Overseer

Western Thunderer
Not sure what the blob was but it looks like it was timber, so the rotted away idea would fit. Looks an awkward lump whatever it was.
I think it was architecture. Called an open-bed or broken-base pediment, used to emphasise a gable when a full pediment would be too much. Looks like the details were removed when they decayed rather than being repaired.

warepump.jpg
This is an example of a pumping station in Ware, photo from 'Brick Building in Britain' by RW Brunskill.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
I think it was architecture. Called an open-bed or broken-base pediment, used to emphasise a gable when a full pediment would be too much. Looks like the details were removed when they decayed rather than being repaired.

View attachment 181446
This is an example of a pumping station in Ware, photo from 'Brick Building in Britain' by RW Brunskill.
Think you're on to something there.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Interesting (to me at least) thing that the photo shows is the relative heights of the chimney stacks. I had assumed that they would all be the same height above the roof ridgeline.

rps20230301_064747.jpg

Those nearest and furthest away from the camera seem to be about ½ the height of the central two.

More real-life oddities!

simond

Western Thunderer
Been trawling for more bits of building in the background of photos. Not many cameras were pointed in their general direction. Oh for a time machine.

Got two more extracts:

View attachment 181444
I am wondering if the roof tiles on the original section of the building (the middle 3 houses) are bigger than those on the newer left hand shop? Certainly different ridge tiles. The more you look, the more you see.

View attachment 181445
The next is a tiny extract of a photo showing the yard cleared and the shed demolished. The useful thing is that, being a distant shot, there's not much distortion to the verticals and horizontals. The photo does confirm that the left-most dormer window seems narrower but taller than the other two . I'm guessing the date is early 70s? The middle house has been rendered and had some ground floor extensions (plus a horrible 1st floor window).
This suggests the two right hand chimney stacks are pretty even in height, but possibly the middle left is higher. Variable ridge line doesn’t help.

Rob R

Western Thunderer
I suspect that they are pretty much all the same height in relation to their own bit of ridge.
Clipboard01.jpg
Image cropped from Britain From Above EPW039812 of 1932
Clipboard04.jpg
Image cropped from Britain From Above EPW033049

Last edited:

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
I've been tackling the building cladding and the tricky window openings by doing a bit most mornings before work.

Lots of offering up and subtle adjustment cuts and the final section is cut.

IMG_20230303_073341_1.jpg

And then fitted...

IMG_20230303_074213.jpg

There's going to be bits of filler and making good required in a few areas but on the whole I'm pleased. Maximising the embossed plasticard sheet has meant that the end gables have automatically been cut.

Just pondering which bit to do next...

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
I suspect that they are pretty much all the same height in relation to their own bit of ridge.
View attachment 181661
Image cropped from Britain From Above EPW039812 of 1932
View attachment 181664
Image cropped from Britain From Above EPW033049

You've had me paying more attention to the chimney stack heights and stupidly I realised that I had just the photo to try and answer this question. The stacks are all different depths as they cater for different numbers of pots and this can change perception of height from various perspectives.

So out with the crayons. I've taken the three roof ridges as the datums (orange) and have projected them upwards (blue).

Capture3.JPG

Having done this it would appear that the left two stacks are about the same height above the ridge line but that the right two are lower and roughly the same top height as the second from the left.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Using a grab from GoogleEarth, it looks to me like the shorter stacks should be 9 or 10 bricks above the ridgeline.

Capture4.JPG

Edit: The view from the other side confirms 10.

Last edited:

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
For some bizarre reason I've been awake since 2am. Finally gave up trying to sleep at 5am and started doing a spot of modelling.

Started by making out the sides of the larger rear extension. Then remembered to cut the openings out of the brick sheet first, aligning the cuts with sensible mortar courses.
IMG_20230304_071107.jpg

Cutting done.

IMG_20230304_072356.jpg

Then fixed the brick overlay on to the plasticard sheet and cut the openings out.

IMG_20230304_074747.jpg

Will be good to get a bit of 3d-ness on this section...

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Back from Kettering G0G event, not much bought. Decided to restrain myself and focus on completing some of the projects that are part complete. The book, tree and wagon I did get have been confiscated for my birthday in a few weeks. Other items were essentially restocking the plasticard and solvent stash. Shocked that SEF embossed plasticard sheets are now £5!

Anyway, got back early enough (thanks Mark) to do some more on the building. The large extension is now taking shape.

IMG_20230304_184334_1.jpg

IMG_20230304_184340.jpg

What I'm pondering is how exactly to build this section and retain sufficient access to allow fitting the windows after the structure has been painted.

Mark F

Western Thunderer
Good to see you today and nice to have a quick look at this latest building project this morning too. It's funny, I'm so used to seeing and thinking in 4mm the size of these buildings doesn't come across in photos - very impressive.
Pleased that I managed to avoid the temptation to buy any 7mm wagons today.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Good to see you today and nice to have a quick look at this latest building project this morning too. It's funny, I'm so used to seeing and thinking in 4mm the size of these buildings doesn't come across in photos - very impressive.
Pleased that I managed to avoid the temptation to buy any 7mm wagons today.

You did well but I could see you weakening