4mm Milford-On-Sea - was Plumtree Cross

Nick C

Western Thunderer
So, having caught up with a few threads, time to start my own on my current project - For those who were following on RMWeb, the story has changed a bit since first posted!

A little known part of the Colonel Stephen's empire - so little known, in fact, that the history books forgot to mention it, The Hundred of Easwrith Light Railway meandered it's way through a sparsely-populated patch of rural West Sussex, petering to a halt at the small village of Plumtree Cross. Like most such lines, it's entire existence was a struggle, with passenger patronage rarely justifying more than one coach, and most of it's revenue coming from a factory adjacent to the terminus. Facing bankruptcy and closure, it was taken over by the Southern Railway, and found a bit of resurgence during the war, as the factory became busy producing important stuff for the MOD, and at the end of hostilities, used it's new-found contacts to secure some lucrative export contracts, keeping the line going until the late fifties. Other than a repaint into SR colours, and the ubiquitous anti-blackout markings, nothing of note changed over the last 30-odd years of the line's existence, merely the colours of the stock, and the road vehicles in the goods yard, denoting the passing of time.

This then brings us to the era of the layout - either '46-'47 after the war, or into the mid-fifties approaching closure, as my mood takes me - initially it was intended to focus on the earlier era, but most of my current stock is from the latter, so that's more likely to appear in photos for a while...

The track plan is pretty simple, shamelessly pinched from @NHY581, although with the start of the loop off-stage for reasons of space. Track is Peco Bullhead, with British Finescale pointwork. Trees are from MBR, still in their boxes at the moment for protection!

Here's the current state of the layout - the left-hand exit goes to the factory, the other two to the end of the loop and the rest of the world:
IMG_20220328_141216560.jpg
And the station building, based on that at Northiam:
IMG_20220328_141308029.jpg

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning Nick,

Top stuff all round really. You've done a lovely job on the station building. Really captured the 'Col Stephens' look.

I take it that it's a scratchbuild in plasticard?

Rob.

Nick C

Western Thunderer
I take it that it's a scratchbuild in plasticard?
Yep, my first attempt at a proper building. The shell is 20 thou plasticard, with cladding from South Eastern Finecast corrugated sheeting - the vacuum formed sort. I've not worked out how I'm going to do the canopy valencing yet, or the windows for that matter! The window frames are fairly crude too, I'm not sure whether to add more detail to them or to rely on the fact that they're half-hidden under the canopy - I might have a play with the ones on the back first, which will be totally invisible as it's hard up against the backscene... It also still needs a ridge, finials and guttering on the roof, a roof for the little store, and the rest of the gents finishing, then paint and detailing.

The goods shed is a Bachmann RTP example, and the buffer stops are Lanarkshire LBSCR pattern ones. The water tower is also scratchbuilt, based on the one at Hodson's mill, KESR, and also needs painting.

I finished wiring the sector plate last night, after realising that the brass pins I'm using for alignment aren't sufficiently reliable for current transmission, so it's now got switches for each road.

I think the next job is to build the platform, and the loading/cattle dock which will sit at the end of the front siding. Once they're in place (or at least built) I can think about ballasting...

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Nick, I like the simplicity but I am a sucker for ‘small’ layouts. The corrugated hut is simply superb, did you use Slaters corrugated plastic sheet?

BR

Nick C

Western Thunderer
Nick, I like the simplicity but I am a sucker for ‘small’ layouts. The corrugated hut is simply superb, did you use Slaters corrugated plastic sheet?

BR
Thanks!

The building uses the vacuum-formed sheets from South Eastern Finecast, over a shell of 20 thou plain plasticard. It's based on the station building at Northiam, on the KESR. I must get on and finish it - still quite a lot left to do - windows, doors, canopy valencing, ridge, guttering and downpipes, the gents, and then painting...

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Nick,

Having been guilty of building a series of similar small layouts in HO* I have an unopened packet containing a SMS board that might become an exercise in minimalism. Much I admire your beautiful concoction in corrugated, my current ability limits me to either the Peco laser-cut wooden station or more likely their cricket pavilion, the latter being more in keeping with the style of an impecunious light railway served by a B4.

*Now a gratuitous image of my final HO layout - just 2,4m in its socks.

D4652232-BE0D-4811-8022-FB34B43E00F9.jpeg
Tim

Nick C

Western Thunderer
Thanks Tim,

Nothing wrong with Peco kits - the rest of the buildings on Plumtree Cross will be kits (other than the RTP Bachmann goods shed) - I don't have the time to even consider scratchbuilding everything... The brick hut at the fiddle-yard end is from Scale Model Scenery, and I've got a couple more of their farm type buildings to go with it, although I may not use them all, I don't want to fill the space too much.

Ballasting is slowly progressing, about 2/3 of the plain track and 1.5 points done so far...

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Nick,
at the risk of repeating myself, I do like the concept of Plumtree Cross, it is a pleasure to encounter a Southern layout amongst a throng of others. Keep the faith and good luck

Tim

Nick C

Western Thunderer
Ballasting done, though it still needs weathering
IMG_20220502_195214163.jpg

I then spent all day yesterday shunting - not on the layout , but in 12in/ft at Alresford. I now have great respect for the guys who do it all the time - everything takes a lot longer than you think, and it's seriously hard work - and that was with three of us (driver, shunter and signaller (me)) sharing the labour...

Last edited:
Ballast woes

Nick C

Western Thunderer
Well this is odd...

I decided to have an operating session on the layout yesterday evening, to check it all worked after ballasting. It doesn't. It has a short - or rather, several. After a visual check of everything, and some prodding with the multimeter, I tipped the board up and started disconnecting feeds. Ended up cutting the lot - short still present. Checked all the cast crossings, all fine, no continuity between them and the adjacent rails.

Then jabbed the probes into the ballast - and at about 2mm distance, enough continuity to trigger the buzzer... So I think I have conductive ballast? Has anyone else seen that? Am I going crazy?

It only happens with the geoscenics siding ballast - doing the same with the woodland scenics on the running line shows open circuit, and indeed those rails don't have a short. Both were glued down with WWScenics ballast glue.

Nick C

Western Thunderer
Thanks Simon - I've been doing the ballasting gradually over the past month though, so most of it has had much more than 2 days to dry...

simond

Western Thunderer
I think that it should be ok once it’s thoroughly dry.

I use latex glue as I like real granite chippings and pva turns them green

Nick C

Western Thunderer
I just tried a little test, on the area I did earliest - so it's had a month for the glue to dry. Connected the controller in series with the multimeter, and set it to amps, then turned the controller on full, and connected it to the rails with a pair of crocodile clips - 0.2A for that bit (which isn't showing a direct short on the buzzer), 0.5A on the bit that is.

I then stuck the probe of the meter into the ballast, and touched the clip from the controller near it - at around 5-6mm there was enough juice flowing to see sparks flitting through the ballast!

simond

Western Thunderer
Oh dear. That’s not good.

We had an issue at a previous employer where the remains of flux used to solder connectors to a wiring harness of a large battery was sufficiently conductive to cause the battery management system to shut down. We were able to wash it off using ipa, but I fear that’ll not offer you a solution.

I’m not sure it’ll help, but I would try to make some test pieces. Is it the glue, or the ballast itself, or the mixture?

Perhaps make some tokens, maybe visiting card sized, ideally plasticard or similar, bit of PCB strip down each side, and try various mixes, you can measure the resistance as the glues dry.