7mm Polbrock - About a Camel and a Badgers Pool

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Lovely image.

That's an interesting trio of brake vans bringing up the rear.

To this untrained sheep's eye, it looks like an ex-LMS standard 20t jobbie, a BR Standard 20t and a ex-LNER Toad E maybe (?)

Rob.

I thought the same too.

Simon

Flying Squad
A lovely picture Jelle, and like Chris I hadn't seen it before either.

The Toad E on the end is why I'm building one in 1/32, there were several the West Country in that period and they were used on trains beyond and off the B&W line. There is a lovely end shot of one at South Brent with NB D6333 on a Kingsbridge to Hackney freight on 9th August 1963 on p56 of David Cable's "Hydraulics in the West".

Sticking with wagons, does anyone else think that the old looking low 7 plank behind the Beattie was in use as a loco coal truck? I ask because it appears in the same position in quite a lot of photographs and it looks too "delightfully old" to have been out on the main line. I think the same wagon features in several shots in Michael Clemens' "Steam Trails The Withered Arm".

I can't identify its number or type from the photographs I have at my disposal, but to would be a good subject for a model, with all its different colours of painted and unpainted wood.

Really lovely modelling by the way Jelle, thank you for joining in with WT!

Simon

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
A lovely picture Jelle, and like Chris I hadn't seen it before either.

Sticking with wagons, does anyone else think that the old looking low 7 plank behind the Beattie was in use as a loco coal truck? I ask because it appears in the same position in quite a lot of photographs and it looks too "delightfully old" to have been out on the main line. I think the same wagon features in several shots in Michael Clemens' "Steam Trails The Withered Arm".

I can't identify its number or type from the photographs I have at my disposal, but to would be a good subject for a model, with all its different colours of painted and unpainted

Simon

Morning Simon,

Looking at it, I think it's actually a six plank open. Further examination suggests ( to me at least) that the first part of the number is either an E or a B.
I'm going with E for now.
The side door has an angled lower 'plank' and two 'bump stops' below.

Therefore, I wonder whether or not this is an ex-LNER open that has been pressed into service for the purpose you mention.

I attach an image which I'm unable to credit at present.

EWFHpNzVAAA2HzY.jpeg.jpg

Rob.

AJC

Western Thunderer
Morning Simon,

Looking at it, I think it's actually a six plank open. Further examination suggests ( to me at least) that the first part of the number is either an E or a B.
I'm going with E for now.
The side door has an angled lower 'plank' and two 'bump stops' below.

Therefore, I wonder whether or not this is an ex-LNER open that has been pressed into service for the purpose you mention.

I attach an image which I'm unable to credit at present.

View attachment 154553

Rob.

That’s the type in the Pirt photo: a standard LNER 6 plank open on a wooden underframe. Interestingly, since it’s lost all its paint (wooden frame wagons weren’t supposed to have been painted until ‘59 - but sometimes were), it’s been fitted with steel channels in place of the bottom two planks. So far as I know that’s a BR thing - the idea was to protect the lower part of the ends from shifting loads and you see it on all kinds of open highs. It’s possible it was a sort of skip or small items repository or in use as a reach wagon in the yard.

The RCH seven plank behind the 16 tonner is in a similar state, and I guess the consist looks like loco coal (just a guess).

Adam

Last edited:

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
The interesting thing for me regarding the first wagon is the white staining.

rps20220107_091315.jpg
(Extract from Joelle Jan's link for illustrative purposes only)

It's typical of wagons that have been up the Wenford line and exposed to the clay works and associated white dust. Look at the white on the wheel tyre rims. This seems to be a feature of wagons shunted through the clay works where there was clay dust / sludge on the ground.

It sort of says to me that this wagon has travelled rather than lived at Wadebridge as a match wagon. The steel replacement planks in the ends are interesting though as they didn't generally want the loose clay coming into contact with rusty steel.

Simon

Flying Squad
Well deduced Holmes!

