Scattergun Pay back time

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Some may be aware that for the past sixty-five years, there has been an on/off involvement with the Railways of Germany, originally thanks to family life as a camp follower in the British Army but the real interest began with Dad, his legacy and then continued with modelling in the ‘70s.

A fair amount of material has been accumulated, some discarded and other bits carefully curated. The Gang of Four’s * initiative to begin a Facebook group has been ongoing and is about to celebrate its first anniversary but the platform is not best suited to the dissemination of information and a blog seems a better idea. If the Sekundärbahn blog is an indicator, its 550,000 visitors for a rather eclectic subject, then a broader spectrum of information might be worthwhile. Unlike the Facebook group site with its indifferent search engine, posts on the blog tend do not disappear.

It is early days, a fair few years of archive material to be collated, edited and uploaded whilst ensuring access to everyone, no need to join etc. The concept may sound altruistic but when I pass the bar, everything will disappear and this is my rather clumsy attempt to leave something for others, the simple fact is that my interest is a niche within a niche, hopefully it will be of some use.

Please be patient, most of the hard work takes place whilst hooked up the NHS plumbing where, occasionally, I get some time to myself. It is a work in progress therefore rather hit and miss.

Here is the link:- Bayerische Nebenbahnen

*Just one left standing but for how much longer?

Tim

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Just updated the blog, nothing too pretentious with a limited number of subjects:-
  • research (bibliography)
  • locosheds
  • stations
  • steam locos
  • other branchline vehicles
  • backstory (history and basic standard trackplans)
Simple catch-all headings for Bavarian branchlines, though the lists of passenger and goods stock are not finished.

Any suggestions, please let me know

Tim

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
The BR98.3 was a 0-4-0WT of novel design, a tram engine complete with built-in steam condenser, but with controls and coal bunker arranged for one-man operation, a new idea back in 1906 when the first was built. Coal was delivered by the operation of a foot treadle to the gravity bunker.

Production continued in batches until 1927 and 48 were built. A couple were built forthe Royal Prusslan State Railways, too. The bunker took the form of a hopper and the driver controlled the feed of coal by gravity to the firebox. In DRG days and DB days, they were Class 98.3. These engines were widely used, examples are preserved, and the last of them was not taken out of service until October 1962, the Spalt branch being its final home. Some ‘Glaskasten’ locomotives were used in Austria, and in World War 2 one was taken to Norway for harbour shunting duties. The high bunker necessitated a distinctive two storey coaling stage on Bavarian branches. The ‘Glaskasten’ was mainly used on the short or local branch lines due to its rather limited coal capacity.

Tim