4mm Podimore: Double Roman

Daddyman

Western Thunderer
No reason - barring distraction - I simply forgot to buy any last time I saw it for sale, I’m afraid! On the list for Expo in May…

Adam
So do you think I'll get away with 5 thou and D-Limonene on a first plastic scratchbuild (the LMS van you helped me with)? Or should I be less ambitious?!

AJC

Western Thunderer
Do I sense that the wiring is getting closer, barring distractions…? :)

Closer! Today, however, the boy and I are on the Teppichbahn:

C040E7F9-DC43-46B0-832F-4071C457EC83.jpeg

So do you think I'll get away with 5 thou and D-Limonene on a first plastic scratchbuild (the LMS van you helped me with)? Or should I be less ambitious?!

I reckon for a solvent, that’s probably the best bet. Colin Parks used Humbrol liquid poly’ for his EMUs and I wonder if it’s much the same thing, just a bit more viscous? As I think I said before, superglue is safer for overlays (and goes off quickly, of course). Definitely worth a test piece though.

Adam

simond

Western Thunderer

View attachment 184694

I reckon for a solvent, that’s probably the best bet. Colin Parks used Humbrol liquid poly’ for his EMUs and I wonder if it’s much the same thing, just a bit more viscous? As I think I said before, superglue is safer for overlays (and goes off quickly, of course). Definitely worth a test piece though.

Adam

enjoy! Those days are long behind. We had the classic Brio & clones, and a rather entertaining thing called Happy Tracks, iirc. That was quite fun, it was battery driven, and went when the driver was placed in the cab, a sort of primitive dead-man…

Today, Madame, young Sir and little Miss are beating hell out of the pistes of Val Thorens, Dad has done his morning’s ski, enjoyed lunch en famille, and has retired to the armchair…

AJC

Western Thunderer
Thanks, Adam. Yes, I do keep forgetting the superglue idea.

Not my idea - but it works for me, it may not for you - a chat with Gordon Gravett (though he mainly uses ABS and works in a bigger scale(s), of course) suggested it was worth a go. Geoff Kent has got on well with Di-Lemonene, I gather, I just haven't got around to buying any...

Adam

AJC

Western Thunderer
Incremental detail time. Once the vents are on, I shan't be able to put off the boltheads much longer. Yes, the dropped hinges are based on the real thing. The end stanchions are laminated 30 thou' - it's much easier to cut strips of that accurately than 60 thou' sheet.

Brighton_Van_Store.jpg

Adam

Barry37

Western Thunderer

View attachment 184694

Adam
Nice to see someone remembering my late brother.
Humbrol Liquid Poly is definitely more viscous than the quick-evaporating solvent types. Has a bit of a "memory effect" though - parts tend to return to the position they were in when first joined, which is quite troublesome on things like brake shoes.
Brush-stored-in-the-jar solvents (Liquid Poly, Deluxe Plastic Magic, etc.) become contaminated by dissolved plastic and lose their strength.

I have the last unsold set of Colin's scratch-built EMUs - a 2HAL. Glazing on this is panes the size of the opening, prevented from being pushed in by a larger glazing piece inside. Unfortunately, the small panes were fixed with varnish, which hasn't lasted, and the coaches tend to shed panes when handled.

Barry

AJC

Western Thunderer
Before I head off on holiday, and after a few weeks off because of bathroom works, I’ve put a first pass of paint on the platform store, along with lettering that will be, hopefully, faintly visible under flaky grey paint - which is why the rather scruffy attempt at it is excusable.

1FD63905-09FD-42A2-81BC-60BB28C47FF1.jpeg

Adam

Last edited:

AJC

Western Thunderer
Before I head off on holiday, and after a few weeks off because of bathroom works, I’ve put a first pass of paint on the platform store, along with lettering that will be, hopefully, faintly visible under flaky grey paint - which is why the rather scruffy attempt at it is excusable.

View attachment 193353

Adam

And the next phase:

9DA98AD2-E14E-4AB2-BD90-A2E6F8F22C44.jpeg

485418AD-22AA-44C5-A354-923963633F1B.jpeg

The vestiges of the ‘SR’ lettering are just about visible, which is what’s wanted. Once the paint has dried though, I need to add some thin tissue to the roof, just to add a few wrinkles. Then it’ll be time for more paint effects.

Adam

EDIT - it's at this point that I realised that a few boltheads had gone missing in action: now restored and touched up.

Last edited:

AJC

Western Thunderer
And here’s the canvassed roof. I think these weathered and aged differently in fixed positions so the rippling and folds are appropriate for a static body in a way that they wouldn’t be for a van in service.

1F5F4220-6C89-48F4-8BE9-97E0FE39CA44.jpeg

We’ll have to see how this paints up once it’s dry, and then a bit of gentle weathering just to blend it all in.

Adam

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Very, very nice. When I was ‘Southern’ I approached exLBSCR vans using Smallbrook’s example, it was a body only resin kit.

Tim

Reactions: AJC

AJC

Western Thunderer
Very, very nice. When I was ‘Southern’ I approached exLBSCR vans using Smallbrook’s example, it was a body only resin kit.

Tim

Thanks Tim - I'd looked at the Smallbrook kit (after I'd assembled the carcass of this one) and while it's not bad at all, I reckoned I could compete. They're attractive vans, I think (with the wheels on), there's something about the relatively short wheelbase for a relatively long body that I quite like.

Adam

AJC

Western Thunderer
Not a lot of activity here, though I am starting work on point actuators. Anyway, this shot from the incredibly prolific Roger Joanes, hopefully shows the sort of thing I have in mind, the Bradfords lorry is part of the plan, too. Bradfords were the ubiquitous Yeovil-based builders and coal merchants (they had branches everywhere - in my scheme the nearest one would be at Ilchester, I don't think that they ever did, but a railway would change the metric: they're still going!):

Adam

Last edited:

MarkR

Western Thunderer
My local Bradford's is my go to place for all things diy, and the yard worker is a railway modeller! They always seem to to based very near to a railway, presumably because they were originally coal merchants.
Mark

AJC

Western Thunderer
My local Bradford's is my go to place for all things diy, and the yard worker is a railway modeller! They always seem to to based very near to a railway, presumably because they were originally coal merchants.
Mark

The yards were railway adjacent - for deliveries, of course. The Yeovil HQ neighboured Hendford Goods, and for a long time had a very large Exmouth Junction produced precast shed...

Adam