Yes, a six plank, I was counting the curb rail. I agree about the type too, so another ex LNE wagon finishing its days in the far west - the plot thickens, or not, as the case may be.

I think that Penholmes theory of it being for "general stuff" fits well, I guess coal could still have been included.

Wouldn't it be great to find an actual recollection of what it was doing, unlikely at this remove. I absolutely love the way that these tiny details of history are so wagontastically fascinating!

And all a really great subject for Jelle's lovely modelling.

Simon

Reactions: AJC

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Just wondering if the LNER 6 plank could have delivered firebricks or flue linings. It looks in pretty good shape to me, straight with no damaged planks. The odd thing is that it looks like it was painted black, maybe just severely soot discoloured brown.

Reactions: AJC

Jelle Jan

rps20220107_091315.jpg

(Extract from Joelle Jan's link for illustrative purposes only)
This is an interesting diversion. Do I see the yellow text 'FOR CLAY ONLY / EMPTY TO WADEBRIDGE S.R.' as used on non end door clay wagons on the third plank from above? I do have another photo of an Eastern wagon (5 plank E 311217) with 'FOR CLAY ONLY / EMPTY TO WADEBRIDGE S.R.' on it.

Jelle Jan

Last edited:

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
2 more illustrative extracts of wagons (source: The Withered Arm by Peter Waller).

Wadebridge late 1963 W131141?
IMG_20220107_140504.jpg

Boscarne Jct, undated but 30587 has "British Railways" on the splasher
IMG_20220107_140524_1.jpg
I think the 2nd wagon back has the branfing mentioned by Helle Jan. I would be interested in people's identification of the wagon types though. Happy to take this to another thread if required.

Jelle Jan

There it is, an extract of a photo at Wenfordbridge by P. Fidczuk, one of several interesting photos and Excel number lists sent to me by Colin Withey, once also viewable in the China Clay Modellers group on Yahoo:

E311217 Wenfordbridge c1962 - P Fidczuk.jpg

Jelle Jan

Last edited:
Grass and bushes

Jelle Jan

Thanks for all the likes and interest. Then the christmas holiday came... two weeks of modelling. It started with shaping the hill, not directly the most interesting part, but then it was time for all the green stuff. A few days ago the following photo appeared elsewhere on WT, here it is again:

20220102_dsc_5865_1500x800.jpg

The area to the left of the stone shed still needed some work, but look what happened in the last few days:

20220107_dsc_5871_1500x900.jpg

And zooming in on the latest work:

20220107_dsc_5872_1500x1000.jpg

The hole below the stairs and the brown spot to the right of it will disappear behind the steep climbing road.

So that's the current state of Polbrock, with some work to do in the garden behind this hedge.

Jelle Jan

Last edited:

Simon

Flying Squad
Really lovely and inspiring work Jelle, it looks very natural.

It makes me want to get back to my own workbench, glazing windows is my current preoccupation....

Simon

Jelle Jan

The trees in the background, or better large bushes, are made by MBR in Poland, so I bought them in. The hedges on the retaining wall and in front of the stairs (so what I added in the last few days), are a product called shrubbery, also from MBR. It's a square of 15cm x 15cm, that I cut to larger and smaller pieces to shape those hedges, which took me several hours.

The grass is from grass mats from two Dutch manufacturers, Martin Welberg and Lars op 't Hof, real quality stuff. Most of the other smaller bushes, part of which I planted as a hedgerow behind the garden, and also the grass tufts, are also from Martin Welberg.

Jelle Jan

Jelle Jan

Today I had the pleasure of adding a little more colour to the garden. When glue starts to smell like lavender. And one wonders where the cottage occupants got that GWR bench...

20220110_dsc_5877_1500x1000.jpg

20220110_dsc_5880_1000x1000.jpg

Jelle Jan

[Edit 10-1-2022 - Photo replaced by two better ones]

Last edited: