HO Poison Street Parcels - an H0 BR Parcels Depot micro.

cloggydog

With my 009 Vale of Rheidol micro Mynydd y Ddraig completed, I need a new layout project to keep the modelling juices flowing.

I also wanted to try an alternative baseboard, rather than use another Lack. Both Nové Město and Dounreay were maybe too constrained by the 110cm x 26cm of the Lack (and may yet get reworked slightly bigger)

And lastly I wanted to make more use of all that H0 scale NPCCS I've built (and continue to build) for Dounreay.

I'd initially though of something based on the the parcels bays at Worcester Shrub Hill and Oxford, 'V' - shaped platform with an overall roof

Worcester Shrub Hill (7th photo on this site). And at the DEMU Showcase last weekend I got a whole slab of inspiration from Steve Farmer's superb O Gauge micro Knype Bridge, so Poison Street will be an amalgam of the 2 ideas.

I'll be making the baseboard from 4mm ply and the overall dimensions will be 120cm long, x 30cm wide x 23cm tall, as a cameo type arrangment with integral lighting. Front-operated and table-top (like the Lack micros). The layout is pointless, 4 roads on the 70cm scenic section fed from a 2 or 3 road 50cm sector plate. Track will be Peco Code 75, as I have plenty on hand.

Here's the initial mock-up, testing road capacity. The Roco NS 500 will get Anglicised as a Class 11 in due course. Some DPUs would be an interesting addition, with a GRCW 128 doable from a Lima Mk2 and a Cravens 129 hacked out of a Playcraft shorty Mk1, both with Silhouette-cut sides.
IMG_20240617_114920.jpgIMG_20240617_113145.jpg

I may also explore options to easily swap key structures and signage to allow dual use with my Deutsche Reichsbahn Epoch 4 H0 stock, as I have a quantity of DR parcels/mail vans in the stash...

As for the layout name... well, it's a song by my favourite band :D

DougT

Western Thunderer
I must admit to be tempted to call my layout ‘Fascination Street’ for very similar reasons!

cloggydog

Baseboard constructed, the back board just tacked in place at the mo to allow better access for track-laying, wiring and scenics.

The 4mm ply is easy enough to cut with a Stanley and long metal rule, so keeping construction mess to a minimum. And it's certainly light, about half the weight of any of the Lack-based projects at a similar stage.

Track-base, sector plate, wiring and testing to follow, probably next week (as we're away at a Steampunk event over the coming weekend.)

IMG_20240625_073956.jpgIMG_20240625_074259.jpg