Enginner's runabout based at Newport. It was originally outshopped in Blue/Grey and subsequently finished in a number of other liveries at least one of which was definitely 'non-standard'

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60854...8DE7y-7cjr6f-cWYC3S-7q65hM-e5yWs2-jpGuK-eJAq7

cheers

Mike

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
To be honest, I wouldn't worry about the fine black outline. Fox don't, and at 7mm scale it is all but invisible anyway.

I look forward to seeing the results. It might be worth asking the printers if they can make a solid based on the tint of process yellow. I'd certainly discuss options and see if they are happy using a Pantone solid reference with their system. Colour matching and colour calibration are a true minefield!

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Mike

Back in the early 90's I used to work for Regional Railways, their livery was specified in Pantone colours, I think most of the other sector liveries were too. That though was a relative new thing back then (at least for the railway) and I don't think that liveries before then were specified with Pantone colours. It maybe there are equivalents but I have never found anything other than the original BS paint numbers for earlier liveries.

Richard

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
I have seen references/charts somewhere that correlate the BS number with RAL and Pantone, but for the life of me I cannot remember where I have seen them.

I think that at the end of the day I may well take some photos to the print shop and ask if they can match the colours. or just follow the Rule 1 option and put a pin in the colour chart and hope that it goes in somewhere near yellow/gold/etc.

Thanks all for your input.

cheers

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Dave & Wizard,

many thanks for your links, I shall investigate later today, after an appointment with two Bachmann 121 chassis.

cheers

Mike