7mm Pesky Plates On Lner 8-wheel Tenders

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I have written elsewhere that I am trying to finish the A4 for my son... and I have been trying to get to grips with what needs to be done to complete the tender.... and some of the items on the list seem to require paracetemol :headbang:. One item which is causing a headache is the collection of cast plates which decorated the front of the 8 wheel tenders... or not as the case may be.

I started off on this quest about 12 months back and I was advised then, by "those in the know", that the photos in Yeadon Appendix 2 (Tender Re-Numbering) would provide all the information that I would need. So a rummage through the Yeadon tome for the A4 and the appendix for the Tenders produced a tally of just three plates, being:-

[1] tender number;
[2] water tank capacity (5000 gallons);
[3] water scoop handle (to identify which handle / column controls the scoop mechanism).

Well, this situation must have been true once because all of the photos show the same collection of plates. I approached Severn Mill Nameplates to see if plates [2] and [3] could be supplied.... unfortunately not (although the tender numberplate is included in the nameplate sets for the A4s). Humm, need to think about alternative etching arrangements. So an e-mail to that most helpful of WT members, Jonpaul (LNERJP), with a request for photos and dimensions of the required plates as fitted to Sir Nigel Gresley. What came back was not was expected!

The first hiccup in the story came when Jonpaul provided a photo of the tender of Sir Nigel Gresley and there are a set of plates which the Yeadon photos show as painted letttering. These (unexepcted) plates provide indications of the water level in the tender tank, for example, "4000" for 4000 gallons. The second hiccup came when Jonpaul advised that the water capacity plate had been removed so that various "equipment boxes", required for main-line running, could be fitted to the front face of the tender. So to add to the above set of plates we have:-

[4] water level.

Jonpaul has provided good photos and dimensions of plates [3] and [4]... I am stuck on a decent photo and dimensions for plate [2]. I started a thread on the LNER Forum asking about the water capacity plate (plate [2]), see:-

http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7441 .

A response to my question there has thrown a real wobbly in that the post included a picture of the tender front of Mallard and there are a full set of water level plates.... looks like Yeadon photos are either (a) as built with plates added at a later date or (b) photos of lots which were not built with plates. At the moment I am prepared to go with option (a) although that opinion awaits someone offering an alternative view. Further, the photo on the LNER Forum reveals more lettering which is not visible in any of the Yeadon photos as either a cast plate or painted lettering. I cannot make out all of the lettering... some words seem to be relating to the operation of the water scoop. For now, whatever this is, I shall describe simply as plate [5]!

And to the purpose of this missive.... I shall be very pleased to receive any help from WT members which can assist with the following:-

* the dimensions of the water capacity plate - the one which reads 5000 gallons;
* the wording of the plate on Mallard's tender, underneath the hooks for the smokebox door handle;
* a broadside photo of the mystery plate and the dimensions of said plate.

I think that Mallard is at York at the moment... as for Bittern and Union of South Africa, I have no idea as to where those engines are based at this time.

regards and thanks, Graham

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I think the first problem is going to be which tender do you wish to model, as far as I can recall there's three types of tender and they were shuffled around a bit, one batch going to A2's and A3's and then back to A4's, it may be that different batches have different markings and markings may well have changed over the years on tenders within the same batch.

If my new polarizing filters turn up I may be up to York this week, I'll see what I can accomplish if I go.

Kindest

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Thank you for replying.

Yeadon has photos of the tender fronts of most, if not all, of the different types of Gresley 8-wheel tenders fitted to the A1/A3/A4 classes (probably in as-built condition)... and the photos are consistent in what is shown (plates [1], [2] and [3]) and what is not shown (plate [4] - leaving plate [5] aside for now).

regards, Graham

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Thinking on this a bit more, I was referring to the locations of the preserved A4s - there is of course that pesky A3 lurking up north somewhere and that had two 8-wheel tenders at one time.

regards, Graham

mickoo

Western Thunderer
UoSA is usually at SVR but currently at Crewe almost finished overhaul, light steam test yesterday.
SNG is back at NYM after NRM railfest
Bittern, no idea, it gets around so much its hard to keep track of LOL.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Graham, you were looking for the wording on the tender plate below the fire box door handle.

Go here and all is revealed :).

Kindest