Pics from Pengwynn Crossing

SouthernFan Ian

Western Thunderer
Before I went to the Dark Side (7mm scale Southern), I was happily modelling blue diesels in Cornwall after reading John Vaughn's evocative book on Cornish China Clay Trains.
Recently on WT, I spied a request for an article I wrote for MRJ's 50th edition. The article was on converting a Lima Class 50 into a rather shabby looking NWSE version. Pics of this and others will follow but in the meantime, here's some pics of the china clay works called 'Wheal Mannidge'. All scratch built with the actual build date in the eaves of the main building.
Hopefully, when I regain access to a scanner, I can post more pictures of Pengwynn Crossing, including the bright yellow BT Telecomms DMU I built after a friend suggested, " I bet you can't make one of those". Anyway, here's 'Wheal Mannidge' to be going on with.....
Regards
Ian

20150530_0013-1200px.jpg
20150530_0012-1200px.jpg

Last edited:

steve1

Western Thunderer
Nice to see the layout again. I remember seeing it in its heyday at Chippenham and elsewhere.

I also remember the furore your 50 article caused amongst MRJ readers as it dared to be OO and not, shock, horror, 'finescale'.

steve

SouthernFan Ian

Western Thunderer
Hello Steve, it was when I exhibited at IMREX, when Bob Barlow and a colleague were seen deep in conversation in front of Pengwynn Crossing. It made my day to be asked to write an article for MRJ.
Here's the subject of the article in glorious weather beaten colour.

IMG_2404.jpg

This is the Telecomms DMU, a heavily re-worked Lima product.
IMG_2408.jpg

Another pic of Wheal Mannidge, this time with Ratio clay hoods, every clay hood has a scratch built hood using tissue paper coated with plastic sprue melted in Mek Pak.

IMG_2406.jpg

and last but not least, a couple of Airfix 16 tonners with suitable weathering.
IMG_2405.jpg
If I can find any more pics, I'll post them on here. My friends and I had a lots of fun with Pengwynn Crossing, they were great days.
Regards,
Ian

Last edited:

JasonBz

Western Thunderer
Oh how fine to see Pengwynn again! Please do post any more images you have.
Times and techniques may move along, but few ever capture that slightly bleak and desolate feeling of the area so well.

Jeremy Good

Western Thunderer
Great to see those photos. I think it was the Railway Modeller “Railway of the Month” article that got me back into the hobby after a long break.

The MRJ article helped open my eyes as to what was possible with RTR stock but I’m still striving to get anywhere near that standard. Would love to see more photos of the layout in its original iteration.

Jeremy

AJC

Western Thunderer
The Telecom DMU! I remember the model (at one of the Bristol shows in the old Temple Meads, I think,among other occasions) but only saw the real thing once, in passing, at Westbury. I haven’t seen Pengwyn itself for a few years now: I guess Bentley MRC still have it?

Adam

SouthernFan Ian

Western Thunderer
The Telecom DMU! I remember the model (at one of the Bristol shows in the old Temple Meads, I think,among other occasions) but only saw the real thing once, in passing, at Westbury. I haven’t seen Pengwyn itself for a few years now: I guess Bentley MRC still have it?

Adam

I assume so too, but haven't heard or seen anything since Bentley MRC took ownership. I've often fancied building Pengwynn again but in 7mm. I haven't got the space for a 1980's diesel layout but quite fancy an earlier period with lake coloured coaches. Can't quite bring myself to say G....R () so I'll stay with Southern for the time being.
Regards,
Ian

I assume so too, but haven't heard or seen anything since Bentley MRC took ownership. I've often fancied building Pengwynn again but in 7mm. I haven't got the space for a 1980's diesel layout but quite fancy an earlier period with lake coloured coaches. Can't quite bring myself to say G....R () so I'll stay with Southern for the time being.
Regards,
Ian
Hi Ian, Thanks for sharing the pics, I remember the Railway Modeller article and kept it for years as it was one of my favourite layouts of the era. I was a member of Bentley until 7 years ago and they still had PC, indeed I took it to Wokingham show c 2007. Around 2008 the scenic part by Wheal Mannidge was extended to allow the fiddle yard behind it to accommodate longer trains and also some work was done to enable it to portray steam/early diesel era by my friend Dave Spencer. The original stock was still owned by Geoff Endacott, but by this time the Lima motors were showing their age. It hasn't been out in a while as the electrics needed work and to my knowledge it is stored in Bentleys club room after Geoff passed away. The membership of Bentley has changed over time but I will ask next time I see one of them what is going on.

An O gauge version would be epic...