7mm Pete’s GWR workbench. Dean's goods. RR R1 class 0-6-2T

Peter Cross

Western Thunderer
Hi Pete , i purloined one of these after my wife got it as a freeby from one of those shopping magazine's. I find its easier to mix the goop at the bottom of the tin/ jar first then use the electric stirrer to finish off otherwise it just stalls .
Ref the brown paint over the cream , i think you may find the cream actually covers easier but let us know . I model LNWR and after reading Larry G on this site decided when spraying some coaches to spray the plum first then the spilt milk ( white ) second . It covered the plum easily whereas the plum needed quite a few passes over the grey primer to get a a decent coverage .
That's interesting to know, bit late for this one. But I will let everyone know when I mess it up.

Peter Cross

Western Thunderer
If you can, there is an internet image of the GWS K14 interior showing the pink walls/ends.

I have spoken to both Pete Speller and Mick Howse about the colour and the consensus is that the chosen shade matches paint layers found during restoration.
I'll see if I can find the picture, thanks.

Peter Cross

Western Thunderer
Masked and sprayed the brown. It covered better than I feared.
Now can I call it finished before I mess it up completely.

IMG_20220316_091441203_resize_70.jpgIMG_20220316_091342745_resize_43.jpg

Not sure if I will be able to the black tomorrow, as I have to go for yearly check up, and there are domestics too do as well. So it will probably be Friday, gives it more time to cure, always a good thing.

Hope I'm right, I have assumed that in the 1920's and 30's the ends would be black.

Peter Cross

Western Thunderer
Just a quick question, in the 1922 GWR coach livery, was the brown lined out as well as the cream, as per the earlier chocolate and cream livery?

Peter Cross

Western Thunderer
And then there was black.
Unfortunately I had a little brown paint lift with the masking, I'm sure with a little sanding it can be patch paint.
As it goes I am happy with it. My decision now is whether to go with the 1922 livery or the 1927 one. The 27 is by far the easiest to do, but the 22 looks good.

IMG_20220320_100337161_resize_70.jpgIMG_20220320_100329775_resize_59.jpgIMG_20220320_100308020_resize_21.jpgIMG_20220320_100354054_resize_16.jpg

Now back to something I know how to do, cutting metal.

Peter Cross

Western Thunderer
The lining had begun. I started with s yellow, golden colour, but against the cream it seems almost invisible, at least in the light I took the photo.IMG_20220403_122733514.jpg

I was happier with the finish on the cream, I expect I should of given it a coat of gloss varnish as the brown is a Matt finish.

Anyway, I added the black to a portion of it. I need to sort out the lining on the brown, I'm not happy now the blacks on.

IMG_20220403_190752109.jpgIMG_20220403_190826838.jpg

I think I can tidy it using a bit of brown to thin the yellow down.

Peter Cross

Western Thunderer
I've done some more to this. I've done the second side in yellow/gold, it is an improvement but not as good as I hoped.

IMG_20220406_202626902_resize_51.jpgIMG_20220406_202638964_resize_68.jpg

The other side I've completed the black. And there are a couple of bits I should of researched before starting not after. I need to do some more tidying up with the yellow and brown. I was pleased the way the black went on much better than I'd thought.

IMG_20220406_202546367_resize_78.jpgIMG_20220406_202531004_resize_5.jpg

I think in the end it will be passable at normal viewing distance.

Peter Cross

Western Thunderer
The second side has had the black done, and a little other touching up.

IMG_20220408_103723848_resize_58.jpg

The first side has had quite a lot of retouching, I think it's looking better. I will check tomorrow with fresh eyes.

IMG_20220408_103745208_resize_34.jpg

Now I am thinking of transfers, I know it will have GWR on the duckets, luggage and guard on the doors. But does anyone know if it would have crest applied with the 22 livery.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I no longer have the relevant book on early GWR coaches, however, I think it doubtful this elderly non-passenger carrying carried GWR 1922-28 livery. It probably carried brown or maroon livery from 1908 to 1922 right through the early years of the post-grouping GWR while the new fully panelled 1922 style chocolate & cream would have gone on passenger coaches first. It was a short-lived livery and so I think it likely this coach went to the simple 1928-40 choc & cream or even all over chocolate. Its withdrawal date might give some clues.

jonte

Western Thunderer
Commendable, Peter.

Lining is something I’d like to try eventually, with a pending investment in a suitable ‘pen’. To this end, I’ve been fascinated by a helpful video or two by Mike Trice which can be found on YouTube

If you’ve seen it, please forgive my interruption, but one measure I recall from watching was his use of a ‘new’ tin of paint (Humbrol) for each subject to ensure a compatible flow of paint. Respectfully Peter, I only mention this as I can’t help noticing that the tin of paint you appear to have been using, from the photographs anyway, looks as though it may have been in your possession for some time?

I sincerely hope you don’t mind my interjection, but just an observation.

Jonte

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
I suspect that new tins of Humbrol paint aren't the easiest things to get hold of in Brazil. Mind you, they aren't easy to get here either (and the recent quality can be a bit suspect).

Phil O

Western Thunderer
According to gwr.org. uk, the garter lasted until the '27 livery change then the twin crests came in.

Peter Cross

Western Thunderer
I suspect that new tins of Humbrol paint aren't the easiest things to get hold of in Brazil. Mind you, they aren't easy to get here either (and the recent quality can be a bit suspect).
I've actually loads of unopened tinlets I used to sell them. But most are ex China manufactured. And no better than older open humbrol, and precision paints.

Peter Cross

Western Thunderer
Commendable, Peter.

Lining is something I’d like to try eventually, with a pending investment in a suitable ‘pen’. To this end, I’ve been fascinated by a helpful video or two by Mike Trice which can be found on YouTube

If you’ve seen it, please forgive my interruption, but one measure I recall from watching was his use of a ‘new’ tin of paint (Humbrol) for each subject to ensure a compatible flow of paint. Respectfully Peter, I only mention this as I can’t help noticing that the tin of paint you appear to have been using, from the photographs anyway, looks as though it may have been in your possession for some time?

I sincerely hope you don’t mind my interjection, but just an observation.

Jonte
I will look these up, I've not seen this but, have Rathbones book and videos.

Peter Cross

Western Thunderer
The end is getting closer. Today a bit more tidying, and transfer application. I have numbered it 899, which as far as I can see was the last to be withdrawn. I will now give it a few days to settle, then give it a coat of varnish. Once that is done I can get on an do the cleaning, floor and partitions. Maybe even some salmon pink inside.

Here's the first side.

IMG_20220409_221104691_resize_22.jpgIMG_20220409_221121779_BURST001_resize_92.jpg

Now the second side.

IMG_20220409_145027307_resize_93.jpgIMG_20220409_145047049_resize_33.jpg

This is about as good as I think I can get it. I dislike painting, it seems to take up far more time than some of the construction.

Deano747

Western Thunderer
The end is getting closer. Today a bit more tidying, and transfer application. I have numbered it 899, which as far as I can see was the last to be withdrawn. I will now give it a few days to settle, then give it a coat of varnish. Once that is done I can get on an do the cleaning, floor and partitions. Maybe even some salmon pink inside.

Here's the first side.

View attachment 160557View attachment 160558

Now the second side.

View attachment 160556View attachment 160559

This is about as good as I think I can get it. I dislike painting, it seems to take up far more time than some of the construction.
A lovely job, Pete, on what does not appear to be an easy project. Well done!!

Regards, Rob.