7mm Pete’s GWR workbench. Dean's goods. RR R1 class 0-6-2T

Peter Cross

Western Thunderer
Back to paint problems, you may remember the K3 roof was white, well I masked up the centre section, sprayed the eaves brown. Peeled the tape off and a few spots of white paint. So when dry I sanded these down, they did become quite large but not enough to worry me. I masked up the brown, a light dust of etching primer. Bingo the white crazed in one place. So sanded that back, and the primer on the naked brass next to it peeled right off. Sanded it down again, used some non etching primer, every thing crackled. Right I thought I'll cure this, out with the thinners, the old white and new primer came off with ease. Would the brown which is over the same white, come off no. 1 hour wasted picking and scratching at it, so what made the paint here so resistant to thinners?

Well this is where we are now. Paint off, sanded all over washed with detergent. When dry will wash with thinners, and spray with primer again.

IMG_20220423_102930309_resize_11.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Wash brass with Ajax powder. Spray on Halfords Acid 8 etc primer. A couple of hours later Halfords white primer. Why not brush the brown on over such a small area. A quick wipe with acrylic (dont work it) and it'll dry with a good surface. Alternatively Phoenix Precision GWR brown satin enamel. Again try to brush it on as speedily as possible. If you must spray the brown, I doubt anything you use for masking will pull the paint off.

Peter Cross

Western Thunderer
Wash brass with Ajax powder. Spray on Halfords Acid 8 etc primer. A couple of hours later Halfords white primer. Why not brush the brown on over such a small area. A quick wipe with acrylic (dont work it) and it'll dry with a good surface. Alternatively Phoenix Precision GWR brown satin enamel. Again try to brush it on as speedily as possible. If you must spray the brown, I doubt anything you use for masking will pull the paint off.
I find that Ajax powder sometimes leaves a white residue in the corners which have been soldered. No matter how hard it's been scrubbed under running water.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I find that Ajax powder sometimes leaves a white residue in the corners which have been soldered. No matter how hard it's been scrubbed under running water.
I sprinkle Ajax powder on the draining board rather than models. Then the wet stiff brush is is poked into the powder to make a cream which is then applied to the model. Never had any problems like you described and I've been using it since I was a lad scubbling pans. My grandparents called it 'panshine' in olden days. I avoid modern creams, but I do occasionally use Brillo pads and then finish off with Ajax to give the surface a key for paint.

simond

Western Thunderer
I use a cream cleaner, Jif, or Cif, or whatever the flavour of the last supermarket we visited, and I have a couple of tooth brushes with the heads and handles “remodelled” to aid access. I rinse it off thoroughly with hot water, before 10 minutes in the ultrasonic bath (usually hot water with a drop of Flash or similar) and a final rinse.

paulc

Western Thunderer
I used a cream cleaner like Simon but was always wary of the powder problem , not that i ever had an issue . I then tried Simple Green which is a liquid that was originally developed for breaking down Ocean oil spills .
I now use it for cleaning up models after sessions with the soldering iron and the dreaded flux as well as prior to painting when i will then also give the model a wash with IPA directly before spraying .
The Simple Green is also handy around the house for general cleaning plus as a degreaser for car stuff so win win .

Peter Cross

Western Thunderer
Well, what do we have to do to get this roof finished.
Since last post it has been primed and I thought I'd do the brown first. All good, had a bit of dust where the white would be. Started sanding it out, off peels the primer.
Dipped in the thinners again. Washed differently. Re primed, using plain primer. Painted white, after finding out my new thinners curdled the paint. So hopefully third time lucky.
Think I'll brush paint the brown as Larry suggested.

IMG_20220426_160321295_HDR_resize_42.jpg