Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Even in all white, it's a very impressive building with lots of intriguing geometry, nooks and crannies. Are the enclosed areas between the back extensions back yards?
Dave.

Yes they are Dave. Going to be paved over and it might be washing day. Each of the back yards is only 12' x 10' and will also contain a few steps down to the gate to the rear alley. The alleyway is definitely going to have some young urchins in spotting trains over the wall.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
It's also now showing the issue I'm going to have with painting and finishing... A lack of access, particularly in these backyard areas.

IMG_20230311_144028_1.jpg

Going to be tricky getting a paint brush in there.

Apologies if this this grandmother and eggs territory :).

As a suggestion my approach would be to treat each part as a sub-assembly. It's something I've found out when making buildings and not being afraid to paint and detail the sub-assemblies as you go along rather wait until the end - a slight bit of variation does no harm if painted at different stages especially if you use the same palette of colours

1. Remove the red outlined wall, detail both sides and paint. Also gives a greater access to install and paint doors, windows, walls, etc.
2. Install windows, doors etc. then paint.
3. Install a sub-base (blue outline) for strength, install the yard floor, detail, then paint.
4. Finally install the yard wall and blend in.

rpyvo7vy.jpg

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Now then boys and girls. Render.

There, I've said it. Render.

And again.

I'm trying to decide if talc on wet paint will be sufficient in 7mm or should I be contemplating something like fine grade wet and dry.

Thoughts on a postcard please.

rps20230226_082057.jpg

rps20230226_082220.jpg

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Apologies if this this grandmother and eggs territory :).

As a suggestion my approach would be to treat each part as a sub-assembly. It's something I've found out when making buildings and not being afraid to paint and detail the sub-assemblies as you go along rather wait until the end - a slight bit of variation does no harm if painted at different stages especially if you use the same palette of colours

1. Remove the red outlined wall, detail both sides and paint. Also gives a greater access to install and paint doors, windows, walls, etc.
2. Install windows, doors etc. then paint.
3. Install a sub-base (blue outline) for strength, install the yard floor, detail, then paint.
4. Finally install the yard wall and blend in.

View attachment 182423

Always good to get ideas Dave, makes you think and and consider wider methods / ideas.

As you can probably tell, I'm making it up as I go along at the moment as this is possibly the largest and most complex building I've tackled. The grain store, whilst time consuming to build, was comparatively easy to construct and there were no access issues when painting. It also has very few windows and you can't really see in side.

These buildings by contrast have no end of windows and you will be able to see inside. As a result I do want to do some basic interior detailing. That's really got to happen after the exterior has been painted and the windows and doors fitted. Hence I need to maintain a way inside to fit the interiors.

As you suggest I am currently keeping the rear sections separate from the main block. This gives the way in to the upper storeys. I was going to provide access by making the roofs separate, but all be one run into each other so that's a bit complicated!

My current thoughts are:
- build the shells, detail and finish
- prime and paint
- make, paint and fit doors and windows
- detail and fit interiors
- join all the rear extensions and walls as a long unit, including alleyway
- fit rear yards and detail

You'll note I'm fitting the windows and doors after the buildings have been painted. I've found this makes it easier not to get the wall paint on the windows and a crisp line between the colours.

There's also the two end sections to consider and the roofs but that's another story...

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Test pieces required.
Wet and dry may be too uniform but talc/grit onto wet paint may be too random.

I think you're right. Another method is to sand the plasticard sheet with a coarse sandpaper and give it a bit of grief. Still mulling over options...

simond

Western Thunderer
Having thought about this in the morning I've gone and ordered some neodymium magnets. Always hard to see from the info provided how sticky or strong they will be. And hard to know how strong you need them to be. We'll see...
Which ones did you get, Chris?

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Doesn't look like much has happened today but this is where I'm up to. Got a week worth of pre-work mornings to add the coursing to all the window openings. A nice quiet task for when the eyes are good.

Now off to cook Sunday lunch, lamb today. Lovely.

IMG_20230312_155849.jpg

IMG_20230312_155855_1.jpg

IMG_20230312_155906.jpg
The roof on the smaller main extension is a separate unit for now.