Passenger Brake Van C1860

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
My last post was 1st November 2021, it seems such an age away. Since then the under frame was stripped of all of the brake gear. I did some blacking of the brake gear together with the springs, W irons and some other bits and pieces. I think that my reasoning was something to do with the painting but, I can't for the life of me remember why :D:rolleyes:.
The under frame is now up on it's feet and tomorrow, if the garden doesn't beckon, I'll start fitting the brakes et al.
The 14 BA nuts that are holding the W irons in place have been blackened but the screws haven't. I also set a washer behind the nuts in case, when doing them up, they marked the paintwork. The later is a gloss finish with a top coat of matt varnish.

Jon

IMG_4772.JPG

mswjr

Western Thunderer
Lovely work again. A couple of ideas on roof building, I have seen modellers use a black and decker work mate bench , And between the workbench jaws they put in between them a ply wood sheet , The bench jaws are closed up on the wood to curve it, the wood being wet, and when dry is removed and stays curved. And on my gauge one wagons i use coffee stirrers , i have a middle support on the wagon to match the ends then cover it in coffee stirrer wood then trim them all when dry and cover it with fine cloth to look like canvas, You may be able to do similar with larger pieces of timber.

Mike W

Western Thunderer
Well, I never knew that LBSC vans were green. Was that just brake vans or all up to a date?

Mike

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Garry
If only I had read your post earlier. Yesterday, I was in the garden with a modellers saw bench ripping down thin sheets of sycamore to be used as flooring in a dollshouse. I ripped down all of my supply but could have held some back. Not sure how long coffee stirrers are but worth giving them a thought. I usually glue a sheet of thickish sketching paper onto my roofs and that gives them a bit of texture. I have used silk in the past as well. This roof was made of styrene with a sheet of paper glued on. The trouble with this is that as the paper dried, it shrank bowing the roof slightly. My previous roofs were made of aluminium sheet and as the paper dried, I didn't have the bowing problem with those.

Mike
Apparently, the early passenger brakes were painted green.

Jon

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
This is a piece of what I think is called, structural veneer, as it is quite thick by comparison to ordinary veneer. It has dried with a perfect curve or dish which is the same curvature of this carriage. The trouble is that it is about 4mm too narrow to be used as one piece. Which is a bit of a shame as it would have saved so much work. While on the subject of roofs. Does anyone know what the thickness was of the planks used? I have this idea in my head that they would have been about 1" thick.

Jon

IMG_5123.JPGIMG_5124.JPG

Stevesopwith

Western Thunderer
I hope the attached extract from a GA. of an ECR 2nd Class of 1860 will be useful.

More readable on the original, the roof planks are indeed 1" thick, but the sides and end edges are capped with beading strips which are around 2" deep. On the sides, the groove would function as a gutter, but I assume the beadings retained the edges of the canvas.

ECR Roof Details  1860.jpg

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Steve
That's very interesting, thank you. What is also very interesting is that there is that cross section through the side of the carriage wall. Is the drawing available from HMRS? If yes, could you please let me have the details?

Jon

Stevesopwith

Western Thunderer
The deawing is available from HMRS....No. 24685. There is also a very useful GA of the underframe for this vehicle.... No 24686.

In the meantime, I can scan the complete Half Transverse Section, plus a Longitudinal Section of half a compartment, if they would be of interest.

I could post them here, or send a PM, as you like.

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Steve
Just the complete Half Transverse Section would a nice thing to see. If you could send it PM, that would be great.

Many thanks
Jon