Peteb's Finney 7 drummond M7

daifly

Western Thunderer
Simon
In this case, a potential flaw in the system is revealed.
The ISBN-10 for the Finial Pubs M7 book is 1-900467-03-8
The ISBN-10 for the encyclopaedia is 1-90046-703-8
The 900467 or 90046 code is for the publisher. It's easy to see how the error could occur.
Dave (apologies to Pete for the off-topic rambling!)

PeteB

Gentlemen, no problem.:cool: It is a very good book and I have to say it has been a great help to me during the build.
My offer still stands if you would like me to scan my copy and send it to you.

Pete

daifly

Western Thunderer
Thanks Pete
It's definitely the real thing here!
I'll probably get a copy from there and support the Drummond Locomotive Society.
Dave

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Dave,

If you manage to actually get it can you let me know please? I've previously tried both the Swanage railway and Drummond Society with no luck...

Steph

PeteB

Hiya

I've managed to finish the regulator which I had to scratch build.
I started with a strip of n/s and a spacer.
DSC_1244.JPG
Then soldered together.
I sometimes get so wrapped up in what I'm doing I forget to take pics, so I'll explain with the finished article.

DSC_1246.JPG
I used a 16BA screw for the spindle. I wanted to use a steel nut, I can get rocking horse poo and the odd hens tooth but 16BA steel nuts, not a chance. So I'll touch it up with a bit of paint.
The knob I fashioned out of a pin. I used my minicraft pillar drill laid on it's back so it's like a lathe. I turned down the end to 0.04mm, drilled a hole then soldered in place.
DSC_1247.JPG
The cotter pin was also made from two pins. After drilling through the regulator at the top with a 0.06mm drill, I then hexed the pin heads. I then cut the pin lengths and superglued in place. I didn't want a meltdown!!!!
DSC_1249.JPG
With a scalpel I marked the spit.
The mounting plate was made from 0.10" brass. I used two 1/32 rivets, again hexing the heads, drilled the plate and soldered them in place. I rounded off a 16BA nut as a spacer and bolted together.
DSC_1250.JPG

DSC_1251.JPG
I'm quite happy with the way it's turned out.
One thing I'm not very certain with is the connecting pivot for the connecting rod from the intermediate pivot. I think that makes sense.
It's a bit difficult from the photos, but it looks as though there's a sort of oblong bit sticking out. So a bit of help is required.

Next thing to make it the intermediate pivot.

Steph.
You said that the cab interior should be ochre, which sort of ochre? Phoenix paints has two. BR golden ochre, and Brown ochre, and just to make things awkward, I spoke to Dave's mate at Roxey at the Ally Pally Model rail exhibition and he said it should be LBSCR cab interior tan (stroudley livery)
Could you please put me right on this. Thanks.

By the way it was a great day out at the Ally Pally and it was heaving, but all good fun.

All for now

Pete

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Peter,

I understand the logic, but that's definitely a different colour - more of a pinky biscuit. Warren's got that sorted - the T9s Nick D built are right in having this colour between the frames on his Drummond-era locos.

Actually, I think Warren has got the SR cab colour sorted as well, I recall it being right on Dikitriki's LN.

Steph

warren haywood

Western Thunderer
Peter,

I understand the logic, but that's definitely a different colour - more of a pinky biscuit. Warren's got that sorted - the T9s Nick D built are right in having this colour between the frames on his Drummond-era locos.

Actually, I think Warren has got the SR cab colour sorted as well, I recall it being right on Dikitriki's LN.

Steph

0BAC9305-268C-46D0-8C44-5255134A58BA.jpeg

That’s the best view of the interior although this has had wood graining over the brown
The frames were also this colour but not grained!
I think the official term was biscuit if I remember

8FD9B6AC-93DD-4A36-BB95-47420EAE855F.jpeg

If I remember i think this is Mick Roffe’s M7 as seen on Finney 7 stand

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Warren,

That's slightly at cross-purposes; cab interiors in Drummond livery should be grained, and yes the Salmon Pink could be a good base colour - hadn't thought of that. It's also thought that some of the less prestige locos probably didn't have the graining, so the M7 is probably fine too.

Again, in Drummond livery, Salmon Pink is used between the frames from the cylinder back to the frame stretcher in front of the firebox, including the motion - the same areas that were later painted red.

Salmon Pink isn't really very pink - certainly not as we'd understand the description today. I think it was probably me who suggested to you it was a biscuit colour (from a description by Chris Wesson, IIRC).

In SR days the cab interiors of locos built and/or maintained at Eastleigh were changed to ochre (my description - 'Interior Tan' might well be the correct name), without graining.

So, Pete, the cab interior colour for your M7 should be a sort of mucky orange- brown ochre colour.

Steph

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Thanks for that Pete - I'd no idea it was an 'official' colour, so I've learnt something new as well! :thumbs:

Steph

2-Bil

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the detective work regarding the M7 cabs Push Pull arrangement id often wondered what it looked like ....Regarding the Cab colours I've a query or three..............FIRST...Steph,does R in SR cover Railway and Region?....SECOND....was Eastleigh the only works using the "black and tan"cab paint scheme after 1948 ?.......THIRD.......Does anyone know if any LP/MNs got a "bi-colour"cab after Nationalisation? Id assumed , possibly wrongly,that cab interiors were black. LAST...the"Latest News"March 2016 posting of the Bluebell Railways Atlantic Group has a photo of one side of Beachy Head Juniors cab.It may be of use as another colour reference.......Its shade looks similar to the colour of a "Caramac"bar a long gone truly rank tasting "confection"from back in the day.............Anyway, Looking forward to seeing your M7 wearing its Mixed Traffic coat, a livery that(arguably) suits it best of all.......................................Regards etc Brian W

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Brian,
Yes, to the best of my knowledge, cab interiors were tan/black in both SR and BR(S) eras. Possibly except Bullied Pacifics; to confirm that, the cab interior of 34051 Winston Churchill is probably the one to check for BR era (all black?), 21C123 Blackmore Vale for Southern (all white?).
I'm not 100% sure about Ashford repairs/overhauls (I've not really researched that yet), but Eastleigh and Brighton were generally using black/tan for cab interiors.

Steph

2-Bil

Western Thunderer
Steph.....Thanks for the info .I didn't know till now that on BR(s) bi-colour cabs were,by and large, the norm .... The few colour images that give opportunity to peer into LP/MNs cabs do seem to show a uniformly black paint job...................Hi Peter, what you said about "CARAMAC BARS" is surprise.Ive seen none of the stuff on sale for years..........Best wishes etc BW